Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Well, that video has less of Wolverine running around throwing poo poo at Sabretooth so there's that. Is it just me or is it weird that buildings are hard edges to the map? In XCom you could run into buildings, and getting thrown through a window and continuing the fight inside seems like a real superhero thing to do. I guess I'm just nitpicking though, I've just been disappointed since the gameplay reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Last time this conversation happened, Slay the Spire got used as the "well obviously people who hate digital card games have never played it" so I did, in fact, play it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Samovar posted:

Ah, but did you like it?

No.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Here's an interview about Gotham Knights (the game, not to be confused with Gotham Knights, the show with the same premise)

Apologies for the choice of site, CBR is rear end but what comic news site isn't.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Midnight Suns Captain America video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZrKZInJ9nk

Edit: Ignoring the gameplay, I think that little flame on the Midnight Suns costume's shield is just a bit silly. But other than that, it's a good-looking shield.

catlord fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 10, 2022

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gotham Knights Is Designed as a Different Game for Each DC Hero

quote:

"Every character gets custom lines per level per cinematic, and they each get a character arc with multiple cinematics in it," WB Games Montréal narrative director Montréal Lemay told Inverse. "It was a lot of writing. But because we wanted that to be part of the experience -- and because gameplay and animation were doing the same thing on their side with unique animation sets and unique gameplay per character -- you had to rise to the occasion. It's four games in one."

The Bat Family-focused game, which lets players choose between Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin, was designed to encourage at least four playthroughs with each character, added cinematics director Wilson Mui. "We've managed to deliver essentially four cinematics in one," Mui said. "So when you're playing as Red Hood, you're gonna get your version of that cinematic, but let's say you decide to switch to Nightwing or Batgirl, you're gonna get their version. I can honestly tell you, those are four very different cinematics, different dialogue, and different interactions with characters."

I wonder how easy it'll be to make the story completely incoherent through switching characters.

Gotham Knights Game Prequel Series Debuts an 1800s Gotham City Hero

quote:

The synopsis for Batman: Gotham Knights – Gilded City reads, "In Batman: Gotham Knights – Gilded City, a mysterious virus has infected Gotham City—turning its victims into rabid, yellow-irised maniacs driven to looting, theft, and bursts of anger. Batman – in his final case before his death – and his Gotham Knights struggle to keep this strange virus contained while investigating its origins. But this is not the first time this unusual illness has overtaken the city, as the series splits between present-day Gotham City and the Gotham City of the 1800s, as The Dark Knight and his allies discover the Runaway – one of Gotham City’s earliest masked vigilantes."

That sounds kinda fun, the kind of stuff I like to read.

Oh, and there's an Iron Man gameplay video for Midnight Suns that I haven't watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryPiuPeOTuA

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Batman's 'really dead' and the Joker won't be in Gotham Knights, says creative director

quote:

As part of a fan Q&A at San Diego Comic-Con, WB Games Montréal creative director Patrick Redding said that Batman is "really dead" in Gotham Knights, according to IGN(opens in new tab). Really and truly and for real this time, no take-backsies in the final cutscene or anything. Also, the Joker won't be in it, though Redding followed that statement by saying, "I will not confirm or deny whether Harley is". Given that Harley Quinn is practically the face of the DC Universe these days, her appearance wouldn't be too surprising.

How many villains have they actually confirmed?

quote:

Redding gave away one more detail about Gotham Knights: how many of the Riddler's question marks would be scattered across its version of Gotham City. Apparently, there's "exactly one" of them. Sorry, puzzle fans.

Well there's some good news.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gotham Knights will take multiple playthroughs to see the whole story

That's a very hyperbolic title for what's going on.

quote:

"We actually made four [stories], not just one!" said Mui. Ellenor followed up by saying that "You will not see all of it in a single playthrough. Just because there’s so much content that is unique to the hero’s perception of what’s going on and what’s happened."

As the cinematic director, Mui was certainly involved in making each mission distinct for each hero. "Structurally, we’re gonna have a very similar scene that overall falls in the flow for each character, but each character has their own version of that," he said. A character's version will differ because they move, speak, and act differently, and have their own history with different characters they meet.

"If you were to look and play Batgirl, you’re gonna get Batgirl’s version," said Mui, "but if you play Robin, you’re gonna get Robin’s version of that same scene. Some of them are very similar in how they do it, but they’re gonna have little subtle differences."

That said, I am kinda thinking about how you could kinda replicate the line-crossovers where the different characters have different side quests. similar to how there'd be a main crossover storyline and then the characters each have their own storyline that runs alongside it in their own book. But that'd actually be making four games, so, you know, I get it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yeah, and if the rumours are to be believed, WB Montreal had a Suicide Squad game and a Damian Wayne Batman game cancelled before this one. I'm kinda curious if we'll hear about the development for these games, it sounds like it was... troubled.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

This looks neat, if not official:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajiJSBXxJ_I

There have been a surprising amount of Doom and Wolfenstein Batman mods.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Will this one be the first good Hellboy game? Will it at least be better than Dogs of the Night?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I mean, I might pick it up if or when it comes to GOG, during a sale, but only because people keep insisting it's actually good.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Apparently Midnight Suns is having a free weekend. Maybe I'll load up Steam to try it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I did try the free weekend, and I will note that my computer is definitely starting to creak so that was kinda miserable. But didn't love it, not gonna pick it up if/when it shows up on GOG. Hated the combat, which really dampened enthusiasm for the rest which was... adequate, though like I said I found it hard to get enthused about. Some of the dialogue options weren't quite what I expected, I very much did not intend to tell Nico that she was nothing without the staff? Sorry Nico, I never read Runaways but you seem cool. Glad to be with the EMO KIDS.

I wouldn't be surprised it it doesn't have the long tail of an XCOM game, it doesn't really have the same sense of organic story generation that makes XCOM special. The permadeath and churn of recruits in XCOM ends up creating narratives out of mechanical events that Midnight Suns can't really do. My badass sniper/assault duo Claymore and Cookie managed to take on a whole life of their own, despite just being randomly generated soldiers I was handed who managed to survive better than everyone else they went with.

Anyways, my final takeaways are "gently caress the 2K Launcher" and, what the gently caress is up with Venom's tongue situation? He has a normal, human tongue and a weird glow-y ethereal tongue and once I noticed I couldn't unnotice.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Like, maybe it's me, but the magic trick doesn't work for me, I'd rather have a competently written character with a personality as either a dude in my squad or my nemesis than have to fanfic in my head that the sniper rifle with legs in my team is secretly a poet or whatever.

I have no idea what they did in their off-time, but sure.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It... looks like a game, I guess.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I missed the behind the scenes video before. I did laugh when they promised to continually add new content; that exact line is said in every single GaaS preview and we've seen how that turns out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

It wasn't fully defined, but it was mentioned in like, the opening cutscene.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I suddenly remember the DC MOBA. Not even its name, just that it existed.

Infinite Crisis? I think that was it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Nah, there's already a few games ahead of it with a good shout at taking the record I think.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 already has, I believe.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I personally just think it'd be a fun way to get villains into new costumes during the course of the game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I think the last news was it being delayed like, six months to a year? It's slated for early February currently.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Can't wait for people to dunk on this again and force another delay

I dunno, Zaslav has apparently decided that what they need is more live-service games, so maybe they're just going full-speed ahead, internet be damned.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

You know, I've been looking at "Batman-infused" for so long, but never really thought about it.

But something that might actually be interesting to explore would be if there were legions of also-rans, fanatical devotees of these heroes who would willingly throw themselves into the thresher "For the greater good". An army of Batmen, dressed up in dollar store costumes and hockey pads. A river of racers in red body suits on rollerblades. A convention center of cosplayers, equipped with slinging tiaras and braceleted backhands. But still everyday people. Sure, the heroes would never actually put civilians directly in harm's way. But under the influence of mind control, who can say what would be truly off the table.

Ah, Gotham City Imposters.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Spies vs Mercs except it's Batmans vs Goons

Wasn't that Arkham Origin's multiplayer?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

site posted:

hits some good notes but cap sounds and kinda looks like an rear end in a top hat and well, you can't base any interest off a trailer that has no gameplay

I mean, he has a mission to do and this other dude shows up doing his own thing and making things difficult for him? I can get being a little irritated.

I kinda get The Saboteur vibes from the trailer. I'll obviously need to see gameplay but story-wise I'm intrigued.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Medullah posted:

They really need to learn from Suicide Squad Kills the Justice League. No one wants to see Hulk jumping and smashing, they need to give him and Dr. Strange really big guns.

I mean...

This looks... interesting but I also never played Overwatch. I like how the characters seem like they'll play very differently, and they've got quite the selection.

"https://www.pcgamer.com/games/third-person-shooter/marvel-rivals-is-a-6v6-hero-shooter-in-development-at-netease-testing-begins-in-may/ posted:

The initial roster of characters includes:

Black Panther
    Doctor Strange
    Groot
    Hulk
    Iron Man
    Loki
    Luna Snow
    Magik
    Magneto
    Mantis
    Namor
    Peni Parker
    Rocket Raccoon
    Scarlet Witch
    Spider-Man
    Storm
    Star-Lord
    The Punisher

Surprised by the lack of like, Wolverine. I'm not a multiplayer person really, I might check it out if people says it's good, but I doubt I'd stick with it.

Anyways, if you liked Midnight Suns, they apparently talked about developing the mechanics at GDC. I don't know how much is new insight, some of it sounds familiar to me from prior articles about it, but it's still a look at a game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I did like the character work in Midnight Suns, for the most part. For as weird as the roster is at first glance, they bounce off of each other well. I liked hanging out with Nico. I just need to read classic New Mutants to understand Magik, right? 'Cause I have to admit, from what I played I did not particularly care for her, but I'm also not familiar with her in the comics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Her 4 issue Claremont mini is probably enough. A lot of poo poo happened to her since then, but it gives you the basics of her trauma.

Excellent, looks like it's in one of the collections I was planning on picking up anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Would have made sense, Arkham Asylum was basically what we got instead of a Dark Knight game

I think it's weird because The Dark Knight was going to get a game, but it was developed by Pandemic so I have no idea how this one by Monolith fits into all that.

I always thought the Nemesis system would be fun for getting villains into different costumes each time you met them, but I never put much more thought into it than that.