Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Drifter posted:

Ehh. Passengers had a loving awesome hook that was insultingly reduced.
Your initial suspicions are wrong, but ultimately correct about the movie. Is it a spoiler if I mention the villain? the environment

I don't think the movie is worth watching, but not simply because of the squandered potential you could see within it over the course of its showing. It's an interesting premise resolved into boilerplate, by the book poo poo. if you want a cool guy-in-space type movie just watch Moon or something. You've probably gotten most of the enjoyment from the movie from the trailer - maybe, 85% worth.

I thought Passengers was at least decent up until the two-thirds point. Chris Pratt is lonely on a ship, does a lovely thing waking Jennifer Lawrence up, some great visuals on the ship, she finds out and has a suitable horrified response and that plays out for a bit... then Lawrence Fishbourne shows up and he not only basically serves solely to absolve Chris Pratt of guilt and tell J-Law to just try and see things from his perspective, but the whole thing becomes a standard by the numbers plot resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched my first Mexican rom-com today, ¿Qué culpa tiene el niño?/Don't Blame the Kid starring Karla Souza. The basic plot outline is that a rich 30-something woman is at a friend's wedding, flirts heavily with a wedding crasher who is a poor 21 year old still in high school (though she doesn't know that at the time), drinks too much, wakes up the next morning with no memories of the evening before; cut to a month later, she's pregnant, confronts him about it, he says he wants to be the baby's father because his father walked out on his mother when he was born, her senator father is against it and tries to get her to get back with her rich handsome successful ex, typical romcom stuff happens... I'll put the ending in spoilers just in case:

When the baby is born, turns out that it's not actually his, because the baby is actually Asian, and she realizes she never actually slept with him but rather with an Asian guy who was very briefly shown during the wedding party scene. But then it's shown through a montage of earlier scenes how the guy knew from the start that it wasn't his kid and all his comments about it and doing it "for your baby" can be read in that context, he just didn't want the kid to grow up without a father like he did. And while everyone else in her family and friends are horrified when the baby is brought out to be revealed that it's clearly of a different race, it doesn't impact him in the least and he accepts it fully and immediately starts to dote on it.

There are some rather rough edges in the movie in its depiction of class and sexuality and race, also a bit that comes across as generally anti-abortion, even though I suppose most rom-coms dealing with pregnancies have to have the main character reject having an abortion, but it was an interesting look at a critique not only of the rom-com genre but also of telenovelas (it's pretty much the boilerplate storyline, with genders flipped) but also a critique of the socially conservative machismo view of relationships, even if it also doesn't fully escape them. It's on Netflix instant (at least in the US) if anyone is interested.

Actually on the topic, are there any pro-abortion rom-coms?

• Locked thread