Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

blue squares posted:

Can someone recommend to me some great romantic comedies from pre-1980? Preferably ones that also are great films (direction, editing, etc), but really just wonderful love stories make me happy. I plan to watch Harold and Maude, and I've seen Annie Hall, but I want to know more. I've seen all of the essential rom coms of the 80s and onward (because it is secretly my favorite genre), but not many of the ones earlier.

Do people think Some Like it Hot counts? Maybe its the anti romantic comedy.

there's a post upthread which covers some essentials but misses a lot. the essential directors are frank capra, howard hawks, ernst lubitsch, leo mccarey, gregory la cava, george cukor, mitchell leisen, and preston sturges.

essential films that haven't been named include girl shy, twentieth century, design for living, dinner at eight, hands across the table, my man godfrey, easy living, holiday, you can't take it with you, remember the night, christmas in july, that uncertain feeling, the palm beach story, miracle of morgan's creek, ball of fire, the moon is blue

actors who did lots of good work in the genre would be like... claudette colbert, cary grant, irene dunne, katherine hepburn, carole lombard, gary cooper, fred macmurray, henry fonda, barbara stanywck, spencer tracy, jean arthur

my interest begins to wane after the 40s but if you like wilder or mgm musicals or the rock hudson/doris day movies then there may be some of interest to you. that said, i like the later hawks comedies despite their relatively low reputation (like monkey business, i was a male war bride, man's favorite sport?)

post-60s there's not a whole lot to work with... elaine may, albert brooks, james l. brooks, hal hartley, and whit stillman are the key names. and someone already mentioned it but down with love is easily the best post-2000 romantic comedy.

if you want some foreign language stuff, eric rohmer's 80s material is incredble although they are more funny when taken in the broadest possible context rather than in individual moments.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Jenner posted:

I was gonna make a big rear end post about depictions of poverty and families in poverty in movies but I think it is just too loosely connected to Romantic Comedies and there Ilk to be posted in this thread. I'll try to find a thread to post about it in and link to it here for those that are interested. (Or maybe just make a more general "Jenner talks about poo poo" thread in Ask/Tell or Debate and Discussion or something.)

virtually every pre-50s romantic comedy is about class and family

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i was gonna make a longer post but short answer is yes, the romantic comedy in the sound era began during the great depression and acted as escapism from the economic hardship of the time through depicting lavish lifestyles aspirationally while simultaneously mocking them by depicting the idle rich as eccentrics, hapless idiots, alcoholics, or just generally morally callous and the poor as noble and levelheaded, and arguing that love is the great class equalizer. they aren't without their issues though, obviously -- they're hollywood studio product and not the rules of the game.

unfortunately i can't think of any off the top of my head with charitable depictions of poor families rather than poor individuals. in the latter regard, holiday might be the best of the bunch. i'll also suggest sturges, most of his films have a very strong anti-establishment subtext and are extremely subversive for the time. he's sort of like the anti-capra. how something like miracle of morgan's creek made it through the production code is insane.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 10, 2017

• Locked thread