Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I haven't heard a lot of good things about Crazy, Stupid Love, but hearing that Gosling essentially plays a PuA artist def raises an eyebrow.

He does, at first--but the movie exposes how horrible it is

It's a good movie that I saw on a lark and had completely garbage-tier expectations for, and I ended up liking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Drifter posted:

It felt like the satire was a bit too much "haha hey, remember this?", and "what about this? Remember this from other movies?" Like it was just bad parody. I was kinda expecting Marlon Wayans to pop out at some point.

Down with Love was just great, I loved its aesthetic and all the characters. I haven't seen it yet, but my dad's favorite romcom is About Time. The trailer looks really nice.

I had forgotten about 'About Time' since in my mind I guess I don't classify it as a romantic comedy per se (although I guess it is). I see it almost as a sort of millennial 'fathers and sons' flick.

'About Time' really had a powerful impact on me. It's an incredibly sweet, gentle movie that has so much heart but also really delivers genuine emotion and real moments. It's a 10/10 film imo

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

American Pie is really interesting to me because I think there's a case to be made that it was a really really really proto 'Apatow-Era' romantic-comedy in that these young men are "allowed" to be emotional and learn lessons

It's probably the first mainstream "male" teenage rom-com (putting asside High Fidelity and About A Boy because I think those are adult male rom-coms)

Also 500 Days of Summer is absolutely a rom-com. If it's not, then When Harry Met Sally and Annie Hall aren't, which would be absurd. Commentary on and the taking down of dating-life bullshit and presumptions about the opposite gender don't mean it's not a rom-com IMO

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 16, 2017

• Locked thread