Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Love Actually is such a wonderful film. The first time I watched it was in a Navy barracks in Great Lakes Naval Base, Michigan. It was maybe 20 degrees outside and there was nothing else to do. Me and four other young sailors sat in my barracks room crowded around a tiny TV with a built in VCR and watched the movie. We all made fun of it for the first several minutes, feeling insecure about watching a rom com together, but by the end, all of us were engrossed. I even cried a little at times.

Since then, I've seen it five more times. I love it each time I watch it.

My other favorite romantic comedy is Crazy, Stupid Love. Ryan Gosling and Steve Carell kill it.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Can someone recommend to me some great romantic comedies from pre-1980? Preferably ones that also are great films (direction, editing, etc), but really just wonderful love stories make me happy. I plan to watch Harold and Maude, and I've seen Annie Hall, but I want to know more. I've seen all of the essential rom coms of the 80s and onward (because it is secretly my favorite genre), but not many of the ones earlier.

Do people think Some Like it Hot counts? Maybe its the anti romantic comedy.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Looper posted:

Anyway I thought Love, Actually was pretty gross

Why?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The one thing I'll say about Passengers is that it does a very good job of displaying Pratt's spiral into near-madness and the way he grapples with the decision. He spends an entire year alone with zero chance of rescue, ever, and having another person with him is basically a button-press away the entire time. At one point he very nearly commits suicide. Sure, it's a horrible thing to do to a person, but the film earns it and treats his decision, at least up to that point, as wrong. By the end the film ends up saying his choice was okay, though.

• Locked thread