Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

blue squares posted:

Can someone recommend to me some great romantic comedies from pre-1980? Preferably ones that also are great films (direction, editing, etc), but really just wonderful love stories make me happy. I plan to watch Harold and Maude, and I've seen Annie Hall, but I want to know more. I've seen all of the essential rom coms of the 80s and onward (because it is secretly my favorite genre), but not many of the ones earlier.

Do people think Some Like it Hot counts? Maybe its the anti romantic comedy.
Some Like It Hot certainly counts, but be sure to check out other Billy Wilder like Sabrina, The Seven Year Itch, and the masterpiece The Apartment.

Other essential classics are Trouble in Paradise and Ninotchka by Ernst Lubitsch, Sylvia Scarlett and The Philadelphia Story by George Cukor, The Lady Eve by Preston Sturges, It Happened One Night by Frank Capra, His Girl Friday by Howard Hawks, and the list goes on and on.

Two of my favorite 70's romcoms are What's Up Doc? and The Heartbreak Kid.

The best post-1990 romcom is Trust by Hal Hartley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread