Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brutes are pretty trivialized by Perfect Dodge. That should be a priority if you don't have it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The biggest problem I have with the system is that honestly there isn't a lot of focus. They give you a lot of insanely powerful tools and unlike Arkham I'm never really like "I should be using (x) here." A lot of the gadgets feel kind of feel like interchangeable instant kill/instant stun attacks, the super moves are either borderline useless (Spider-Man Noir's ability where) or incredibly overpowered so it's never really fun to mix and match. Some of the moves are incredible and others feel like utterly meaningless. (The ability to remove enemy weapons would be nicer if at any point devoting that much attention to a gun guy wouldn't just leave them defeated anyway, even ignoring the instant-kill perfect dodge move.)

It's still a lot of fun to play but has a lot of stuff where I'm like "why did you bother with this?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure the Coppiest superhero is The Punisher.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMVJmK57Wds

I really like the stealth challenges honestly. When you do them right they flow together super naturally and you just feel like how spider-man actually would work in stealth, a bouncing ball of doom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I really like the... I don't know, the Spider-man-ness of the game; not the combat or web swinging, which, don't get me wrong, are awesome, but the homeless shelter and the rent problems and the pulling people out of car accidents. The problem with the Arkham Batman games after Asylum were that you didn't feel like a superhero, you felt like an assassin with a robot tank.

Yeah, I really appreciate the game spends a lot of time on focusing on the non-punching things Peter does to help people. It really really helps emphasize that he wants to help people, not beat people up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

On Norman, you can find some of his trademark bombs in the secret room. I wanna say there's tech blueprints for a glider too, but I may have made that part up.

There is, it's a military project.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... Who the gently caress looked at Guardians of the Galaxy and thought 'darkness, violence and sadness' was the defining characteristic? It's a goddamn film franchise where the main character finds out his father murdered his mother and his response is to turn into goddamn Pac-Man during the epic fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

What does games as a service mean?

It depends, it can be used in a few different ways, but it means they intend it to be an ongoing thing rather than a one-in-done sort of thing. It means it will probably have some sort of pay element, either ongoing DLC or some sort of microtransaction stuff combined with occasional content/story updates.

It doesn't necessarily have to be bad but it's understandable that it would be a warning sign for people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ninja Gaiden Z was primarily Spark Unlimited and Comcept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It’s also not fun to play.

A major factor in that is that they were specifically hamstrung and given specific instructions, up to and including not being allowed to use any control scheme but the NES-style controls. While their 3D action games haven't been perfect Other M is by far the standout in its flaws and most of them can be pointed to specific instructions given to them by the higher ups.

Based off most of their games (they've done at on Dynasty Warriors stuff too) you can expect a competent button-mashy beat 'em up with a lot of flash which... sounds about right for MAU?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean their advertising priorities are not hard to see.

"Everyone who has a popular movie + arguably the three most popular X-Men"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There's no way Nintendo would be able to figure out repeat buyable DLC.

They literally have Warframe and Fortnite on their system and a successful lootbox mobile game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheNamedSavior posted:

Square's Avengers game looks not very promising to me. Insomniac's Spider-Man gave us an interpretation of the character that was trying to stand out from the other Spider-Men, something original. Square's Avengers looks like soulless MCU cash in. Plus Deus Ex was left on a cliffhanger just to make it. gently caress that.

So what I'm getting from this is "I am angry about Deus Ex and I am going to be negative about this game no matter what" because... there's literally nothing about the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You literally shifted from "It sucks because it's a cheap MCU cash-in" to "It sucks because they haven't told us anything about it" :psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's an insult to Orcs. :orks:

Nah.

This is an accurate depiction of many game studios:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

I was playing Ultimate Alliance 1 and there's a side quest where you have to choose between two hackers, one of which is named CB Cebulski and is the correct option because he's totally trustworthy and would never sell out his friends

:v:

Is the other named Akira Yoshida?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheNamedSavior posted:

Game clearly ends on a cliffhanger and is ENTIRELY trying to set up a big dumb plot twist about how Adam (Spoilers for both Deus Ex and Metal Gear) IS ACTUALLY A CLONE OMFG THAT TOTALLY ISN'T RIPPING OFF MGSV AT ALL.

But instead, the game was weirdly spammed with lovely DLC, a lovely story that requires you to read the tie in books to even understand what's going on, and just around the same time, Hitman was doing a weird multi-episode model at the same time.

Coincidence? I think not.

Why would that be ripping off MGSV and not... you know, the entire rest of the Deus Ex series where your protagonists have literally always been clones and also the central premise is Every Conspiracy Theory Is Real.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

Want jenson implied to be a clone in the emails you find in the latter parts of his first game

No, just genetically modified in the womb which is why he can be Special Aug'd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the character from Invisible War was the one who was directly supposed to be a clone of JC.

JC and Alex Denton are both clones of Paul.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

It's been a while since I played Human Revolution or Mankind Divided but I don't remember anything about Adam being someone's clone.

I remember he was gene engineered to be able to accept all the augmentation and that the Illuminati wanted to make the first Deus Ex game happen but little else of crucial importance.

Apart from how difficult it was to get the achievements for no killing enemies, stealth running the game AND saving both sets of hostages in the last level.

The Adam you play as in MD is strongly implied to be a clone of Adam. Different augs, fuzzy memory, and you can find a body in a container that uses Adam's model in versalife. They also do a lot of "a man resembling Adam" stuff in text

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

I figure we will have to pay for things like alternate costumes so they can say poo poo like “nothing in the game is pay to win, it’s all cosmetic!” and blah blah blah.

That “it’s all cosmetic” poo poo always bums me out because people these days treat it like a bonus but I feel like they’re just charging us for poo poo we use to get with the base game.

The thing is that it's not quite so simple. Games have not increased their price in 12 years while the complexity and development time for everything has increased. Making a new costume now is a significantly greater investment of time. A lot of this stuff just straight-up would not exist without paid DLC .When you talk about how we 'used to get with the base game' you're talking about games that had fewer polygons total than Spider-Man's asscrack has these days.

That doesn't mean it can't be predatory or scammy but it isn't a case of "it would be free if not for that." It's far more likely a lot of it straight-up wouldn't exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

the mcu version of cap had a better costume than that

The Avengers disagrees.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I get that it's more complicated now, but Spider-Man PS4 has a bazillion and 2 costumes in the base game.

That is because it was a selling point for the game to have a billion costumes. I'm not saying it isn't awesome just that they made it a central part of the mechanics and budgeted accordingly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Avengers looks dull as dirt, but Ultimate Alliance 3 has Nextwave characters in it so there will be at least one good Marvel game this holiday.

UA3 comes out next month.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ahahaha that's amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

So I've been replaying PS4 Spidey and I just snapped Avengers Tower, and Peter mentions that the Avengers are on the west coast at the moment, which tracks with them being in San Francisco in the game.

But then how can Taskmaster be on both coasts? Hmmm...

Both of those are just a joke about the West Coast Avengers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah the characters not levelling is really weird, it'd be fine if they'd be like, a level behind because that's easily remedied but Wasp just joined me and she was level 17 which implies the area I'm in would be around there, nearly everyone on my team is about 10/11 because I've just been switching as I feel like it and now I'm at a boss which feels like a hard brick wall.

It's one of those really baffling design decisions because like, did they think people would just pick a team of 4 who were available at the start and play through the whole game with them only adding new people when they joined?

They expect people to redo previous stages with friends if they want to try different characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Batmobile was amazing because they actually admitted prior to Arkham Knight they couldn't think of a way to make the Batmobile fun but it was the #1 most requested thing and whoops, turns out that it isn't actually that fun to Batmobile.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think the problem with driving in open world games is that it's very, very easy to get off course, at which point you either trigger a fail state (not fun) or realize that you have all the time in the world to get where you're going (relatively fun, but undercuts the hell out of any stakes or tension).

I kind of wonder why there's no open world games where, instead of a bunch of super authored checkpoints and mission objectives, you have really vague objectives which you are free to pursue in any number of crazy ways. Sort of like the Hitman formula, but writ large(er)

(Probably because the amount of budget necessary to create a decent open world is directly at odds with the kind of experimental "Let's see if it works!" kind of systemic game design that could result in such a thing)

There are games like that but they run into the same kind of problem Hitman does but on a larger scale: A significant portion of the playerbase will zoom right for the easiest solution regardless of how fun it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

I still cannot believe that after Origins Deathstroke fight, that your rematch in Knight is a stealth tank mission.

That was easily the biggest disappointment of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

The only good thing about the Batmobile in Knight was the ridiculous justification they gave for why hitting people with it doesn't kill them.

Because being hit by a jet-powered car going 150 MPH will be completely safe if it electrocutes you first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if anyone who knows anything about Batman didn't figure it out the second Arkham Knight showed up and said "I know all your moves and you're going down, OLD MAN".

Literally everyone knew. The only reason there was an iota of doubt was because they straight-up lied and said it wasn't him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Wasn't there a leak, too? Not that their ham handed storytelling needed it to collapse.

Yeah, at bare minimum Gamestop leaked a "Red Hood" statue or something for the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I can see:

1) It's before Knight, possibly even before Asylum even. Here's Joker!
2) Reboot! Batman The Court of Owls
3) We follow Dick as Batman
4) It opens by undoing the end of Knight somehow and Batman's still well and alive.

I mean the 100% ending of Arkham Knight made it pretty clear someone was still out there being Batman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am totally down with Ms. Marvel being the new Peter Parker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

yes if theres one thing gta and its clones are known for its not being buggy or having easily abused targeting and explosion systems

i guess you could try building a city entirely devoid of any cops or civvies, but the feels like it would be fairly empty and boring

I mean... or civilians just don't take damage? Unless you're arguing "but Disney wouldn't let the bad guys hurt people either!!" which is easily disproven by the vast number of Disney games which say the opposite.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

i dont know where you conjured the second part from, but for the first i cant imagine any gta clone where you are gunning down bad guys and shooting grenades down the block wouldnt look stupid as hell and pretty jarring if civilians just run into gunfire and are entirely unphased

like, people thought the batmobile running people over and not killing them was ludicrous enough, its gonna take a lot of suspending disbelief to have those sort of mechanics in a murder sim

I mean that is literally a common thing in video games, where they disable your gun when pointing at an NPC you're not allowed to hit and said NPC's response to explosions/etc is to flinch/cower/run instead of dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean to be fair the Batman games have torture elements. Remember crushing the guy under the Batmobile wheel?