Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There's no way that was Mark Hamill. Also yeah, Joker in Telltale Batman was pointless, mystifying, and garbage. A lot of the rest of the game was pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like the story really poo poo the bed about halfway through and never really recovered.

Also it's loving weird that you can prevent Harvey from becoming Two-Face buy he still becomes pretty much just as crazy and dangerous. I mean yeah, that's probably what would happen but it's really off.

I actually liked this, I thought it was a cool way to show that Harvey's problems are internal and that even if Batman had saved him from the scarring, something was bound to snap sooner or later.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Well, practically speaking, it's because they can't budget for enough content to actually fork the narrative and have Harvey be the player's ally in one decision path and their enemy in the other. Or, at least, they did not design the story such that they could do this. Your choice does matter in that if you don't save Harvey from getting scarred, you get to see him break down in traditional Two Face style, whereas if you do, you get to see him become a paranoid wreck whose scars are mostly mental.

Also, there are a lot of other choices around Harvey that actually do branch more significantly. If you're consistently kind and understanding with him, and go to Wayne Tech instead of Wayne Manor at the end of episode 4, he tries to kill himself in the confrontation at the start of Episode 5 (and you can let him do it). If you're hostile and don't support him throughout the game, the Two Face personality is more dominant, and he tries to kill Bruce instead and has to be apprehended violently. Whether or not he's scarred actually ends up mattering less than how much you encourage him to rise above his illness.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That said, a lot of the rest of the stuff in that game is weak, chiefly the main antagonist and the Joker, whose appearance is just pure sequel bait (and also, why does no-one comment on his outlandish physical features given he's just supposed to be a normal inmate at Arkham?).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's pretty fun. I enjoyed it. It's probably strongest in the middle, and the end tapers off a bit, but it's never really awful. If you liked Game of Thrones you'll probably enjoy this.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I was super nice to him and he still tried to kill my butler. :mad:

Yeah, the bummer of this is that if you go and deal with Harvey first, fewer of your choices around him matter and the scene you get is more straightforward. Which makes no sense because someone who cared about Harvey more than the Penguin would obviously choose to go after Harvey first, but for some reason most of the stuff you do surrounding him only pays off if you save him for later. Poor scripting I think, even though it's impressive that they branched to the degree of having completely different scenes for if you tackle Penguin/Two Face first or second.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I didn't get why they chose to switch that up. Like, both Arkham and the presumed Wayne Memorial Hospital (just rename it!) are sullied by the legacy of the Waynes, so why not build a new one instead of keeping the weird, clearly hugely dysfunctional place and spending more cash on it?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also it's super weird that Bruce is treated as legitimately insane despite the fact that the entire city saw the Children of Arkham, who specifically hate Bruce Wayne, inject the mayoral candidates with crazy drugs last week.

Incidentally that episode is the best one. The scene where Mayor Hill is ranting about incinerating the poor while Harvey desperately struggles to keep his composure is fantastic.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, also we never find out why the Joker is in there or what he did but when you mention him to the cops Gordon is like "that guy? Oh no!", which implies he did something awful enough that a high ranking cop would remember this specific weirdo. Yet the Arkham staff seem to treat him like a model patient. Also, they seem totally cool with just calling him John Doe all the time. Who is this man from nowhere? Why is he so implausible?

In the same vein, it feels cheap that the Joker just knows everything, like he's aware of the leader of the Children of Arkham's identity and motivations (plausible) and also Batman's identity (less plausible because, honestly, how?). There's so little explanation of how a man with bleached skin and green hair is treated as a perfectly normal Arkham patient using an obviously fake name, is feared by the cops, and intuitively knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

As Robin, there are three things I'm all about: straps. Buckles. And a cool exploding samurai sword.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I really don't like the Injustice design for Blue Beetle. He's way too bulky.

He looks like the live action Tick.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ah, four physically identical women in different clothes/bodypaint. Character design at its finest.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Roth posted:

Scarecrow apparently leaked for Injustice 2? Do they have enough Batman characters?

Also Green Lantern and Cyborg, but that's not all that surprising.

Honestly Injustice 1 felt like it wanted to be a Batman fighting game that was grudgingly including all these DC universe characters but muting down their colour palettes and personalities to the grim and gritty Arkham City tone, so more Batman characters makes sense. Like, the designs that felt most at home with the palettes of the stages and the look of the game in general were Joker, Harley, Catwoman and the Batfamily.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Wentworth Miller has ruined Captain Cold for me because no one else will ever be as loving incredible as him in that role in any medium ever again.

True. He's like pure essence of comic book villain in a way most actors uniformly fail to translate to the screen.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sam and Max was wonderfully quirky and funny, especially the later seasons. I miss those games.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Pre QTE Telltale strikes me as an entirely different company than the one that exists now. They had a very good sense of puzzle design and comedy. They seem really intent on going whole hog with this new choice simulator approach, whether it fits the tone of the license or not *coughJurassicParkcough*.

To be fair Jurassic Park was their very first try at a game like that, and it was functionally a prototype for Walking Dead season 1. They had no idea how it would turn out.

Jurassic Park was definitely garbage, but it also had some interesting ideas, like how there are a couple of conversations where it gives you control over every character's dialogue, not just the perspective one, so you're effectively having a debate with yourself. I would have liked to see more of that and less of the terrible, no good, very bad QTEs.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

NRS games are sort of technically competent but I really think they fall short in terms of interesting character designs and translating the characters faithfully. Like, Superman can't fly because the engine can't handle air combos, so you just get Superman/Green Lantern/Wonder Woman crouching and walking forward to dodge a constant stream of perfectly level horizontal projectiles from Deadshot's Superman-killing gun. "Big" characters like Grodd or Bane can duck projectiles just the same as the regular cast despite their models clipping entirely through them.

It feels uninspired. Better FGs like Guilty Gear and Skullgirls vary their character designs way more, so a big character who can't duck projectiles might have armoured approach moves or unblockable knockdowns to get in, or a character with slow movement might have flight. It's a real killer for me that DC has so many flying heroes and they all have to walk everywhere in Injustice. Like, how do you make a fighting game where you can play as Superman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern, and none of them can fly?

Also, Darkseid kneels when he crouches. Hard non-canon.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah mechanically I don't think NRS is particularly accessible. Every character keying off a series of command normals that have to be cancelled into ground bounces and OTGs to combo is actually pretty up there in terms of complexity.

I mean, you can mash it out casually, but you can do that with most fighting games to about the same level of competence.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also MKX had like, command runs and run cancel combos and dashes on every character and that stuff is like King of Fighters grade complicated.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah but those aren't like, the game's actual combos, the actual combo stuff is when you cancel a chain into a special into a ground bounce into another chain or whatever. Most of the chains can't actually successfully be used from neutral, so people trying to use each of them like individual combos will always be like, "what the hell, this move is useless!" because only a handful of chains per character aren't designed to be used exclusively as mid-combo filler. So that's sort of anti-accessibility in my view.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

You can beat the story without doing any of that.

Playing that way will get you 2 or 3 fights into a ladder in other games.

You can definitely mash your way through arcade mode on Normal difficulty in just about every fighter I've ever played. Actually MK9's story mode was way way harder than like SF4, KoF 13, Skullgirls, Guilty Gear Xrd, etc. Some of the 1v2 fights and of course Shao Kahn are super difficult.

I do think the story modes make NRS games approachable though. They're definitely great by the standards of the medium, and if you're looking for a singleplayer fighting game experience that's pretty good I guess.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like most Wonder Woman villains, and arguably even Wonder Woman herself, Cheetah is potentially really cool but rarely gets a consistent enough treatment to shine.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

27 characters, 4 women. Fairly lol.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

MvCI having no assists is bananas. It's like making a Megaman game with no boss powers, or a Castlevania game with no wall turkeys.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SleepCousinDeath posted:

C'mon NetherRealm, just gimme Monarch, Kamandi, Wesley Dodds and a bunch of other random people.

Injustice 2 would be an absolute must buy if you could play as the Monarch, for sure.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Only if his intro dialogue is him asking where the hell Venture is.

His super could be the Death's Head Panoply. It writes itself.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Arkham Superman sounds extremely good if they get it right.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I kind of hate Origins, it's just so dull. Also Batman beating up cops to the point where he breaks into the GCPD precinct to fight them directly seems wildly out of character. Sure, the cops are awful and corrupt, but I still don't see that as something he would do while trying to establish his credentials as a vigilante.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Origins was really dull, so I don't have high hopes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Batman being a giant jerk who starts his career by breaking into GCPD headquarters and beating up the police felt odd. It was definitely less tonally fun than the previous games.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Bitching about a game because it starts with you beating up cops makes me suspicious of you.

I loved the PS4 Spider-Man game, but I wasn't a fan of the side missions that were based around improving the NYPD's surveillance network.

It's more just that it feels out of character for Batman, who is usually characterised as a Cop Fan even when the cops are corrupt. He even loves cops in Origins, from what I recall, but he's like, "sadly I must brutally pummel the good cops to steal files from their computer".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Whenever someone does this to a game, it's so striking. It's just like, the animation-swapped woman always walks like a normal person, while the animation-swapped man walks like a sexual jester trying to convince you to sign a timeshare contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That looks extremely cheesy and extremely fun, potentially. Now let me romance my roommate Wolverine, and I'm 100% on board.