Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Rom Coms! I hated this genre, but ended up taking a film class on it in college and it made me a little more open to it. It's great if you're the kind of person who likes to tear into bad movies, and also gets a kick out of unexpected gems.

We actually covered You've Got Mail in the class for out final, and I wrote a paper about how it's about the patriarchy reasserting power over the sacred fem through a combination of covert aggression and deception so that women are stockholmed into accepting its perversion. It's actually based on Shop Around the Corner which I think is one of the real foundational films of the genre, like It Happened One Night, and anyone with an interest in the film history should check it out.

As for what I've watched recently, Netflix provided me with a Hugh Grant retrospective that I only partially regret. About a Boy isn't really much of a romcom, but it's a good film and you get to see baby Nicholas Hoult. Four Weddings and a Funeral was pretty cute and had a fairly modern for the time perspective on relationships. Which is only significant because I watch Nine Months after it which is probably one of the most regressive, immature, and mean-spirited piles of poo poo I've seen in a long time. Pure hatewatch material if anyone is into that. It's gross.

Good films that haven't been mentioned yet: Bringing Up Baby, Benny and Joon, and Saving Face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jenner posted:

Because that insight on You've Got Mail is very sad and totally ruins it for me. Gosh! (No sarcasm, thanks for the insight. gently caress that movie forever.)

Bwahahahah! But seriously, that paper was one of those ridiculous things you write for school sometimes. Without seeing it again, I'm hesitant to say You've Got Mail has worse gender politics than the genre, influenced as it is by a patriarchal culture, does in general. The filmmakers definitely employed a little male/female symbolism to add to the dichotomy of the characters, like the tall skyscraper for Fox? books vs. the dim shop that you had to step down into for Ryan's store.

They also did something neat with the ending. Traditionally rom-coms end in sex, usually implied, but there's always a big kiss, or a wedding, or riding off into the sunset while sucking face. There's also hitting the fast forward button and showing a pregnancy/new baby months later. You've Got Mail needed to skip ahead to show what Ryan was up to now that her shop had closed, and they had her engaging in an act of creation by writing a book.

As for non-traditional rom coms, I'd actually like to recommend and inde film called Timer that's up on Netflix. In the near future you can get a timer implanted that will tell you the exact moment you meet your soulmate, and the story follows a woman who's timer is blank. It's not perfect, but I liked that it was striving for some deeper questions about love and the value we put on relationships which you don't often get in something that isn't lifetime sappy or some kind of tragedy.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else not like Stardust ? The way they handled whatshisname's first love interest just soured me on the whole thing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I'm sure there are people who don't like it, as it "only" has a 77% on RT.

I do not want to be friends with any of those people though. :colbert:

Maybe expand on what you mean though? His "first love interest" is a girl he's clearly not really in love with at all (and vice versa) and his journey of discovering that (as well as how to fight like a crossdressing pirate) is like, the whole point of the story.

I've never heard anyone complain about the ending being so completely "happily literally forever after" though, which is something I expected, especially since the book doesn't end the same way at all.

The film makes Victoria more shallow. In the book she agrees to Tristan's quest to get him to leave her alone, but when he comes back with the Star she wants him to let her out of her promise because she genuinely loves the guy she's going to marry. In the film she's suddenly interested in Tristan when she find out he has the star, and is only marrying that other guy for money/status/whatever. And just to rub in how lovely a marriage that is, the dude is probably gay because he's flirting with Shakespeare at the end.

So in a story about a man going on a journey to acquire an object only to discover that that object is actually a person and he will only get her when he accepts that and treats her like one, instead of seeing that as a parallel for how he treated Victoria, throwing his feelings at her and extorting her hand in marriage via bullshit she never cared about, he's just too good for her because she didn't love him back before he had anything.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

xeria posted:

I can't believe I forgot about But I'm a Cheerleader. LGBT movie history is clearly so terrible that it's polluted my brain and made it hard to remember the few gems.

It doesn't help that a lot of queer films, especially the ones with money behind them, are dramas and art house dramas at that. I wouldn't say My Own Private Idaho is a bad film, but it's not something you throw on for a fun movie night.

And it's not a rom com, but anyone looking for a fun LGBT film should try and find a copy of Killer Condom.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Shirec posted:

If anyone else has any great LGBT romances with happy endings (I'd love romcoms but I know those are almost entirely hetero) I'd love to hear them! One of my fave LGBT movies is Weekend and it's sad and lovely.

So! Has anyone else here seen My Best Friend's Wedding? I dislike this movie pretty intensely. I know that it ends up actually recognizing that the main character is acting terribly but it feels like a wet fart. It has a lot of the worst cliches that feel very anti-feminist to me. Having to get married by a certain time, women being crazy and illogical, that romances/people are to be 'won', and that's just off the top of my head.
Does anyone like this film? Am I wrong?

The other day I was thinking of some movie and thought "at least Best Friend's Wedding made her apologize and be sorry for what she did" and now I'm really annoyed that I can't remember what it was that BFW was marginally better than. Yeah, that one is a real stinker, and one of a couple of Julia Roberts films where her character should be the villain, but because it's Julia Roberts you get this incredibly sympathetic framing that makes you wonder what kind of drugs the filmmakers were on.

Runaway Bride is another one, and probably even worse because it's a genuinely awful heroine backed by a whole community of toxic busybodies who we're all just supposed to love because they're all just such quirky characters!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Shirec posted:

If you ever want to vomit with anger, watch Babycakes (1989) in that vein. It might make a good romcom hate watch. It's a TV movie starring Ricki Lake, and she is a fat girl and thus deserves to be ridiculed and the idea she could ever attract a man is hilarious!!!!! :xd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FIlx4lHxsA

Clip of some highlights, it's very easy to find the full movie. It's got it all, hateful families, dubious consent, women scheming against women, lovely best friends, women shaming, and amazing late 80s clothes/hair

I think the We Hate Movies podcast did Babycakes and that was enough. I like hatewatches but that seems like it'd just be enraging.

Rewatched Saving Face tonight and it's still great so I reiterate my recommendation. I know a lot of queer people have a problem with how being in the closet dominates a lot of gay romance films with a character being unwilling to tell friends and family making up the major conflict. This movie helped me realize why that setup works in some films and why it doesn't in others. When being in the closet is used as an excuse to avoid commitment, with the conflict being between the lovers who are fighting over what their relationship is, it's fine. But all to often it's used to frame the story around the relationship between the queer person and their friends/family instead (see Jenny's Wedding for an example.)

Coming out and dealing with the expectations of your family/community are a big part of Saving Face but it's not at the expense of the romantic relationship.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It was apparently one of those scripts that was in development hell for a while, and what was conceived as a thriller and then softened considerably.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Does Fast Times at Ridgemont High count? It's pro in the sense that girl isn't shamed or punished for having one, even if it's set into a kind of conservative "don't be a slut" narrative.

Also that movie kind of reminds me of a Catherine Zeta Jones one where she catches her husband cheating, moves to the city with her kids after the divorce, and end up dating their 20-something nanny. The guy is a little to perfect and pitiable in some ways, but the actor had good chemistry with Jones that made up for the week characterization. I thought they did a good job of showing realistic obstacles for a relationship with a big age gap between and older woman and younger man. Big plot point spoiler. They end up breaking up over a pregnancy scare. He's a little panicked but quickly switches to being excited by the idea of being a dad because he always wanted kids. But she already has two children and is not interested in having any more so late in life. It makes them realize that they're just at different points in their lives and the relationship doesn't have anywhere to go that doesn't mean a big sacrifice for one or the other.

But despite all that, the film has one serious flaw. I guess it was too short, because they added in like 10 minutes of nature stock footage towards to end for the flimsiest of reasons. It's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

A recent article on Birth.Death.Movies went into this, but there's some fantastic A/B analysis to be made in the attitudes re sex between Fast Times and Clueless, especially since they were made by the same director ten years apart.

Women have more agency in Clueless, but there's way more of a hangup regarding sexuality. It's kinda shocking to look at 80s/70s movies and how much it revolved around girls needing to fend off guys just trying to LOSE IT.

That latter thing kinda died off in the 90s. Teenage sex romps got hella more juvenile tho (American Pie et al) but at least they didnt have a requisite scene of a women being trapped in a car and having to physically defend her virtue.

I'd love a link to that if you have it handy.

American Pie only comes off more juvenile in comparison to the more conservative film period that proceeded it. It's pretty much on par with stuff like Hamburger the Movie or Porkey's which came out only a year before Fast Times.

• Locked thread