Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Dr Fate has convinced me to at least give Injustice 2 a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

You know, I have a sneaking suspicion they're putting Atom in.

Could be Doll Man

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Because Capcom made it.

What's the last good game they made? Dragon's Dogma?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

How soon are we going to get interesting DLCs for MVC:I?

ImpAtom posted:

That's a really silly comment. Dragon's Dogma came out in 2012. Since then they've put out multiple well-recieved Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright titles and they just released Resident Evil 7 which had a pretty drat positive reception. In fact it had a significantly more positive reception than Dragon's Dogma did.

I've never played a Monster Hunter, and I forgot that they still made Phoenix Wrights. Also, I forgot that Dragon's Dogma came out in 2012, since I mostly play games on the PC and it hit Steam in 2016. Also not much of a RE fan.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wanderer posted:

One of the odd things about Capcom as a company is that while its reputation is in the toilet among games enthusiasts and long-time fans of its franchises, it hasn't had an out-and-out bomb on its recent record besides 2013's Remember Me. Many of its games didn't meet their wildly enthusiastic internal sales predictions (which seems to be a widespread problem with Japanese developers in particular; see also how Hitman sold perfectly well but still got branded as a failure by Square Enix, which is why IO Interactive is now an indie studio), but on the other hand, five of Capcom's top ten best-selling games of all time were released in the last five years.

Its output has slowed to a trickle of what it was even seven or eight years ago, due to the prohibitive costs of developing on modern consoles, but all you can really say with any accuracy about its output is that it hasn't put out any games that were interesting to you. Critically and financially, Capcom's actually doing quite well, despite the fact that every decision it makes seems to piss off a brand-new segment of its audience.

Just to be clear, I wasn't bitching. I was just wondering. Remember that my perspective is someone who mostly plays PC games.

Also yeah, people act like Capcom is Konami, which... they aren't. I guess they're afraid that's what's going to happen in the end? Is Capcom diversified enough to just say gently caress it to the AAA game scene?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

My semi-pro fighter game friend is super excited about MvC and it's future potential

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

They had free rein for the Walking Dead sequels (short of deciding to cure the zombie plague) and those are the worst offenders of lack of choice.

Was this actually specified, or are you assuming that Kirkman would have poo poo his pants if they tried? I mean he probably would

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I'm just saying that they were told to do whatever as long as it didn't directly contradict the comics.

Oh, so that's why the games are bad, then. Being good would violate that. :smuggo:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

They should put a Dragon's Dogma character in MvC. It should randomize the class every time you select it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Zoro posted:

Nah, that'd be bad. I mean, fighting games are all about learning the character. A random element is just gonna frustrate players since the whole shitck is about learning the character.

I know. That's why I want it. :getin:

Also, bring back Doom. In fact, make every character Doom. :chaostrump:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Hasn't Capcom's success making money off pachinko and mobile gaming been diverting their attention away from traditional video gaming a bit? Obviously nowhere near the level of Konami, but that probably factors in at least a bit.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wanderer posted:

They have been doing that sort of thing for as long as they've been a company. Resident Evil alone has several pachinko machines, several cell phone games, a theme restaurant, an amusement park ride, three animated movies that got theatrical releases, a clothing line, several different high-end toy lines, a licensed brand of airsoft pistols, and a trading card game. They've been diversified to hell and gone for decades and it's never slowed them down.

Yeah, but those other enterprises seem to be increasing in profitability and less sunk costs like you talk about in the rest of your post in comparison to console and computer gaming in general in Japan, which might be leading them to invest more resources into it. Since it all probably has a better rate of return, some staff might get transferred, etc. This isn't a bad thing, it's just them responding to the market. Just something to keep in mind regarding things like B-teams getting assigned to projects.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

OptimusShr posted:

How in the gently caress is a demo 43 gigs? :psyduck:

It's probably a locked version of the full game.

Vakal posted:

Laziness.

Yeah, this.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

JordanKai posted:

I just read up on it and apparently WB already had Todd's blessing to put Spawn in their games as of MKX. I guess someone on the development team must've pushed for Hellboy or something!

There's no reason they can't put Spawn in later on too, if you were looking forward to sweet "Wanda!" action.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

JordanKai posted:

For sure, I'm just a little perplexed that Hellboy got in before Spawn seeing as Spawn won one of Ed Boon's esteemed "which of these characters would you like to make it into our game?" twitter polls.

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/799095756946886656?lang=en

Sometimes you have to give the people what they really need instead of what they think they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Spawn strikes me as a character who works in the Mortal Kombat universe, while Hellboy works for Injustice.

I hope DC makes a deal with Mignola and puts Hellboy in the Injustice comic.