Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sean10mm posted:

I really hate the poo poo out of Hitch for reasons that are hard to articulate. It's mostly a by the numbers "Cool dude and lady too cool for his being cool have a wacky misunderstanding and then hook up at the end" thing.

The problem is that the protagonist is portrayed as a really nice person who is maybe 1% too smug for how cool, successful, and kind to others he is all movie. And his love interest is a total psychopath who destroys his life over a really dumb misunderstanding because she's an aggressively evil idiot. Yet he's the one who has to run and grovel to her at the end and I'm vomiting up my appendix again.

It's like a white writer imagining the coolest Cool Black Guy they can, only to conclude that it must be destroyed with nuclear weapons.

It's less about tearing down the cool black guy than it is that the standard method of conflict in RomComs is the unreasonable actions of one or both of the halves of the focus couple. It's hard to write a funny script about two crazy kids falling in love without one or both of them being psychopaths apparently. This is also why so often the significant other of one or both parties in the love equation is either also totally irredeemable or is a saint who is broken up with for flabbergastingly stupid reasons.

If the core conflict of the story isn't revolving around the wacky antics of these two people drawn together by cupid arrow, you've got to spend time and energy coming up with an actual conflict that brings them together. Most often a half assed conflict is devised to place the two characters on the board so they can duke it out battle chess style and at the end when they finally "really" get together we can just pretend it was a funny story about love.

I haven't watched and remembered enough of the genre to be certain, by my feeling is that the woman in most of these movies is usually the, or at least the more, insane psychopath. Simply because if they cast a pretty enough lady in the part the audience is most likely to forgive a whole lot before they start wondering why the guy keeps chasing after her. In the case of Hitch, Eva Mendes is very pretty so the expectation is that we'll forgive a whole lot of her actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread