Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Genderfluent posted:

In Indiana Mustangs might be the most common winter car
I drove an old mustang as a winter car for years. Its hte only time you don't get pulled over for going sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

myDad posted:

I drive an FJ Cruiser can I post here? :shrug:

Let's see some pics, mang. I want that 2012 red/black one.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Wikkheiser posted:

trigger warning

You shut your whore mouth

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

There are a few hybrid trucks and SUVs, and they all suck balls.

If the only thing you can afford is a v-6 mustang, then you hosed up somewhere

It's BMW and Mercedes here, which is probably just as bad, except that some of them come in AWD

i can get you one off of craigslist right now for $750, wheres the poverty line now bitch? take that to the trailer park and smoke it

also x-drive bimmers arent real bimmers

just like fwd trucks arent trucks

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Oh dude.

Hilux. Hybrid. Like the Toyota AWD-I with the engine and MG in the front and another MG on the rear axle. Or maybe just RWD?

RWD is a real bitch for stability in ice and snow though, right?

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

nissan d21 hardbody because i have a hard body
my tiny truck showcases my huge dick and hard body

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I just want a ford ranchero.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

HATECUBE posted:

i can get you one off of craigslist right now for $750, wheres the poverty line now bitch? take that to the trailer park and smoke it

also x-drive bimmers arent real bimmers

just like fwd trucks arent trucks

I mean, I guess $750 is something, but you could probably get something more reliable or practical for the same amount.

I stand by my "If the only thing you can afford is a v-6 mustang, then you hosed up somewhere," because there is always something else out there.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Three-Phase posted:

Oh dude.

Hilux. Hybrid. Like the Toyota AWD-I with the engine and MG in the front and another MG on the rear axle. Or maybe just RWD?

RWD is a real bitch for stability in ice and snow though, right?

what you lose in stability you gain in throttle control

but, like, you need to know what you're doing

RWD is probably the best for hooning in snow but it's also the most likely way to crash if you're an idiot

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

RWD is probably the best for hooning in snow but it's also the most likely way to crash if you're an idiot

You get more control if you can keep a handle on the throttle, or less control if you're an idiot

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

yea back to sperging out over manual and some kind of homoerotic "connection with the vehicle and momentum" but i digress

BLARGHLE posted:

you hosed up somewhere

i said this was SE michigan

it could be worse, you could demand i find you the biggest van ever and shoot down everything else until you end up with an express3500 that track racers wouldnt drive in the snow. thats how hard i will CL for you and your 25K/year income. metro-detroit lookin rear end

HATECUBE fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 5, 2016

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

HATECUBE posted:

yea back to sperging out over manual and some kind of homoerotic "connection with the vehicle and momentum" but i digress

i said this was SE michigan

it could be worse, you could demand i find you the biggest van ever and shoot down everything else until you end up with an express3500 that track racers wouldnt drive in the snow but thats how i hard i will CL for you and your 25K/year income. metro-detroit lookin rear end

I don't know about sperging out on manual and some kind of homoerotic "connection with the vehicle and momentum" but....no, I definitely do, because I find speed to be incredibly.................................................erotic

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
just lol if you don't get an erection by sitting in the driveway fake shifting gears and making engine noises with your mouth

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

just lol if you don't get an erection by sitting in the driveway fake shifting gears and making engine noises with your mouth

I'm doing it right now!

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 5, 2016

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

manual is so better

last week i saw a grand cherokee drive in the center lane to avoid a patch of lovely road so i OPEN PALM SLAMMED THE STICK INTO THIRD. ITS BOOST AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STARTED TO OVERTAKE RIGHT ALONG THE MAIN CHARACTER, MY TURBO. I TAKE EVERY POTHOLE AND I TAKE EVERY POTHOLE HARD. MAKING WOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I TAKE DOWN SOME BALDING TRAIL RATED SUBURBANITE BASTARD OR EVEN WHEN I GRIND GEARS.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Three-Phase posted:

Seriously a 1MPG difference? Geez and I though going from 26 to 34 wasn't that great.

Yeah, I believe it's to fill the state loophole that says 'X number of new fleet vehicles need to be electric/hybrid/alt fuel'. Nobody in their right mind would buy it otherwise.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, I believe it's to fill the state loophole that says 'X number of new fleet vehicles need to be electric/hybrid/alt fuel'. Nobody in their right mind would buy it otherwise.

I guess the joke's on them, because GM made a shitload of flex fuel vehicles before that was actually a selling point in an effort to skirt EPA regulations, so they could have just bought a bunch of random mid-90's v8s and hoped for the best.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

the PT cruiser was an emissions cheat because it was technically a "light truck" and the HHR was the same loving thing.

i hope you like turbos on small engines because the grimdark future is all about that poo poo and 7+liter engines with cylinder deactivation and 15-speed ZF transmissions that never stop shifting. CVTs will be come the sporty, responsive choice for enthusiasts

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

BLARGHLE posted:

I guess the joke's on them, because GM made a shitload of flex fuel vehicles before that was actually a selling point in an effort to skirt EPA regulations, so they could have just bought a bunch of random mid-90's v8s and hoped for the best.

Oh, they did that for awhile, but they buy new trucks every year and I think the new regs specify a certain % be electric or hybrid - we ended up with a couple of Fusion hybrids and a C-Max to meet the requirement for our passenger fleet.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

HATECUBE posted:

the PT cruiser was an emissions cheat because it was technically a "light truck" and the HHR was the same loving thing.

i hope you like turbos on small engines because the grimdark future is all about that poo poo and 7+liter engines with cylinder deactivation and 15-speed ZF transmissions that never stop shifting. CVTs will be come the sporty, responsive choice for enthusiasts

I bought my wife a 2014 Cruze deep into the 2015 model year(that's the way to buy new cars, by the way), and it is all of those things and more. Tiny turbo-charged engine, six speed automatic, non-stop shifting, absolutely no low end power

It gets good gas mileage, though, and is comfortable. Oh, and bluetooth. Compare that to my 10 year old truck with a 6.0. It has like 2.5x the horsepower, but also weighs almost twice as much, and gets half the gas mileage if I'm lucky. Also, no bluetooth for the radio, which sucks.

My truck will do a better 0-60, but only by like a second.

And it would only be a few hundred bucks to get the heads ported and slap a new cam in there..........................................................................

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 5, 2016

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

I bought my wife a 2014 Cruze deep into the 2015 model year(that's the way to buy new cars, by the way), and it is all of those things and more. Tiny turbo-charged engine, six speed automatic, non-stop shifting, absolutely no low end power

It gets good gas mileage, though, and is comfortable. Oh, and bluetooth. Compare that to my 10 year old truck with a 6.0. It has like 2.5x the horsepower, but also weighs almost twice as much, and gets half the gas mileage if I'm lucky. Also, no bluetooth for the radio, which sucks.

My truck will do a better 0-60, but only by like a second.

And it would only be a few hundred bucks to get the heads ported and slap a new cam in there..........................................................................

im sorry that you hate your wife, here is a swapped 94 civic for inexplicable sale that has more self respect then a cruze https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5861397650.html

but this is the truck thread so heres a truck that fucks https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5880820574.html lol its even got realtree flormats and a plastic skull next to the radio

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

HATECUBE posted:

im sorry that you hate your wife, here is a swapped 94 civic for inexplicable sale that has more respect then a cruze https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5861397650.html

but this is the truck thread so heres a truck that fucks https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5880820574.html lol its even got realtree flormats and a plastic skull next to the radio

I rrreeeeeeeaaaaaaallllllllyyy wanted the SS, but she wanted the Cruze, and the $15k vehicle was probably a smarter buy than the $55k vehicle.

Also, as nice as the SS was, it was amazing that they had somehow made the gas mileage worse than my old caprice, which got almost twice the highway mileage with .3 fewer liters, 100 fewer horsepower, and 2 fewer gears

It would confidently do 140, though, which was just great. God, I loved that car....still do, even though it sits in my parents' back yard with a broken windshield and rotted tires...

I lost my virginity in the back seat, and...I'm not totally sure, but I might have had sex with around a dozen women in that old car. Also, one of my dogs shat all over the back seat as a puppy, which was less enjoyable, but still a very vivid memory. I drove that bastard to hell and back again, and it never let me down, until I parked it and let it down...and then a tree limb fell on it

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 5, 2016

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the toyota tacoma is a quality vehicle

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

my aunt worked for toyota material testing and had 4 test vehicles over 6-7 years with different underbodies and subframes. study revealed that salt returns all vehicles to the earth like a cruel, vengeful bitch. but the tiny unlovable engines never failed

I give the 5-speed 4x4 tacoma 4 out of 5 truck nuts

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

but what is the truckest truck?

thunder cracks like a whip as the sky turns black. the truck god opened his terrible mouth and spoke one word that shook the earth before sinking back into the abyss,

"hilux"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HATECUBE posted:

wanna drive around in that listening to metallica

on casette

Blue Raider posted:

third world battle wagon of choice next to a hilux

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
When they stopped making the xj cherokee they sold all the tooling to china so there's still new 4.0 cherokees being made in 2016

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
As a guy who couldn't give less of a poo poo about toyota- aren't the tacoma and hilux basically the same thing?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
The best trucks are piece-of-poo poo brown Datsun pickups. They always have either 3,000lbs of concrete bags in the bed or just one 2x12x18 hanging way out the rear end screwing up everyone's day.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

As a guy who couldn't give less of a poo poo about toyota- aren't the tacoma and hilux basically the same thing?

tacoma was a variation of hilux, markets outside of the US got more of them. they got rebranded and sold in different lines that reflected what toyota thought america wanted out of trucks, but not the rugged god-machines that earned the name credit abroad. we would eventually see the 4runner as a variant, but not the unkillable tyrant that lived on other continents

http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Toyota_Hilux for nerds

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_War for blood

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
This is what happens when you make a common newb mistake and use a nissan for your technical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6t0PzMmNyI

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

you want a truck, brother

LOOK AT THIS loving TRUCK, BROTHER
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5869805138.html

UUUGH

FFFFFFFFF

BOIEEEEEE

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Land cruisers with locking differential 4wd are fun to drive.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i might get a ford ranger when they bring em back in 2019

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
You fuckin' know when they bring the Ranger back it won't be the same. There won't be a standard cab poverty spec model with just a stick shift and AM/FM radio, that won't sell. I guarantee it'll be full to the brim with fancy looking buttons and dials and electronics and screens with a loving extended cab and 4ft box so that budget conscious fat suburban dads can get a truck to haul their kids around and also carry a single batt of pink insulation when they redo the basement one tiny corner at a time

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Breakfast Feud posted:

You fuckin' know when they bring the Ranger back it won't be the same. There won't be a standard cab poverty spec model with just a stick shift and AM/FM radio, that won't sell. I guarantee it'll be full to the brim with fancy looking buttons and dials and electronics and screens with a loving extended cab and 4ft box so that budget conscious fat suburban dads can get a truck to haul their kids around and also carry a single batt of pink insulation when they redo the basement one tiny corner at a time

:nods in sadness, then a single tear rolls down cheek:

It'll be the same size as the new Taco and Colorado, too, which is to say only a little smaller than full size trucks.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
what is the best small truck sold today in the US that has 4wd and manual transmission. does such a truck even exist

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

HATECUBE posted:

thunder cracks like a whip as the sky turns black. the truck god opened his terrible mouth and spoke one word that shook the earth before sinking back into the abyss,

"hilux"

I see your Hilux and I counter with "Power Wagon"

naem
May 29, 2011

HATECUBE posted:

"hilux"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

thathonkey posted:

what is the best small truck sold today in the US that has 4wd and manual transmission. does such a truck even exist

prolly the Colorado even the Toyotas got gently caress off huge

• Locked thread