Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Has there been any news lately on the Rocksteady Superman game? I think it was announced officially last year some time and I've not seen hide nor hair of it since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

What does games as a service mean?

Are you familiar with Hitman 2016 (and the new Hitman 2 that just came out?)

Basically the base game is free (was free?) and you get the tutorial and first level included. Then every few weeks a new chapter, with multiple challenge modes is released at $5-$10 a pop. Or you can pre-purchase the whole package for $60 and get all the content as it's released and save a few bucks overall.

The sequel isn't terrible for this because anything you bought from the first game carries over into the sequel with updated graphics, mechanics and the like.

In this example there's no loot boxes, but rather than pre-order exclusives, there are timed exclusive missions. Day after a new level drops, here's a mission that will be run for 72 hours. Buy the level after that? Too bad.

This might be the least offensive way to do "Games as Service". Doesn't mean it won't suck or that it's not a big red flag, but it can be done and not feel like it's 100% taking advantage of you.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

RevKrule posted:

There's already "capture" screens when you die in the game, you can build off that idea.

OK, how about this. If you "die" you are captured by whatever villain's theme area you're hunting through. You get the "game over" screen from the first few games, but instead of killing you, like anyone with common sense would do, they instead have you strapped into a thematic deathtrap that you have to get yourself out of.

Having thematic traps instead of killing Batman directly is a very Batman thing to do. Maybe have traps of increasing difficulty. In one, you're just tied up and being watched by armed guards. In another there's whirling blades and other dangers you have to avoid. If you consistently get captured and escape though, eventually they just get smart and kill you. So maybe a traditional 3 fails and game over.

I'm not sure how you would get it to play short of having little mini games and/or QTE events to get out of it, but that at least feels a little keeping in theme.

I'm thinking kind of like the (Very old) game Nightshade. IIRC, that game starts off with you tied to a chair and a giant boulder is coming to crush you. You can shimmy out of the way and back into a lit candle which will eventually burn through your ropes. As you play the game, if you lose all your hit points, you get kidnapped for interfering. There's a second death trap where you are tied on a conveyor belt heading to some kind of smashing /grinding equipment. All you can do to escape is move your foot, so you have to flick the correct lever to stop the machine. There are probably more traps in that game but I never made it very far.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

2) Her powers look kind of disturbing in a realistic art style

That's a good point. I think even in movies and such when we've seen stretchy powers it's always been kind of slow (never saw Fant4stic) and usually with clothing. But seeing it go quickly is disturbing but in a good way.

I mean if I see someone could stretch their arms out across the room and it's slow and even, it's weird and kind of gross. If someone snaps their arms that same distance and it takes less than a second, that's scary.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

I’m tentative but I definitely need more info. If it’s just cosmetic items or whatever I can live without it, if it’s something that directly affects gameplay yeah gently caress that

You know the answer. It's going to be both. Every character is going to have a base costume and maybe an alternate included. Any good looking costumes are going to be DLC. And there will absolutely be paid add-ons that affect gameplay, but I'm envisioning things like XP boosters and other powerups.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

The last major TMNT focused game was Mutants in Manhattan, aka one of the two bad Platinum games.

Just for point of reference, what is the other bad platinum game?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

You play as Harvey, right?

Harvey Dent: Face Attorney?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

That is something I wonder about. How do you translate the Wii U controls to a ps4? Steam/pc makes sense with a mouse.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

There's been some pretty strong rumours for a while that the first concrete information was coming at FanDome, I'm real curious to see what that game looks like, given that the idea is meant to be a GaaS type deal, where your objectives are to kill Superman, etc.

Seems like it could be either insanely cool, or really terrible.

GaaS? Generally Accepted Auditing Standards? I guess if you're Luthor's accountant killing Superman is probably at the top of the expenses reports.

EDIT: Games as a Service. Right. I keep forgetting that's a "thing"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Multiplayer through the whole game being an option is nice. The fact that it's not mandatory is better. This kind of has a look and feel of the Diablo Marvel game from a few years ago with the Arkham combat mechanics. Seemed like we got to see a super meter on Batgirl, probably leading to a series of power moves. Looks like enemies drop loot, but it appears to be crafting materials from the few shots we saw. Probably get options to craft and improve gear. As long as we get modern MMO bonuses and cosmetic only options, I'm down.

Agreed that some of the costumes look ugly, specifically Robin with a full helmet. It does appear to be post AK Jason, with the scar on his face, but wasn't that a J?

I don't like that it appears more vehicles are present, but maybe if they stick to just bat-cycles and leave out the mobile, it will be OK.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm still floored that they decided their gameplay would show a lazy boss fight against Mr. Freeze, when he was probably the greatest boss fight in all the Arkham games. Not a great way to start off, fellas.

I disagree, I think it's a smart move and I'm glad they did it.
"Hey, were you hoping for a puzzle style takedown boss battle that gets progressively more difficult? Well you won't find that here, look elsewhere."

They just saved you $60 from the sound of it.

I don't disagree with you, I'd rather have an updated version of City and for WB to learn from that and give me more of what was there. But this appears to be a very different game, and I'd rather see that now then after I plunked down money expecting Arkham City 2

It makes sense if there is going to be an always on, opt-in/opt-out multi player component. Two player simultaneous stealth takedown of patrolling guards - Hell yes. Two player beat 'em up brawling through a room full of thugs and goons - absolutely. The Mr Freeze fight from City with more than one person - I'm not sure how that would work mechanically, at least under the "old" system.

Maybe you could have one person act as a distraction somehow and the other person sneaks up and has to pull out a power cable from his backpack or something. Then he dispenses fog behind him so you can't do that, so another approach needs to be taken.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I kinda figure the point of Deadshot is to have the gun guy. If everybody has guns, I feel like his use to the team is in some way diminished.

Everyone on the team can fire guns. Deadshot's gimmick is that he will hit his target.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

site posted:

Honestly that's like the least Land-ish Land art

Who's the pink hair woman

Pink hair is from Fortnite

I hope there are no follow up questions as I have just revealed all my knowledge about fortnite

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Those are all pretty dope, but AoA with Nova and Jane Thor and Guy I Never Remember - Was that part of the Secret Wars event from a few years back?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

That's pretty cool, but it looks weird. It feels like a Roger Rabbit blending of reality and cartoon, but since "reality" is also cartoon it's weird. Like he doesn't belong there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I actually have been planning out a Batman inspired game here and there.

In short, it's kind of a superhero sim game, but most closely resembling the Batman idea (Vigilante crime fighter by night, billionaire playboy by day). A big part of the game would be centered around your reputation; in the eyes of the public, in the eyes of the (honest) police and in the hearts of criminals.

During the night phase, you Batman around town, stopping random crime and maybe getting information from various lowlives and thugs. When you start out you have to beat information out of informants, but as you get more feared (or otherwise persuasive), some people will give it up willingly. This information might help you stop a heist as it's going down, rather than having to respond after the fact. As opposed to modern Arkham games, I don't know that combat would be a real interactive thing. You are a master ninja, your average gangster isn't going to any threat to you in a fist fight. Knives, guns and explosives are a concern, but I think the general idea is you are either winning this fight or retreating. If you win, you maybe walk away with some scrapes and bruises, and respect goes up. If you retreat, injuries are a little more severe and respect goes down.

At the end of the patrol phase, you rest, for some period of time, determined by you. Maybe you know that you are human, and you need a full 8 hours to stay sharp. Maybe sleep is for the week, and a quick disco nap will be just as good. Or maybe you can sleep when you are dead, and you'll just close your eyes as the batmobile auto pilots you home. Or some kick-rear end experimental uppers will zap that sleepiness right out of you. Sleep would restore your stamina, help heal any physical damage, and help set your mind at ease too. If you don't rest, eventually your stamina would fail and you would respond slower, or even start to lose health. Again, you can fix those with pills, but those have consequences as well.

Then there's the day phase, or the management of your megacorp. This is where you keep up appearances and manage your day job. You're the rich playboy, layabout son that no one expects too much out of, but if you want to have a say in how those billions get spent, you'll have to show up every now and again. Go to board meetings and as long as you show up, you help guide where the money goes. Maybe you do what some people say Bruce Wayne should do and you invest heavily in social programs to improve the city from the ground up. That would help, but the board will probably vote you out. Maybe instead, you decide to invest money researching military adjacent hardware. Some of which might be useful for a bat-themed vigilante. But here too there are hurdles. If everyone has access to Batman tech, that makes your enemies more powerful too. If the tech is developed by Wayne tech, never released to the public or military, but Batman has some gear that looks familiar to a few researchers, that might raise their suspicion of you. Also, that's bad for business

Suspicion would also kind of be alongside the reputation meters. If too many people can put together that Bruce Wayne is Batman, that might spell the end - or maybe not. Could Bruce Wayne save Gotham simply by investing smartly and defeating crime before it happens? Maybe. Could the police determine that a vigilante is way too risky of a thing and decide to hunt down and stop the bat? potentially. Could Batman instead use power and influence and turn Gotham into a fascist police state, usurping any traditional law and order? Also possible. Or maybe some night some punk with a gun gets lucky.

And that's kind of the loop. How do you devote your time to saving your city? Do you need the alter ego? Do you give people second chances, or do all criminals deserve only unfailing punishment. Do you operate entirely in shadow, by yourself, or do you allow yourself to be seen as a beacon of hope by the everyday populace?

Batman is the obvious influence, but I'd want to break some rules about Batman to make the game more interesting. Yes, a Batman who kills is trite by now, but it could be done if there are some real consequences. Yeah, criminals might think twice about potentially crossing you, but cops, local government and even the general populace might call for your head as well. And yeah, if you keep pushing past your stamina and health limits, you could get killed in the line of duty. The other reason I don't want to do Batman specifically is because I don't know how to work on supervillains. Yeah, you could have tougher bad guys that do way more damage, or have a bigger sway in reputation when they force a retreat, but without coming up with some kind of find clues, get info, hunt down bad guys detective mode, I don't know how to work them in without them being lame.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Lobok posted:

Far less popular villain, though. One-Face as a name just isn't as exciting.

Reminds me of a MAD magazine I saw when I was younger.

Batman goes to meet Gordon on a rooftop, and Gordon says that there's a new villain, and he's the strangest one yet. Goes by "One-Face".

Batman says "One-Face"? That doesn't sound all that strange.

Gordon says "Well, he's twins"

Cut to a photo of two bodies, with one large, stretched out face shared between the two of them.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Uh-huh. So what's the point of having the Marvel license then?

I get it, if we are talking a license like Star Wars. I don't get to run around with Luke or Obi-Wan or Boba Fett, but I get to pilot a spaceship all over the place and use a blaster or a lightsaber and force powers. But Star Wars is a "place" where stories can and do exist without characters you already know and love. A lot of SW games are already like this

I like Marvel , but without the characters, it's literally (99%) New York City. That was their slogan for a while, Marvel comics takes place in "The world outside your window". And I could get it if you created your squad, member by member, and you had an array of super powers to grant them and you played alongside recognizable characters. That would be OK. And I'd even be kind of cool with "It's the first day of open tryouts for the Avengers, but Uh-oh, all the Avengers had to go to space to deal with a cosmic fart cloud, and now Dr. Doom has put up a magic bubble around New York and declared himself king, and only your rag-tag team of new recruits can stop him". That's something. At least you are going up against known Marvel Villains.

But this article makes it sound like it just takes place in the MU, but anyone interesting is not there. Well, guess what game, I already live there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is the new Aliens game worth the time & money

The one that's basically Left 4 Dead with Aliens? It kind of depends on what your time and money are worth to you.

Do you have two friends that already have it that you can reliably play with? If so, you can probably get a solid weekend out of it.

Otherwise the player base is super small now. You can play with bots and do OK, but you lose out on some of the experience.

It's not a bad game, the look and feel were spot on for me, but I couldn't find a consistent group I meshed with.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So it kind of looks like the Guardians game, but with more "edge"?

And rather than playing as one guy whose thing is "Guns" and giving orders to 4 NPC characters for Melee and AOE, you play as 4 guys, whose thing is "Guns" and "Occasionally Melee/AOE"

Did I miss anything?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

site posted:

if you can't force Jimmy Olsen to marry a gorilla what's even the point

I mean, c'mon. Jimmy never entered into those unions willingly

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Soonmot posted:

what the gently caress is a muso and why do i already hate it?

It's basically a third person, over the shoulder melee hack-n-slash up game with your hero character taking on hundreds of low level enemies at a time. Fight your way from point A to Point B where you need to typically attack or defend some objective, at which point a higher level enemy will show up and you will have to defeat them and scatter their troops. Repeat. There's often time based bonuses for finishing a certain objective quickly or finding a secret path leads you to a different story branch. A lot of it can be BS if you are trying for one specific goal.

Dynasty Warriors is the OG with a cast inspired by The Romance of The Three Kingdoms novels. Hyrule Warriors is probably the biggest new one in a few years, done in Legend Of Zelda style with a pretty deep roster. I think there was a Gundam series in the PS2/PS3 era that played the same way.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I think you could do it with some clever tweaks. Have it play more like a Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, maybe slowed down just slightly. Strange isn't really a 1 v Many fighter, but maybe gameplay closer to Dishonored fits better. Though I like the idea of Control as well, maybe have it take place in the sanctum, and have the environment shift around him, like in control, but more often and more malicious.

Sling ring is a teleport, either short range for combat (Forward/Backwards or to the side as a quick dodge mechanic, maybe slightly souped up into a combat throw to get a little distance) or for area traversal a la Dishonored. The quick version is a single button press + direction and the long range one is aimed to a specific point.

Crimson bands act as a stun move that could hold an enemy in place, stronger version stuns longer

Runes for laying traps and generic orange circles for ranged attacks. Maybe give him the Wand of Watoomb or Staff of Living Tribunal or any of the other mystical artifact weapons he gets access to.

The cloak can provide movement options and possibly a defensive option from back attacks.

OnimaruXLR posted:

My problem with putting Dr. Strange into a game (or someone like Green Lantern for that matter) is that it would almost certainly devolve into being a slightly weird third person shooter instead of being able to give you the full suite of freaky powers and such. Hell, I bet you wouldn't even be able to use sling ring portals properly, considering how few developers have touched that mechanic

You're not wrong, per se, but how would you gamify Dr Strange's powers without having it just be a VR simulation that provides a sandbox where you press these buttons and enter these controls and the world twists and warps around you? That would be cool as hell, but it's not a game. That's an interactive Dr Strange simulator.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll honestly be surprised if Batman isn't a "surprise" unlockable character if you get the good ending or something and a lame "he faked his death!" bullshit conclusion to the main story mode. Knowing how games are going though, they'll just put him inside a loot box and charge $5 per costume.

Pass.

I'd put pretty good odds on The Court of Owls have Batman chained up somewhere, and they are the ones who faked his death. Or, even worse, he's kidnapped and brainwashed into working for the CoO and the last fight is against drugged up Bruce. Or double worse, Batman faked his own death so he could infiltrate TCoO and he's working undercover as their biggest, baddest Talon. So of course, you never really beat him.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

You'd really have to get the balance just right with depicting Daredevil's enhanced senses and blindness vs. annoying the player. Nobody wants to play a game that's constantly red tinged, ask Nintendo about that. Give yourself a cool muted color pattern but don't go monochrome.

Since it would be a 3rd person game you don't need what the player sees to depict what the character sees, but you also don't want to waste the unique presentation a character like Daredevil gives you.

The screen gimmick would work. You could just have all paper, signs, computer screens etc. blank because Daredevil's senses can't read those. This isn't going to bother the player and even saves resources.

You could do fun things with alleys and tight quarters where you can only see so far, and not around corners or behind obstacles. That would intuitively encourage getting height when you're traversing.

What about a kind of hybrid "vision" system. If you are just running around, you get a muted colored, narrow view of the world around you, say 20ft. But if you use your senses that expands the field of view and maybe highlights points of interest in different colors depending on what you are using to track. Irregular heartbeats leave a red trail, running footsteps show up in blue, electric lines (for disabling lights/alarms) show up in yellow.

The advantage of concentrating on things means that you can track movement better, but the downside means that your "vision" is tougher to see the bigger picture. So you can feel someone's heartbeat, but their other identifying features are blurrier and more muted. You wouldn't want it on during combat because it limits your scope of what's happening around you. It makes dodging more difficult and the timing window for the button press is much smaller, giving you less time to react. But some enemies, like the hand ninja would rely on stealthy movement themselves, so you either have to turn on the vision briefly to get a bead on them and try and fight, or maybe there could be environmental ways to generate sounds or other ways to highlight sneaky enemies. Another disadvantage could be that while concentrating, you would be more susceptible to sonic attacks, or loud noises in general. Anyone familiar with your power set would try and take advantage. Say a flash bang would normally stun for a few seconds, but if you were concentrating, it could knock you prone, or double the stun duration.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

"You don't like it, take it up with Bast." :colbert:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I thought I saw somewhere that Bucky was in the game too.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Imagine if Cap wears a combat helmet and mask for the entire game and they never mention Steve at all and then at a pivotal moment near the end he takes it off and it's Isaiah Bradley underneath.

Just make some whiners poo poo their breeches even more AND have a cool character who probably wouldn't ever star in a game otherwise.

YESSS!

I will say that I need more info on this game. All we have so far are characters and setting. What even kind of gameplay are we talking here? (I know no one knows yet)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Why hasn't someone made a DMC/Bayonetta-style game with Blade last gen/this gen? I just want to cut vampires and gently caress up some ice skaters, man.

The short, disappointing version is that Blade hasn't been a marketable IP since the first or second Snipes movie 20+ years ago. Now add the fact that costs millions of dollars to bring a AAA game to the market, and the fact that Blade as an IP is nowhere near as profitable as Spider-man, the X-men (Wolverine specifically) or any of the individual Avengers, it kind of makes sense.

The fact that Black Panther is one of the most successful movies out of the entire Marvel movie machine, and we never got any kind of Black Panther game is almost astounding.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

At least it's not Damien

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Christ. Is this for real? That feels like something that would happen in Sunset Overdrive, not Batman Sidekicks: The Take-backening. It would almost fit with the humor in the Suicide Squad game. Hit a random jukebox in the environment 7 times, this song plays and you get an achievement.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It's such a bad cover too

Oh yeah, I thought that was implied. Not as though the big, brassy version would make it much better

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

Not that I was gonna bother with it, but 30fps on a melee combat game? come on, i thought we were past this.

I can see it for PS4, maybe, but there's no way someone doesn't figure out a hack of some kind on the PC version.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is it actually poo poo or just flawed and a victim of hype

(I'm actually asking, not trying to be contrarian)

I believe that it's closer to the second, rather than the first.

It's largest sin is that it's a Batman game, made by the Arkham team, but it is not a Batman Arkham game, if that makes sense.

It's story is not as long as the other Arkham games, but there is an emphasis on replay and grinding for better loot/cosmetics. There are 4 characters to play as, but they are very similar in feel.

I think for 50% off it's probably a good deal seeing as how it only came out a few months ago.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

It's a little old, but the 2D Scott Pilgrim game just released on Steam for $5 with the DLC characters included.

It's an old favorite of mine from a few years back, but if you like beat em ups it's one of the best
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2215260/Scott_Pilgrim_vs_The_World_The_Game__Complete_Edition/

ED: On closer inspection controller support requires turning off steam overlay, and playing at all has the lovely Ubisoft Connect garbage to wade through. Buyer beware, I guess. If you can deal with that bullshit, there is an excellent game buried in there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

It might be kind of fun to have a game where for every major fight, the gameplay part of it is at normal speed/slowed down, but shortly after, there is an optional replay where it plays the events back with how it looked for an outside observer.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

I was originally excited about this game but the more I hear about it the less I care. I just want a drat sequel to Arkham Knight. I love Arkham Knight.

Consider this though - Batman doesn't use guns. This game features 4 characters that use guns, making the overall content 4x better than Batman.

I must be weird, because take away all the GAAS stuff, and this looks like a tragically mis-branded fun time. If this was GI Joe Kills the Justice League (Or even just a straight up GI Joe game), I think it would be amazing. Give me a run and gun, multiplayer game with a handful of different, if not unique, characters to play as, and I can see the appeal. I think there's a fun time available here, but having to make it a licensed game with DC properties is very much hamstringing the design and hammering a square peg into a round hole.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, give me control of 1 turtle with all the different weapons, and swapping between for different situations, sounds fun.

But the story is such a loving downer

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Me: I wanna play Marvel Snap!

Mom: We have Marvel Snap at home

*marvel snap at home*

Shouldn't they at least call it "Duel Force"? From what it sounds like, it's not actually 2 on 2 battles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I mean, The Boys fit in with the MK universe way better than DC. Peacemaker could be fun, but feels, I dunno, disingenuous?

Of course, since we've been shown and told nothing (other than MK12 is coming and is the next thing to come from NRS) this feels like wishful thinking at best.