Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I feel like any Spider-Man MP could follow the Ghost of Tsushima Legends model and still be really engaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hiddenriverninja posted:

I feel like any Spider-Man MP could follow the Ghost of Tsushima Legends model and still be really engaging

Not just in terms of overall design, but how the characters are split. Legends basically split Jin up into 4 aspects of combat, which could be a cool thing to do with Spider-Man. One person heavy on webs, another on gadgets, one who's stronger/more brutal, etc.

Edit: what am I saying, that pretty much already exists if they do actual characters and not just palette swaps. Silk, Gwen, Miles, Peter (the Insomniac version), and Venom would have different playstyles and advantages I imagine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wish, bro.

I wish.

(In some past games you could get these as costumes but you weren't really playing like them in any meaningful way)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Who are they?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That exact image I believe is the Slingers, a group of heroes loosely off-shot (does off-shoot have a past tense version?) from Spider-Man. But originally, Spider-Man went into hiding and sometimes undercover so he adopted four different identities with the help of the OG Prowler.

Prodigy was the gold guy who Peter used to pretend to be a super corny goody two-shoes type hero focused on his super strength. Ricochet was the vest one, who focused on speed and agility and bouncing off walls. Dusk was a costume he picked up from another dimension and works like a true shadow to be stealthy, it's not just black. And Hornet was an Iron Man-lite kind of persona, obviously more tech-based.

Eventually the personas all became undone in one way or another (only one I can recall is Hornet, because the Vulture just could tell it was Spider-Man who could not resist engaging in his usual banter).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They're 4 alter egos of Spider-man when he was deeply unpopular after being accused of murder. He got Mary Jane and some of his superhero friends to design 4 different suits that he'd use and he kinda used a subset of his powers in each one as well with gadgets contributing. I think the golden one was a more classic style superhero with just super strength and "able to jump tall buildings in a single bound" for example and he acted more like Superman or Captain America in it, J Jonah Jameson liked that one to Peters annoyance. The others were all similar takes on other types of superheroes, one could fly and used gadgets, one was your classic dark broody spooky hero, etc.

I think since that original storyline other characters have used the names/facsimiles of the costumes he used as well, other heroes and villains.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh, Death of Superman

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, they were 4 identities Peter adopted (With the help of some gadgets and inexplicably a magic shadow suit) where he basically only used some of this powers so he could keep superheroing without people going "Heyyyy, that's Spider-Man."

Which is one of those things that emphasizes how loving insane Spider-Man's powerset is that any one of his given power is enough to be an effective as hell hero.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, Death of Superman

I mean, yeah, except Doomsday is small potatoes compared to the likes of Paste Pot Pete.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, they were 4 identities Peter adopted (With the help of some gadgets and inexplicably a magic shadow suit)

It was very explicable! He got it from the Negative Zone by helping save their people. It was the only one of the personas he basically had lying around and didn't have to create from scratch for the event.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

I mean, yeah, except Doomsday is small potatoes compared to the likes of Paste Pot Pete.

It was very explicable! He got it from the Negative Zone by helping save their people. It was the only one of the personas he basically had lying around and didn't have to create from scratch for the event.

I meant more "Peter Parker happened to have a magic extradimensional shadow suit (NO NOT THAT ONE, VENOM HAS THAT ONE) lying around" which is very ??? if you aren't aware of the comic plot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In an ideal world i could see myself playing like eight to ten hours of a multiplayer co-op Spider-man 2 thing. The combat's good enough for me to waste some time on it between big releases.

In a real world it'd be at least 50 dollars to buy and then the 60 a year to pay rent on the console so they let you play online. And with constant updates it'd eat up the dev cycle of two real games while the numbers keep going down, as these live service games do.

So, I'm glad it's canned and they didn't do any work on it (trailer looks fun but it's all precanned stuff and jpgs)

That Spider-Gwen design is baller AF tho

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Word from the hack is that a bunch of the concepts of that is going to be the 3rd DLC.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For anyone who hasn't played it yet Midnight Suns is on PS Plus Extra (Sony's Game Pass knock off) this month.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It appears that Suicide Squad has killed WB console games.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/warner-bros-discusses-volatile-aaa-console-games-will-lean-into-free-to-play-and-mobile/1100-6521597/

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Article posted:

[J.B. Perrette] said, "We're doubling down on games as an area where we think there is a lot more growth opportunity that we can tap into with the IP that we have and some of the capabilities we have on the studio where we're uniquely positioned as both a publisher and a developer of games."

[Perrette] pointed out that one of WBD's latest big games, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League, was a disappointment for the company.
[...]
So the plan going forward, he said, is to help reduce volatility by focusing on core franchises and bringing at least some of them to the mobile and free-to-play space, as well as continuing to invest in live-service games that people play--and spend money on--over a long period of time.
[...]
"Rather than just launching a one-and-done console game, how do we develop a game [...] that is a live-service where people can live and work and build and play in that world in an ongoing basis?" he said.

This dude definitely doesn't understand why Suicide Squad failed, :lmao:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Free to play/mobile service games are cheaper to make than a big console game is their takeaway

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Not having your game in development hell for a decade would help cut costs too

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Wonder if Ed Boon is getting ready to make another new studio, like WB Games announces a closure and somehow 5 minutes later he gets Lethal Vattles Studios going

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mortal Kombat sells too well for WB to cut them off

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

True but expect more cash shop poo poo in the titles, no more krypt.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wonder if we'll get an Injustice 3.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Free to play/mobile service games are cheaper to make than a big console game is their takeaway

Well they're not wrong, it's just a bad idea and I hate it...

I sure do love when executives learn the wrong lessons from a failure :shepface:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 17, 2024

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

Wonder if Ed Boon is getting ready to make another new studio, like WB Games announces a closure and somehow 5 minutes later he gets Lethal Vattles Studios going

He's going to go back to his roots and make a Mortal Kombat pinball machine with OG Shao Khan, Steve Ritchie

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

King of Solomon posted:

This dude definitely doesn't understand why Suicide Squad failed, :lmao:

Ok, so you know Meta? Well, Zuckerberg couldn't make it work because there was never any interesting setting. We will make our version successful by having users live and work and create in Gotham City. When users conduct a virtual business meeting, death will loom over each of their avatars from the dozens of fan-favourite homicidal maniacs loose in the city.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1769765069645078851

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
good game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Love this game. The scenery of the final encounter is still my desktop background.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb2wwEx6DVw

Trailer for the Captain America/Black Panther WWII game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hits some good notes but cap sounds and kinda looks like an rear end in a top hat and well, you can't base any interest off a trailer that has no gameplay

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Agreed. It feels very Walker/Us Agent more than regular Cap. Also, do we know who the regular soldier on Cap's left is? Because I don't feel like a Bugler was a common thing in occupied France during WW2.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Agreed. It feels very Walker/Us Agent more than regular Cap. Also, do we know who the regular soldier on Cap's left is? Because I don't feel like a Bugler was a common thing in occupied France during WW2.

It's one of the Howling Commandos, blanking on the name.

Edit: Gabriel Jones apparently, he's playable according to some stuff as well as is the other lady presumably so two duos. Wonder if it'll be scripted swapping at points or you get to choose.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 20, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Always appreciate a good Khary Payton though

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I am unreasonably upset at that title. You play as Captain America and Black panther loving put them in the title so people know that!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

hits some good notes but cap sounds and kinda looks like an rear end in a top hat and well, you can't base any interest off a trailer that has no gameplay

We need basically him as Cap from Midnight Suns who is also Cap from the cartoon Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't wait to play as Private Trumpet

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

I mean, he has a mission to do and this other dude shows up doing his own thing and making things difficult for him? I can get being a little irritated.

I kinda get The Saboteur vibes from the trailer. I'll obviously need to see gameplay but story-wise I'm intrigued.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I seriously can't comprehend how the Cap sidekick isn't loving Bucky. Marvel superheroes have way fewer sidekicks than DC ones and this is one of the few that people might actually know the name of.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You can't see how it makes sense for there to be a Black Gi interacting with the Wakandans and how that could be more interesting narratively?

And I say this as someone whose favourite Marvel character might actually be the Winter Soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Bucky is a child soldier.