Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I am pretty sure that at heart these films are Rom Coms even if they might not appear so at first glance. The first 2 straddle the border with the Fantasy Genre, while the second two are just outstanding examples with a twist which shakes up the formula. The fifth is something a bit more serious and deep which dips into light scifi territory at times. So without further adieu, OP you should definitely find time to watch the following:

Stardust
Okay, so this might not seem like the most obvious thing to call a Rom Com but it definitely hits all the right marks. Its about a guy who is in love with a girl and after seeing a meteorite hit the ground, he promises her that he will find the remains to prove his love or something along those lines. In persuit, he crosses over into a parallel world called Stormhold which is a generic fantasy kingdom and finds the remains of a star. The remains of the star can be used to grant eternal life if used properly and thus he is pursued by some evil witches while trying to get back home to prove his love. That may have sounded more like a Fantasy adventure than a romcom, which is fair enough because it absolutely is a fantasy adventure at the same time. Give it a chance and I am pretty sure you will not regret it!

Enchanted
Similar to the last film, this is another fantasy based film, but it is a family comedy made by Disney which is a suprisingly self aware parody of its own princess films. It is about Giselle, a stereotypical Disney princess who somehow manages to find herself in the middle of New York instead of in a generic fantasy kingdom. Cue all your standard princess bullshit aside from its taking place in the daily life of Robert, a divorce lawyer who found her on the streets and helps her before she gets herself killed or something. A ridiculous film, but it just works in every way.

I Love You Man
This is basically a straight played Paul Rudd rom com aside from the fact that its is in reality a film about 2 straight guys in a platonic bromance. A Brom-Com if you will. Peter has just proposed to his long time girlfriend who has happily accepted. While she is celebrating with her friends, he overhears them all talking about how he seemingly has no friends at all and honestly, they find it creepy as all hell. In his own words "I've gotta get some loving friends". I dont want to say more than that, but this film really just has everything. Regularly quoted 7 years later in my friends group, I dont know a single person who watched this and didnt sing its praises after. I think if you really dislike this film, you are dead inside.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Jason Segal is a TV music composer who is dating the star of the show he works on, the titular Sarah Marshall. Long into their relationship, he has been in his comfort zone for waaaay too long and SM ends up breaking up with him abruptly. Bad end, game over. After being a pathetic sack of poo poo for a few weeks, He decides to take a vacation to Hawaii to get his mind off things. The only problem with that, is that unknowingly, he went on holiday to the same place as his ex and her new boyfriend, cue the most awkward holiday in the world. While this film is definitely a RomCom, it is very much a film about being dumped by someone and picking yourself back up again. Another great comedy film that is universally liked by everyone I know who has seen it. I love it for so so many reasons but I think one of my favourite things is the brilliant Paul Rudd cameo.

Her
Okay, this might be contraversial. This is in many ways a funny, romantic film. It is also a beautiful existential drama film that will make you question what it means to be in a relationship with someone in the first place. It is about Theodore Twombly, who after being seperated with his wife for a year meets someone on his computer who he finds himself falling in love with. As their relationship progresses, he finds that the wounds from his previous relationship start to heal and he takes a chance in a relationship which pushes bounderies he didnt even know existed. It is a really achingly beautiful film and I honestly believe that everyone should find time and watch it even if it isnt a traditional RomCom.

So yeah, 5 films which in my opinion fall under the Rom Com umbrella while not featuring half the stupid poo poo that makes normal lots of normal Rom Coms trashy. There are many more that I consider watchable but I feel that these 5 do a lot to be different from the rest.

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread