Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Jenner posted:

In another thread, where I waged a brief war over a general misunderstanding/misconception of consent and sexual assault that just seems ripe throughout our country, I had the realization that a lot of this is because of the conflicting messages society sends via media. (Primary culprits: Action movies and romantic comedies.)

(rest of words excised due to length!)

I think what the Cracked article is probably perspective moreso from the 'action movies' end of the spectrum than actual 'romantic comedies', with the former coming from a (predominantly) male perspective and the latter from a female one. Rom-coms (or the worst of their ilk, anyway) tends to be less so focused on 'just ignore consent, guys! it's sexier that way!" and more on telling women "just change everything you are to get the (secret) man you want, which is almost never the man you THINK you want! it's that easy!" Example that immediately sprung to mind -- 27 Dresses, where Katherine Heigl gets James Marsden after she "uncork[s] her feelings" and stops pining over Ed Burns. It's kind of the other side of the coin to "just force yourself on a woman til she loves you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

socketwrencher posted:

I remember liking Imagine Me & You and Saving Face.

Those are probably the best two of the bunch, at least the lady variety. There's also DEBS, but you need a real high tolerance for goofy camp to like it, probably. Also maybe I Can't Think Straight.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I can't believe I forgot about But I'm a Cheerleader. LGBT movie history is clearly so terrible that it's polluted my brain and made it hard to remember the few gems.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

there wolf posted:

It doesn't help that a lot of queer films, especially the ones with money behind them, are dramas and art house dramas at that. I wouldn't say My Own Private Idaho is a bad film, but it's not something you throw on for a fun movie night.

And it's not a rom com, but anyone looking for a fun LGBT film should try and find a copy of Killer Condom.

Yeah, dramas and tragedies definitely have a large share of the queer film spectrum, and they're almost always also the same movies the general viewing audience are aware of (in large part because, like you said, that's where the money goes).

Television's made pretty big strides in queer characters and storylines over the past several years (the whole Bury Your Gays thing aside) that I hope some of that really starts to make its way into film. There are certainly more stories to tell about the LGBTQ experience(s) than just (sad) coming out stories, anyway.

(Side note, an LGBTQ movie thread could be a pretty fun/interesting deep dive. Or maybe I just would feel better knowing that someone else out there got forced to watch Claire of the Moon.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

there wolf posted:

I think the We Hate Movies podcast did Babycakes and that was enough. I like hatewatches but that seems like it'd just be enraging.

Rewatched Saving Face tonight and it's still great so I reiterate my recommendation. I know a lot of queer people have a problem with how being in the closet dominates a lot of gay romance films with a character being unwilling to tell friends and family making up the major conflict. This movie helped me realize why that setup works in some films and why it doesn't in others. When being in the closet is used as an excuse to avoid commitment, with the conflict being between the lovers who are fighting over what their relationship is, it's fine. But all to often it's used to frame the story around the relationship between the queer person and their friends/family instead (see Jenny's Wedding for an example.)

Coming out and dealing with the expectations of your family/community are a big part of Saving Face but it's not at the expense of the romantic relationship.

I appreciated that the struggle to come out was also a part of a greater "dealing with your parents/family/community and their expectations of you". Wil being out to her mom, Vivian struggling with her dad's expectations of her as a dancer, Wil's mom getting shunned by the entire community, etc. There's a lot more to Saving Face than I'd come to expect out of LGBT films to date, and it's all mostly handled well.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Jenner posted:

They talk about all the hosed up poo poo in romcoms and how creepy they are. They completely point out how seriously not okay Love Actually was and my gosh how did I miss it? Now I feel bad for liking it so much!

Love Actually pretty much lives off its cast of mostly charming Brits, unlike Valentine's Day or New Year's Eve that try to do the same thing conceptually but fall apart from the word go (because Ashton Kutcher loving or hating a holiday can't carry a movie).

Another movie that tries to do the "many intertwined vignettes of falling into or out of love": He's Just Not That Into You

Edit: It's been a while since I've seen it but I feel the need, after listening to some of that podcast episode, to go to the bat for (500) Days of Summer as less a pure rom-com and more a(n at least) partial deconstruction of one. Yeah, it's dumb that Joseph Gordon-Levitt falls in immediate love/lust with Zooey Deschanel because she likes the Smiths, but the movie also goes out of its way to actually say that that's a dumb reason to think some girl is The One. It's not even indirect about it; I'm pretty sure JGL's sister at one point says something like, "Just because she likes the same weird poo poo as you doesn't mean you're in love." The ending might erase all the progress he could have made by going for the cutesy, "Ah ha! HER name is Autumn! Day 1 of Autumn!" but up to that point I think it does a decent job of showing the breakdown of a relationship that could have stemmed from any number of traditional rom-com setups.

xeria fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 14, 2017

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I kind of draw a distinction, I guess, between the (500)s and Annie Halls of the world and, say, The Ugly Truth as the former seems actually trying to tell a fully realized story that happens to include love/romance/comedy/whatever and the latter being the movie equivalent of https://www.theyfightcrime.org/ only with "They fight crime!" replaced with "Eventually they gently caress".

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

K. Waste posted:

Well, yeah, but it's important to not get hung up on reactionary pleasure/displeasure. We're talking genre, so it's incredibly weird to see folks claim that a comic film about a character swept up in romantic memories of his old flame isn't a romantic-comedy. Eternal Sunshine isn't going to get cooties from touching 50 First Dates - calling the films romantic-comedies is an accurate appraisal of the cultural and rhetorical concepts in which they're dealing.

My point bringing up (500) was more within the context of the podcast Jenner linked bashing it for "This guy decides he's in love with this girl because she listens to the Smiths! That's so dumb!" when yes, that's what the movie itself is trying to say. It's less about 'cooties' and more that all "rom-coms" aren't created equal and they aren't all inherently creepy messes just by virtue of being tagged "rom-com".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Shageletic posted:

Nice. Romantic comedies that depict different cultures is the tops.

I would suggest Slumdog Millionaire for a follow-up (the regular ol' heterosexual pairing it is).

A podcast on this kind of stuff is a good idea, wonder if anyone has done it before. Don't think so.

There's been at least one podcast centered specifically around rom-coms, though I don't think it's still running and I've listened to a few episodes and they weren't really that great to begin with.

Re: Bend it like Beckham, I vaguely recall that the movie WAS supposed to have a gay romantic sub-plot between Jess and Jules originally, but something something nixed that in favor of having the romantic sub-plot be between Jess and Joe the coach instead.

• Locked thread