Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jenner posted:

So oh man, can I talk about You've Got Mail? Because I liked it and thought it was good and I feel bad about it because maybe I shouldn't considering what happens in it?

Good things about You've Got Mail:
-First media depiction of online dating?
-Features the original staticy howling scream of the early internet :discourse: (One of the crew is in her late 20s and asked, "What is that noise?" And we told her it was what the internet sounded like and felt so old.)
-The people Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks' characters are dating in the movie are not complete monsters so much as just people they're not compatible with. (However, see bad things below.)
-Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks' characters had genuine chemistry and their interactions were cute. Scratch that, they were adorable.

Bad things:
-Tom Hanks' character's not-Meg Ryan GF is "bad" because she's a working woman who is ambitious and focused on her career. lovely message.
-Tom Hanks' character destroys Meg Ryan's character's way of life and supporting herself. Running a store that had been in her family for at least a generation out of business and devastating her. He has no regrets until he realizes she's the woman he's fallen in love with on the internet then he feels terrible.
-Tom Hanks' character spends a lot of time trying to befriend Meg Ryan's character after learning who she is. Is it creepy? Manipulative? Not exactly and kinda (it's complicated.) But he's being genuine about it because he likes her.

Aside, This is the thing in the movie I struggle with the most. Because guys who try to befriend girls because they like them in the dating sense and not because they just like them as people are one of the worst. These guys are really only your friends in the hopes that they can maneuver themselves into becoming your boyfriend. Their friendship is not genuine because they have ulterior motives and it is just poo poo. But Tom Hanks didn't come off as That Guy. He seemed to just want friendship with Meg Ryan because he liked her as a person (disclaimer, this is what it seemed like to me, one of the crew is not so sure about this.) Still... what did you guys think?

Things I liked about this movie:
-The usual romcom formula is meet -> fall in love -> a misunderstanding/disagreement and a break up -> a reconciling and a getting back together -> happily ever after. This movie kind of plays with the formula because they meet -> dislike each other because they are competitors -> meet in a different context and like each other as people -> don't so much have a misunderstanding or disagreement but rather Tom Hanks' character genuinely hurts Meg Ryan's character (it's not malicious, it's just business :capitalism:) -> The whole thing where Tom Hanks tries to befriend her happens -> Tom Hanks reveals his true identity to Meg Ryan and it's okay because she started to like him too. -> happily ever after.
-Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks characters really seemed to like each other and they played off each other well. It was cute.

This post is long, so long. I'm sorry. You've Got Mail is good and really complicated!

1. This story was done with previous movies, but with pen-pals. I haven't seen the prior ones to compare to how they handled the stalker-ish aspects though.
2. I got the impression more that his first g/f was 'bad' because she didn't care about other people. Not just because she cared about her career.

Sleepless in Seattle is another great one with those 2, and I always laugh at the Dirty Dozen and Bermuda Triangle jokes. The movie it's an homage to, An Affair to Remember, is pretty good (but mostly serious) and is even going to be in theaters for 1 or 2 days next month.

The Doris Day/Rock Hudson movies are great and hilarious, and so is Down With Love, which is a modern amalgamation of them. (efb, but nobody mentioned the spectacular surprise cameo!)
That Cameron Diaz/Kate Winslet house-swap holiday movie is mostly good too, iirc. But speaking of Jack Black and Cameron Diaz, I remember disliking Shallow Hal, can't remember why. 50 First Dates is charming to me though, I don't get the impression he's mind-raping her or whatever some people have said in the past.

La La Land has an (imo) perfect handling of the rom/com. I won't spoil it but I love how it turns out at the end.

Two Weeks Notice is more comedy than romance (and the romance is so-so believable and a little weird too) but it's worth a watch. I haven't seen While You Were Sleeping in a long time, dunno if it still holds up.
The 1982 Conan is more actiony but has a real nice relationship in it. How long do you have to know someone before pledging your life to be together? Not every romance irl needs to take years, imo.
Fools Rush In is pretty good and funny, worth a watch.
Thomas Crown Affair (90's remake) is cool but a little odd. Another middle-aged romance is Bull Durham which I love rewatching when it's on tv.

Jenner posted:

/\/\

Agreed. Many romantic comedies have the message of "Change who you are. Be who he wants to win him." Most romcoms are written by men.

This is why I disliked the ending of Grease. Still an overall cool movie though :/

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread