Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Who are the writers? Does it share any with Borderlands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Who are the writers? Does it share any with Borderlands?

Quick google-fu says one? Zack Keller?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The fact that it shares any bodes well. I'll wait until episode 2 to see. Ever since Borderlands, I've wanted Telltale to do comedy more since I think they're really good at it and it's a shame they've only really done one since switching to their modern model.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sam and Max was wonderfully quirky and funny, especially the later seasons. I miss those games.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SBCG4AP is legit one of the funniest games ever made.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pre QTE Telltale strikes me as an entirely different company than the one that exists now. They had a very good sense of puzzle design and comedy. They seem really intent on going whole hog with this new choice simulator approach, whether it fits the tone of the license or not *coughJurassicParkcough*.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Pre QTE Telltale strikes me as an entirely different company than the one that exists now. They had a very good sense of puzzle design and comedy. They seem really intent on going whole hog with this new choice simulator approach, whether it fits the tone of the license or not *coughJurassicParkcough*.

It's a choice between continuing to make games in a niche dying genre or making games in the exact style that made them incredibly successful. It's not really a choice unfortunately.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Point and click adventure games can't be a dying genre, they died and came back already.

It's unfortunate that whatever they were planning to do with Army of Darkness' license seems to be dead in the water nowadays. It's probably for the best since Ash isn't a great fit for a QTE choice game and would've been much more at home in something like a Sam and Max season, but still.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Clearly you never played Poker Night 2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yes, I did, but his inclusion in that was very obviously meant to be a tease for an actual full game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, I did, but his inclusion in that was very obviously meant to be a tease for an actual full game.

Not necessarily? Unless they also wanted to do a Portal and a Venture Brothers game too?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I know I'm super late, but I have a computer capable of playing Arkham Knight now. I gotta say, I feel like it's just not as good as City. Most of my complaints are the ones that people have heard a lot, like the Batmobile not being that fun for the amount of time you have to use it, and things like that. I know that City's story gets flak around here but I thought it was fine, but Knight's story is... not great? They should have just got Paul Dini back. It's not all bad, but there's definitely enough dumb stuff to hurt it. The entire Oracle thing was dumb, I wasn't sure if she was actually dead or not, but I basically immediately went from that plot point to doing the Ra's al Ghul mission. I understand that Batman thinks using the Lazarus formula is wrong, but you'd think that this one time in this one situation he might change his mind. And then they reveal it was a Scarecrow hallucination? You'd think that Batman would have considered that possibility at some point. And I was loving pissed that Deathstroke had a Batmobile based stealth boss fight? What the gently caress, especially after the fun and cool Arkham Origins fight. And to get the full ending you have to do all the side quests, including the Riddler one, the only one I hadn't done because gently caress, I did his mission in Asylum and City. I've got 200 left to do.

I know it's not a comic (well, Moonstone puts some out on occasion but...), but the one license I would love to see Telltale tackle is Kolchak The Night Stalker, but I also haven't played much of their games so I'm not over their style either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What makes it even more frustrating is that one of the best fights in the series is locked behind all the Riddler stuff.

catlord posted:

The entire Oracle thing was dumb, I wasn't sure if she was actually dead or not, but I basically immediately went from that plot point to doing the Ra's al Ghul mission. I understand that Batman thinks using the Lazarus formula is wrong, but you'd think that this one time in this one situation he might change his mind. And then they reveal it was a Scarecrow hallucination? You'd think that Batman would have considered that possibility at some point.
The Ra's al Ghul stuff was all DLC so it's somewhat forgivable that it doesn't gel with the main plot at that particular point.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Knight is definitely not as good as City. The Batmobile weighs it down from a gameplay perspective and Jason weighs it down from a narrative perspective.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The stealth's also way weaker.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Ra's al Ghul stuff was all DLC so it's somewhat forgivable that it doesn't gel with the main plot at that particular point.

True, but the Mr Freeze DLC had some minor changes, voice over ones admittedly, depending on where you were at in the story. I have to say, gameplay-wise the Freeze one had problems, but I really liked the story for it. Very nice and bittersweet.

SonicRulez posted:

Knight is definitely not as good as City. The Batmobile weighs it down from a gameplay perspective and Jason weighs it down from a narrative perspective.

Even if I hadn't been spoiled on Jason, the Arkham Knight was just so whiny and unthreatening. I thought the bit immediately after you beat was decent though. Also, did they give out a story pack that took place after the game as a preorder bonus? That's pretty ballsy.

Lurdiak posted:

I've only done like, one, maybe two inverted takedowns, and that's bullshit.

Also, on the PC the controls don't feel quite as good as City, something just feels a little off, you can tell the PC port had to be massively improved, and who the gently caress would assign a combat takedown move you're supposed to do quickly to Alt-1? Thank God for key rebinding. I've also found things like environmental takedowns to be super finicky.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't feel like Jason was a spoiler, because it was the most predictable thing in the world.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, undeniably. The abundance of outside environments seriously hurt my enjoyment of the predator stuff. It's a bit difficult to get into vantage positions or honestly to even care to bother when I can just leap off the side of the building and climb up the other side. It's way easier. Which is the problem. They want to do stuff like 15 guys in Predator, but that's not as fun as it sounds. And as cool as the slow motion super takedown is at first, it ends up taking away what I felt was the original point of Predator. You have combat to be Super Batman and punch 30 guys into the group and then you have predator to be Guns Still Kill You Batman where you have to be smart to win. Not just persistent.

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't feel like Jason was a spoiler, because it was the most predictable thing in the world.

I think I may forever resent Rocksteady just a little bit for genuinely trying to sell to us that the Arkham Knight was not Jason Todd.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

They tried at least. Remember when they declared that he was a new character created by Geoff Johns? Of course, once you know it's the most obvious thing.

The bigger thing that got spoiled for me (and then turned out to be mostly pointless) was the Joker people. Yeah, Batman's bit was important but all the others? I did love Johnny Charisma's bit though, even if the stealth bit as Robin was not great. I was highly amused by getting the key code from the mirror though, you don't see mirrors often enough in games these days.

catlord fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 22, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It didn't help that Arkham Knight was the first time Jason Todd had been mentioned in the series (beyond an Easter Egg in a challenge map or something).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I was more upset at Tim x Barbara. Dicky G is right there!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Oh, undeniably. The abundance of outside environments seriously hurt my enjoyment of the predator stuff. It's a bit difficult to get into vantage positions or honestly to even care to bother when I can just leap off the side of the building and climb up the other side. It's way easier. Which is the problem. They want to do stuff like 15 guys in Predator, but that's not as fun as it sounds. And as cool as the slow motion super takedown is at first, it ends up taking away what I felt was the original point of Predator. You have combat to be Super Batman and punch 30 guys into the group and then you have predator to be Guns Still Kill You Batman where you have to be smart to win. Not just persistent.

There also wasn't a single stealth section that used those beeping collars that alert surrounding goons when you take one down, and I'm pretty sure the ability to make the last few goons completely go insane with fear by doing perfect stealth is gone as well, in a game about fear.

Also, who loves floor grates? Gotham City's architects, apparently.

redbackground posted:

As long as it's not Bruce x Barbara I'll let it slide.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It didn't help that Arkham Knight was the first time Jason Todd had been mentioned in the series (beyond an Easter Egg in a challenge map or something).

Yeah, the fact that Arkham Asylum clearly didn't intend on sequels in continuity really screwed things up for them. From the timeline we're given, Tim has been Robin for like 5 minutes. No wonder he's hardly a presence in either game. If they could have at least brought him up a bit in City, they could've better hid the Arkham Knight "twist" even though we all knew from the jump.

redbackground posted:

She's wearing a Dick Grayson pendant through the whole game. It makes no sense to me. Like when Black Widow wore an arrow through all of Winter Soldier and then suddenly Hawkeye has a wife and kids in Ultron.

Lurdiak posted:

There also wasn't a single stealth section that used those beeping collars that alert surrounding goons when you take one down, and I'm pretty sure the ability to make the last few goons completely go insane with fear by doing perfect stealth is gone as well, in a game about fear.

Watching the last guy go completely insane and torturing him with intentionally missed batarangs is one of my favorite things :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Watching the last guy go completely insane and torturing him with intentionally missed batarangs is one of my favorite things :(

The best was dropping directly in front of the last guy and have him straight up drop his gun or put his hands up in terror.

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah, the fact that Arkham Asylum clearly didn't intend on sequels in continuity really screwed things up for them.

Nah, what really messed things up is that Asylum clearly takes place in an "established" universe, specifically one that was heavily based on BTAS but incorporated some comic book stuff as well, because they correctly identified that that's much more fun and conducive to a game about the inmates running the asylum than giving a bunch of villains' origins, but then City and obviously Origins decided they wanted some of that sweet sweet "first appearance of" cheddar and completely hosed things up.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 22, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The best was dropping directly in front of the last guy and have him straight up drop his gun or put his hands up in terror.

Disable their gun and then drop behind and wait for them to turn around, panic, try to shoot you, and panic more when they can't.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

To be fair Jurassic Park was their very first try at a game like that, and it was functionally a prototype for Walking Dead season 1. They had no idea how it would turn out.

Jurassic Park was definitely garbage, but it also had some interesting ideas, like how there are a couple of conversations where it gives you control over every character's dialogue, not just the perspective one, so you're effectively having a debate with yourself. I would have liked to see more of that and less of the terrible, no good, very bad QTEs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're not the first adventure game dev to do that, though. Dreamfall did the same thing at a couple of points when the different protagonists cross paths and you play both parts of the dialogue.

And one thing I'm not sure I highlighted about GotG, but it's nice that movie-Starlord has a defined enough personality that you don't get tripped up by the brief snippits in the dialogue tree. Telling Rocket "Need a hand, buddy?" isn't misleading, because you know Peter's going to be a smug dick about it.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 22, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, what really messed things up is that Asylum clearly takes place in an "established" universe, specifically one that was heavily based on BTAS but incorporated some comic book stuff as well, because they correctly identified that that's much more fun and conducive to a game about the inmates running the asylum than giving a bunch of villains' origins, but then City and obviously Origins decided they wanted some of that sweet sweet "first appearance of" cheddar and completely hosed things up.

Origins should have been set further in the past, because ol' Bruce goes through three Robins and a Batgirl in the course of 10 years and that's not a good look.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Waffleman_ posted:

Origins should have been set further in the past, because ol' Bruce goes through three Robins and a Batgirl in the course of 10 years and that's not a good look.

That's essentially what they did with New 52 Batman in the comics, except it's 4 Robins and a Batgirl in half the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but that's all Dr. Manhattan's fault.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tune in to the CW for the new sitcom Three Robins and a Batgirl, Tuesdays at 8.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Tune in to the CW for the new sitcom Three Robins and a Batgirl, Tuesdays at 8.

It wasn't the same after they moved on from the pizza place.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

It wasn't the same after they moved on from the pizza place.

You're right, it was better :colbert:

That show didn't get good until Fillion joined the cast.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

That's essentially what they did with New 52 Batman in the comics, except it's 4 Robins and a Batgirl in half the time.
And two of the Batgirls who were there before the last Robin were removed and only added in later with new backstories.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but that's all Dr. Manhattan's fault.
Nope, this is on Barry and all he represents, I don't give a poo poo what Geoff Johns says. :colbert:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Waffleman_ posted:

I wish Origins had taken place the next year with Robin. I've had a full fill of Year One.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yvonmukluk posted:

And two of the Batgirls who were there before the last Robin were removed and only added in later with new backstories.

That's a whole other thing, I'm complaining about how at the start of New 52 it's established that Batman has been Batmaning for 5 years and he's had 4 Robins, one of which died and was brought back to life and now shoots people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Origins shouldn't have been made at all because the entire premise is whacked. Bruce just happens to meet like 3/4 of his rogue's gallery for the first time in one night, and all those encounters are totally underwhelming and stupid, whereas Asylum and to a lesser extent City at least mostly relied on the idea that Bruce has met most of these guys before and had altercations with them that didn't get resolved in 20 minutes.

Also ~Enigma~

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 22, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Played A Matter of Family last night, and I can't help but feel that they should have had Jason instead of Tim as Robin in it. It would have given him a bit more to his character. Also it makes me realise that the movement abilities in Knight are pretty good, to the point where I can't think of a time when I needed the Line Launcher, so I'm always thrown when there's a puzzle I need it for because I just completely forget about it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Also ~Enigma~
Speaking of, when I the player agrees with what the bad guy is doing, you hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

catlord posted:

Played A Matter of Family last night, and I can't help but feel that they should have had Jason instead of Tim as Robin in it. It would have given him a bit more to his character. Also it makes me realise that the movement abilities in Knight are pretty good, to the point where I can't think of a time when I needed the Line Launcher, so I'm always thrown when there's a puzzle I need it for because I just completely forget about it.

I agree. After building up a relationship between the two in a few audio tapes, I think that would've made more sense. The timeline is so messed up.