Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

bessantj posted:

Thanks. Yeah the Spider-Man game was the first movie tie in and I'm sure that I've played it but I don't remember it, just saw it in a shop today for £1 ($1.30). I've never played Marvel Ultimate Alliance but I think I'd read on this forum that one of them is good and one of them is bad. I saw the first one for £2.50 ($3.20) and they're probably both worth it.

UA1 is definitely the better one. I dunno how it holds up solo but I had a blast playing that one with friends and online. It has a ton of DLC that I liked but I dunno if any of that’s available.

Spider-Man 1 isn’t great, but it’s a neat little novelty, I think. I remember some of the cheats to play as Green Goblin being kinda cool, and the tutorial narration is incredible, as mentioned.

I’d say they’re both worth it at those prices if you have a way to play em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

iirc the years ago rumor was that it was going to be a much more "epic" cinematic, high production value version of the Ultimate Alliance stuff. Far fewer playable characters and I think based off/limited to the MCU stuff?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Hell surprised they didn't have Travis there as the Hulk or Thor

Travis Willingham is Thor. :v: Though I definitely agree, it's getting to parody levels of these guys winding up in everything.

Also the game sounds... really weird. They said free content updates, but does that mean expanding on its story mode? Is the multiplayer part completely separate from the campaign? They were super fuzzy on the structure details besides "it's a GaaS deal" and "no loot boxes we promise." The presentation was real incoherent and not showing any actual gameplay despite having a demo available is... a choice, I guess.

Also if they're not blindly handcuffed to the MCU's mistakes, would it have killed them to have more than 1 lady on the team.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So Nintendo has a thing called the Treehouse Live at E3 where people involved with new games play with Nintendo of America and talk about the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY46t_vapTM

The segment on Ultimate Alliance 3 was pretty good, and in fact they are doing another one live right now.

:allears:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

In cancelled game news, here's a whole album of in-progress stuff from the cancelled Spider-Man 4 game.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Ultimate Alliance 3 showed off some of its DLC.

Loki is an unlockable who I think is just in the base game? Cyclops and Colossus are free DLC and not part of the X-Men pack coming later, and Marvel Knights is the first part of the paid DLC.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Medullah posted:

I want Ron Funches voiced Killer Shark from the Harley Quinn series.

I saw him on the Giant Beastcast and it threw me for a loop that that's just his natural speaking voice. :allears:

(also he's a really good dude so just make him Shark's permanent voice)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I better be able to play as Slipknot, the man who can climb anything.

I wouldn’t recommend not playing as Katana.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

What’s Gotham Knights?

The name they gave the Batfamily team during Rebirth

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Let Ron Funches voice King Shark you absolute cowards

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCsptWe21uE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np-QRdUTkSs

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Barbara Gordon is way more famous than either of those. Like even people who don't know Batgirl's real name know at least she has red hair.

if only there was some media the other two could appear in to become more popular

perhaps a game played entirely in video? no, that’s preposterous

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, if you just want a superhero brawler it seems fine. I have no idea how it'll do as a multiplayer GAMES AS SERVICE thing but it's a solid enough Avengers game.

I feel like games like Destiny that actually have insanely well refined gameplay can pull off something where you want to dump in 1000 hours to deal with all the bullshit hoops a service game makes you jump through.

I don't think Avengers is that type of game.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I remember the original Spider-Man movie tie-in game had a lot of cheat codes and unlocks. You could cheese some of them by unlocking the level select, and picking the credits sequence on the hardest difficulty so it would count you beating the game like that.

From there, you could play through the game as the Green Goblin with different controls, and the story is rewritten through dialogue so that you're Harry dealing with some impostor Goblin. It's kinda funny how much effort they put into something so few people probably ever saw. Playing as him also let you cheese the hell out of the time trials and survival portions since you were much faster and could also just fly and spam little drones.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

They also posted a much longer gameplay reveal. Nothing really too new but it has a more nuanced overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRieHP1b7Gs

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I think I understand the knee jerk reactions tbh. I've always habitually avoided games with card mechanics just because it sounds like something I wouldn't like.

Playing the Back 4 Blood beta made me break down and engage with it and I realized like, "oh this isn't a bolted on card game it's just a weird way to present these upgrades and make them semi-random."

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Put in romance options but make them all the 10 second cutscenes from Saints Row 4.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

I hope Wolverine likes deck building.

If there's a single card in that game it will be ruined.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

He's finally here.

Performing for you.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1464637670966108161

ah poo poo, here we go again

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

catlord posted:

I'm looking forward to Champions Online 2!

Was Champions Online any good? I always thought of it as the also-ran after City of Heroes/Villains but I never tried it when I was playing the free trials of various MMOs.

Edit: vv Wait, it's still around? I thought it died some time after City of Heroes. The gently caress.

Champions has a really in-depth character creator, which is a shame because the actual character faces look like melting wax figures (and is also MTX'd to hell.)

And then the actual gameplay is just button mashing while you're on ice skates. The character building is kind of interesting, but I'm pretty sure they removed the option to subscribe and unlock freeform building so now you have to pay $20 per freeform slot or use the prefabs.

e: also City of Heroes is a dead game run by an illuminati on private servers and it gets more frequent new content than Champions.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah I'm baffled why they did a Tim/Barbara romance in the Arkham games. It makes no sense at all and is just super distracting.

afaik they planned to use Stephanie Brown and DC made them switch her out

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am interested in the game. It does not look terrible to me.

Same except the exact opposite

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Pull yourself up by your batarangs.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I'm discussing the realism of Jason Todd's iconic signature ability, the soul trampoline

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Isn't it only 2 player anyway?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=116Vptosbg8

Marvel Hearthstone by the original Hearthstone people is a thing now, beta's started for people with Android phones

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

tbh I'd liken Miles Morales to be the "DLC" equivalent in this case even though it was sold as separate. GTA4 and RDR did more or less the same and I'd consider them as top of the class for DLC updates.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

What if we called them "abilities" and they're little triangle tiles on the UI. You refresh a random ability every round, and have to pick an ability loadout!

See, now it's not cards. :)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I like America Chavez hailing from a world where fully luxuriated les-biocommunism means her parents naming her America is totally divorced from the implications it would have here.

Yeah, shame they got rid of all the fun backstory

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

The Flash, exclusively on Newgrounds

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

It's not even that it's flat, it's that everything seems unnatural. "WHO IS A GOOD GIRL? IT IS MY CHARLIE GIRL!" just sounds like someone phoning it in, not a deliberate directorial choice.

In almost every case it's direction. Between what they ask for in the overall performance, the performer's range as seen in literally anything else, giving/not giving notes after takes, and which takes they choose to use? If you get a bad performance out of the most prolific and successful voice actors in the biz, it's 100% on direction

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I can’t wait to use Katana’s famous gun

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I can't wait to Batman infuse my Riddler content

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Bruce being the D.Va of the game is really funny tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

It's literally built off the bones of Netease's Overwatch mobile port, same as their Tarisland WoW-clone coming after Blizzard refused to extend their contract. It's a 6v6 character-based team shooter with moba abilities and a tank, healer, dps split where you're pushing a cart

And I mean

Even the UI looks similar. They're really not trying to hide it