Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Bustycops posted:

man, why can't it ever be bad pizza places like dominos that get accused of sex having with children.

Frankly, what they already do is worse than international child sex-slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Two toppings medium for five dollars!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

being that disconnected from reality must be nice

there has to be some level of freedom to it, right? Like I can't imagine a guy who makes a big thing about how the illuminati are making secret pedo monuments to just kinda generally brag about the fact that they're loving kids has to worry too much about stuff like their bills and house repairs and poo poo.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the guy who "investigated" the restaurant with a gun is facing federal charge of "interstate transportation of a firearm with intent to commit an offense or with knowledge or reasonable cause to believe that an offense would be committed". The maximum sentence for that is ten years in prison but no way a jury will convict

He was facing local charges of assault with a dangerous weapon, unlawful discharge of a firearm, carrying a rifle in public, and carrying a pistol in public without a license, but the prosecutor dropped all the local charges when federal charges were filed

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

he will get off completely free because firing a gun on someone else's property is federally protected free speech now

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

That one juror from the Bundy hick case will magically turn up on this one too

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Lord of Pie posted:

That one juror from the Bundy hick case will magically turn up on this one too

crisis acting is a small word, after all

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

here's the criminal complaint against that dude

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3237677/Welch-Edgar-Federal-Complaint-Dec-2016.pdf

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

the guy who "investigated" the restaurant with a gun is facing federal charge of "interstate transportation of a firearm with intent to commit an offense or with knowledge or reasonable cause to believe that an offense would be committed". The maximum sentence for that is ten years in prison but no way a jury will convict

He was facing local charges of assault with a dangerous weapon, unlawful discharge of a firearm, carrying a rifle in public, and carrying a pistol in public without a license, but the prosecutor dropped all the local charges when federal charges were filed

Why don't you think a jury will convict in the federal charge?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Malheur

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I though being caught with an unregistered firearm in DC meant automatic transport to Guantanamo Bay. Why would the city give up a slam dunk case?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I thought about that for a sec, but then again it's a federal case with DC residents as jurors

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

theflyingexecutive posted:

I thought about that for a sec, but then again it's a federal case with DC residents as jurors

point is that if they couldn't get a conviction for all that Y'all Qaeda poo poo they won't be able to convict this rear end in a top hat either

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

point is that if they couldn't get a conviction for all that Y'all Qaeda poo poo they won't be able to convict this rear end in a top hat either
theyre lokking for ft sumter again, and god help us all when they get it

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

How likely do people think we are to see a buddy cop comedy starring the pizza place lunatic and the rhodesian black church shooter before 2020?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

"intent to commit an offense" isn't really supposed to be used as a standalone charge. it's the kind of thing a prosecutor is supposed to use when they're already pretty drat sure their target is going to prison but want to add a few extra years to the sentence - it's hard for a jury to rationalize convicting on other charges and acquitting on the "intent" charge, and it's an incredibly broad charge that can be applied to a wide variety of situations, so it's essentially a freebie.

But those attributes can backfire. Since they're not charging him with actually committing any crimes, it's easier to convince the jury to acquit on the "intent to commit a crime". And although the "reasonable knowledge" bit usually covers that angle, that's still up to the jury's interpretation of the accused's intentions and state of mind some time before the crime was actually committed - and as the Malheur case demonstrated, juries are willing to cut defendants a lot of slack on that judgement if they have light skin, tell a heroic story filled with only good intentions, and insist they never meant any harm.

I think that on the local charges, a jury probably would have convicted. Even if they're sympathetic to his story and don't believe he meant any harm, "gun without a permit" and "unlawful discharge" are nice binary bright-line charges that apply regardless of intent. On the other hand, the federal charges are going to get Malheured to hell - they'll listen to his sob story about just wanting to save the children and ask the judge if he can end the trial right there so they can hurry up and acquit on the "intent to commit a crime" charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

"intent to commit an offense" isn't really supposed to be used as a standalone charge. it's the kind of thing a prosecutor is supposed to use when they're already pretty drat sure their target is going to prison but want to add a few extra years to the sentence - it's hard for a jury to rationalize convicting on other charges and acquitting on the "intent" charge, and it's an incredibly broad charge that can be applied to a wide variety of situations, so it's essentially a freebie.

But those attributes can backfire. Since they're not charging him with actually committing any crimes, it's easier to convince the jury to acquit on the "intent to commit a crime". And although the "reasonable knowledge" bit usually covers that angle, that's still up to the jury's interpretation of the accused's intentions and state of mind some time before the crime was actually committed - and as the Malheur case demonstrated, juries are willing to cut defendants a lot of slack on that judgement if they have light skin, tell a heroic story filled with only good intentions, and insist they never meant any harm.

I think that on the local charges, a jury probably would have convicted. Even if they're sympathetic to his story and don't believe he meant any harm, "gun without a permit" and "unlawful discharge" are nice binary bright-line charges that apply regardless of intent. On the other hand, the federal charges are going to get Malheured to hell - they'll listen to his sob story about just wanting to save the children and ask the judge if he can end the trial right there so they can hurry up and acquit on the "intent to commit a crime" charge.
:911:
freedom fries isnt free

• Locked thread