Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I am quite excited for that Spider-Man game, but I don't really like the white spider design. I've never played a Telltale game, but they look neat. Is the Batman one worth picking up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Android Blues posted:

I actually liked this, I thought it was a cool way to show that Harvey's problems are internal and that even if Batman had saved him from the scarring, something was bound to snap sooner or later.

Didn't TDKR already do that? Why retread something like that in a series that prides itself on choices mattering?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

I liked how Injustice's Nightwing could switch from the big Tim Drake staff to the Dick Grayson kali sticks, I suppose actually putting in a separate Robin character doesn't leave much for him to do.

Well, Nightwing won't be in it, right? He died.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought Dick was standard Nightwing and Damian was the alt. I'm just talking purely gameplay wise here. Damian became red Nightwing yeah, but he's Robin now, so there should be no point in Nightwing for the sequel.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gavok posted:

Here's a history of Marvel vs. Capcom thing I wrote.

Basically a reminder that Birdy existed and Capcom thought enough of her to immortalize her in sprite form.

I still have a PS1 copy of Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter. It's scratched beyond oblivion, only occasionally works, and all the music is muted, but it's still a really fun game.

Except Cyber Akuma. Cyber Akuma is bullshit.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The only bad thing I can think of regarding the SquareEnix/Marvel is that it means I have to wait longer for my Dynasty Warriors style Avengers vs Skrulls game.

I didn't know how badly I wanted this until now.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I am actually quite excited for that Spider-Man game. It's been a while since I've had one and it's always really fun to webswing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Knight is definitely not as good as City. The Batmobile weighs it down from a gameplay perspective and Jason weighs it down from a narrative perspective.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

The stealth's also way weaker.

Oh, undeniably. The abundance of outside environments seriously hurt my enjoyment of the predator stuff. It's a bit difficult to get into vantage positions or honestly to even care to bother when I can just leap off the side of the building and climb up the other side. It's way easier. Which is the problem. They want to do stuff like 15 guys in Predator, but that's not as fun as it sounds. And as cool as the slow motion super takedown is at first, it ends up taking away what I felt was the original point of Predator. You have combat to be Super Batman and punch 30 guys into the group and then you have predator to be Guns Still Kill You Batman where you have to be smart to win. Not just persistent.

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't feel like Jason was a spoiler, because it was the most predictable thing in the world.

I think I may forever resent Rocksteady just a little bit for genuinely trying to sell to us that the Arkham Knight was not Jason Todd.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It didn't help that Arkham Knight was the first time Jason Todd had been mentioned in the series (beyond an Easter Egg in a challenge map or something).

Yeah, the fact that Arkham Asylum clearly didn't intend on sequels in continuity really screwed things up for them. From the timeline we're given, Tim has been Robin for like 5 minutes. No wonder he's hardly a presence in either game. If they could have at least brought him up a bit in City, they could've better hid the Arkham Knight "twist" even though we all knew from the jump.

redbackground posted:

I was more upset at Tim x Barbara. Dicky G is right there!

She's wearing a Dick Grayson pendant through the whole game. It makes no sense to me. Like when Black Widow wore an arrow through all of Winter Soldier and then suddenly Hawkeye has a wife and kids in Ultron.

Lurdiak posted:

There also wasn't a single stealth section that used those beeping collars that alert surrounding goons when you take one down, and I'm pretty sure the ability to make the last few goons completely go insane with fear by doing perfect stealth is gone as well, in a game about fear.

Watching the last guy go completely insane and torturing him with intentionally missed batarangs is one of my favorite things :(

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Waffleman_ posted:

Origins should have been set further in the past, because ol' Bruce goes through three Robins and a Batgirl in the course of 10 years and that's not a good look.

I wish Origins had taken place the next year with Robin. I've had a full fill of Year One.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

catlord posted:

Played A Matter of Family last night, and I can't help but feel that they should have had Jason instead of Tim as Robin in it. It would have given him a bit more to his character. Also it makes me realise that the movement abilities in Knight are pretty good, to the point where I can't think of a time when I needed the Line Launcher, so I'm always thrown when there's a puzzle I need it for because I just completely forget about it.

I agree. After building up a relationship between the two in a few audio tapes, I think that would've made more sense. The timeline is so messed up.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Waffleman_ posted:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363291

Here's a roundup on info regarding characters considered for Marvel vs Capcom 3.

I wonder why Marvel pushed so hard for Nova

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
They've decided to reveal 3 DLC characters for Injustice 2. There is something so seriously wrong about DLC being released before the game itself is out. It's already approaching $70 for the base game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eqGjIIOV2Q

Sub-Zero is the best character in his franchise though, so I can't lie, I'm happy to see him. Even if he looks like the Mask of the Phantasm.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Today I learned that Boon apparently contemplated putting Buffy the Vampire Slayer into Injustice 2, but she lost a Twitter poll. I'm really sad now.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Hey look, it's everyone's favorite Bat-child:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzcSxa28p6A

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So I played MvCI and it's...not that good? Why is it not that good?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I knew they took out assists. I thought I just couldn't figure the button like some kind of idiot. The gems weren't even cool.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wow. Yeah, I'm sure the modern Marvel fan has absolutely no clue who Wolverine is and is yet clamoring for Captain Marvel. You knew you were gonna get the question, I expect a better lie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm surprised to hear someone prefer Knight to City honestly. City is Great.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think the only one I didn't pull off is the one where you have to do like 15 different moves in one combo. Hell with that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Here's Telltale's trailer for Season 2 of Batman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXRbi8Elxx0

Personally I dunno how much I can care for yet another early Batman story with a bunch of villain origins.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I suppose it's not Telltale's fault, but it's too soon for another Batman property to be throwing Harley and Waller and Joker at me. Though all the talk of Bat Family always perks my ears up. I love me some sidekicks.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm still real sad it wasn't Buffy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm so curious as to if it's the 4 individual turtles or all 4 as one character like Noob-Smoke on crack.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
At this point, I'm ready for anything. Put The Rock in there. Not Black Adam, either.

Gaz-L posted:

Their special trait is probably swapping weapons/turtles. And Don and Raph are probably gonna share a LOT of Jade and Mileena's moves from MKX.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Who the heck thinks Arkham City was a colossal disappointment? Heck em!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
None of the Arkham games have great stories, I wouldn't pit them against each other based on that category.

Waffleman_ posted:

I woulda liked to see Arkham Beyond.

Yes, but only if they change a number of things about Beyond to get there.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The central premise of Origins is actually very cool which is why the way the game handles it was so disappointing to me. 2 of the villains aren't completely optional content. The best moment is actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYH7K_IRTfw&t=60s

But I also found it incredibly glitchy when it first released and that soured me on the game. Knight just needed to ease up on the loving Batmobile and have less segments take place outside.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Honestly destroying a bunch of poo poo randomly doesn't appeal to me at all. The worst thing about taking turns with my friends in GTA was that they would never do any missions. They'd just drive around seeing how high they could get their Wanted level without dying. Some people find that fun and that's cool, but it's just aimless button mashing to me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Man, I loved those Legends/Ultimate Alliance games. I'm a sucker for 4 player co-op.

Lobok posted:

I don't mean aimlessly causing destruction outside of missions. In the case of Superman, I meant destruction over the course of a fight. I think you were able to throw cars because passengers would automatically get out of them but that's about as far as you could get without being punished.

Isn't that the point of playing as Superman and not The Hulk?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Having a big fight against someone like Doomsday and also trying to preserve as much of the city as possible is exactly what I would expect from Superman. Trying to fight while also being conscientious of the citizens or like catching a car he threw at you and placing it down instead of throwing it back. Smashing Zod through 50 buildings and then throwing a bus at him is...yeah, no, I stand by what I said. That's The Hulk.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you because I've only seen the game on Youtube and not played it myself. Do you think the system just needed less strict parameters?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
How did the Telltale Guardians game go? Have those games died off now?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Spider-Man games normally have landmarks like that, don't they? I remember the Ultimate game had the Baxter Building, the Sanctum Sanctorum, and a Latverian embassy. I don't remember if Avengers Tower was in it, but I don't think so.

good day for a bris posted:

Continuing the Arkham discussion from the Television thread, I will honestly say that I liked Origins maybe as much as I liked City, or maybe a little less but definitely more than Knight. There was a lot of jankiness that bothered me, but I liked the story a lot. It was a pretty cool little story to have Batman hunted by a bunch of assassins on Christmas, the only thing I wish they had done is avoid making it a Joker story.

Also I'm a sucker for Christmas Batman.

Origins was pretty glitchy for me on console when I picked it up. I've never fallen through the floor so many times. Plus its really cool premise is betrayed. Plus I thought I was going to get Robin and he was relegated entirely to a multiplayer mode that nobody played evidenced by 3 hour queues. Origins is definitely an Arkham game and that brings a certain level of quality, but it's at the bottom clearly for me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah Asylum felt like it was kinda meant to straight up take place in the TAS continuity. Then there was a sliding scale of weirdly wanting to redo a lot of things I suppose. Hush, Strange, and a few other villains have oblique references in Arkham Asylum. Then once City came out everyone had to break out the headcanon and discontinuity to make things fit. It's strange to me because the City easter egg exists, so it's not like they didn't know there would be a sequel.

That analysis of Origins is spot on though. One of the quibbles I have in addition is that two of the assassins are completely optional content. You never even have to bother with Shiva and Deadshot. That's kinda silly.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm going to play around with the other suits and pretend like I'm not just going to use the symbiote for as long as possible.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
...what do you mean there's no symbiote? It's going to be DLC. That makes me sad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

muscles like this! posted:

Listening to Giant Bomb talk about Spider-Man and they mention that if you run up to a person on the street and hit the attack button instead of punching the person or just hitting the air Spidey will do stuff like a thumb's up or finger guns.

I'm like 20 minutes away from having it and I want to download another copy. Holy heck

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Web-swinging is really fun even though I'm still learning how to work it. The plot seems neat. I'm a sucker for side-mission icons, so I'm going nuts doing all of those.

My only negative so far is combat. It looks like Arkham's combat, but it is definitely not as good in my opinion.

Full disclosure, I died in the tutorial boss. More than once. Idk, it just isn't working for me. Maybe because it's so similar to Arkham that I just don't know the iframes and stuff? I dunno. Spidey is somehow not as good at countering and dodging and in general not eating 1000 punches at once.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like the cop thing. I feel like in both of the last two Spidey games I played, Ultimate and Web of Shadows, they shoot at you. Enough of that. In general, I feel like I'm playing in a really awesome version of the Marvel universe. When I got the 5 exp thing you can get from just hanging with civilians, I go so happy it's not even funny. That is seriously the best.

I'm boring. I just keep switching back and forth between Ben Reilly and Classico. Get that white spider outta here.