Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Black feels like prime DLC material. On that note, I laughed at a one off line Spidey has in one of the sidequests. There's an impostor Spider-Man going on and while Spidey is investigating he's relieved because the guy is taking down thugs without killing them. "Good to see he's not a lethal protector.

I still don't like the combat, but this game is so nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TwoPair posted:

No I wish it were more like Arkham and enemies would be nice enough to stand around and wait for me to counter all of their attacks one at a time. Instead I've got to actually watch out for a whole bunch of goons at once, what bullshit.

This, but unironically. Those big guys get on my nerves and all I wanna do is throw a thing, but you gotta hold the buttons down and also NOBODY CAN DO ANYTHING for like 2 seconds or whoops there goes my combo.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Bullets still reach up there. Gotta press circle and interrupt the animation all the same. Luckily, I got an ability to disarm henchmen! Oh wait, it also needs me to have 2 seconds of nothing happening so I can do that. One at a time.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know it's thrilling for nerds to try and gg each other, but I'm not exactly stonewalled in the game here. I paid my $65, I can complain about whatever I want. Suit powers refill incredibly fast. Mashing Web Blossom will get me through just about every fight, yes, but it isn't very fun. Neither is throwing a punch and then jumping off the building (that I may not even be on) to run around. The combat system has its advantages and has its fun and no, it's not Arkham. It's not perfect though and I can acknowledge that without "Well actually SonicRulez, have you considered pressing the jump button?"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That is very sad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I got the With Great Power trophy.

I need to lie down now.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

bunnyofdoom posted:

How do i trigger Selfie mode when taking photos?

When in photo mode, you change the camera type. It's on the first menu. Took me a second too.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sentinel Red posted:

OH HELL YES

(late side mission spoiler)

I actually jumped the first time he decided to pop in on me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There has to be something up though, right? The Baxter Building should be right there in NY, but it's not one of the monuments to snap like the Sanctum or Avengers Tower.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't see a hoodie, therefore no.

That Deadspin article is gaining traction and it's really annoying.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Finished the game. Need to lie down again.

I like this Spider-Man universe they've set up. It's what I always want in an adaptation. It's different enough to notice, but familiar enough to feel right. Very good game. Even got the Platinum.

Still never learned to dodge.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There really is a poo poo load of different tools you have in combat. It's tough to remember all of them. The only thing I don't like about the challenges is that there's nothing to explain exactly how to improve your score in the stealth and combat challenges. Arkham explained everything at the end of each challenge. I had to experiment with the stealth in particular.

The bombs and drones were how I got a few golds to have enough tokens for all the suits.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I swapped between Classic, Homecoming, Ben Reilly, and weirdly I really liked The Last Stand. I don't remember Spider-Man being in the 3rd X-Men movie, but whatever.

Skwirl posted:

I think it's like 90% time for combat and stealth.

Not just time. Specifically, your score for each henchman takedown is multiplied based on how quickly you take one down after taking another one down. Like you need to chain them to get a high score.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I liked the MJ quest where you tell Spidey to take guys out. That felt fun. The rest and all of Miles' segments I could've done without. I prefer Arkham's way of stealth. It's a little harder as Batman, but it felt easier to set up takedowns and vary them in fun ways. A predator room that goes perfectly just feels better to me.

Honestly my favorite minor NPC interaction is in the first like 10 minutes of the game. "You're a little weird, but you got a good heart" is a cute way to sum up Spider-Man in general.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
On Norman, you can find some of his trademark bombs in the secret room. I wanna say there's tech blueprints for a glider too, but I may have made that part up.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3. NINTENDO SWITCH EXCLUSIVE.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1070863445468139521

I've tried so hard not to buy a loving Switch. Then they do this.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Court of Owls is like....fine, but not the coolest thing I've ever heard. However the Arkham series kicked rear end. Origins is absolutely my least favorite (it was the most glitchy and they blew the premise imo) but it was still a solid game. If they cut back on the Batmobile, it's a go. And also keep up the multiple playable characters thing. That ruled in Arkham Knight.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

omg chael crash posted:

Remember that weird Batman FPS?

Ok, but the multiplayer in Origins was actually pretty drat fun

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

If we're talking about synergy and continuity, I'm still kinda disappointed the Arkham series took the departure it did after the first one. Asylum's continuity is very clearly "Every Batman story you like has already happened, but we're not shackling ourselves to the current status quo, everyone is alive and in their most iconic version", and that was a fine place to be for a video game that features a very experienced Batman fighting All Your Favorites. But starting with City they took a wildly different tack and decide that only the things they felt like having already happened had happened, and they happened in a different way than you expect from reading the comics, but they're not going to elaborate on that unless they feel like it, and they're going to redo classic villain origin stories and classic storylines but in an awkward sped-up way.

Asylum felt it was made before they considered being greenlit for sequels. I didn't mind them having created their own continuity afterwards even if they leaned really hard into the dick Batman that I don't like very much, but yeah. Asylum blatantly does not make sense with its prequel and sequels with regards to a few riddles and other comments.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Jason Todd didn't exist in the Arkham games until Knight either.

That was my big problem with it. In general I prefer Jason to be dead in Batman continuity, but I get it. It's the last one. They want the whole family. So we have DLC with 3 Robins and Batgirl and Catwoman. That's fun and neat. But we really had no reason to believe Tim wasn't just the second Robin until suddenly we're getting all these Jason flashbacks. Come on. Asylum frankly pretended there wasn't even a Robin!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

catlord posted:

Wasn't there a line in Asylum where Joker suggested he killed a Robin? Anyway, I think it was a mistake for Tim to be Robin in A Matter of Family. It should have been Jason, so we could at least have seen him before he "died." As is, we never see Jason before he gets captured by the Joker (unless I'm forgetting a small scene).

If there was, I don't remember it. The only line of dialogue I remember that even hints at Robin in Asylum is in an optional conversation with Joker. I don't recall him alluding to killing him. Either way, you're prolly right on A Matter of Family. It should have been Jason. Or they could've had Jason in an Arkham Origins DLC. Something. That series is sped up.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

catlord posted:

My money's on 1. I think this is going to be, essentially, Arkham Origins 2. Well, if it ever gets announced.

Not super opposed to this since I have wanted a Batman/Dick Robin/Babs Batgirl game for a while now. I'm not going to get one, but Dickbats is also great.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Origins is not very good, no. It was glitchy for me. Like really badly so. And there was so much of it that felt lazy (like them flat out reusing the Bane sidequest from City).

Knight was cool though. Was it the best ever game? No. But it had some good ideas and fun gameplay moments. He said the "I am vengeance" line!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Even without the bugs, stuff like locking Critical Strikes behind a sidequest and the super punishing challenge trees (there's like 1 or 2 encounters in the whole campaign where you can do one of the Predator ones) and Electric Shock super mode made the game feel half-baked to me. A half-baked Arkham game is still pretty good, but not up to par. And I was more frustrated with Joker hi-jacking a possibly neat Black Mask story more than him being a ghost.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Android Blues posted:

It's more just that it feels out of character for Batman, who is usually characterised as a Cop Fan even when the cops are corrupt. He even loves cops in Origins, from what I recall, but he's like, "sadly I must brutally pummel the good cops to steal files from their computer".

Nah, he gets chewed out by Alfred for being pretty brutal with them. Then he rebuttals with like "These cops are corrupt assholes. I'm beating them up as much as I want, shut up."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The comic from what I have experienced is rad. I like that Harley gets a face turn and joins the Bat Family.

The first game I found to be kinda boring.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

You could make a fun comic where ambushing Superman is built up like a heist. It wouldn't work, but it would be fun to see all the planning.

Isn't this an episode of Samurai Jack?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I kinda figure the point of Deadshot is to have the gun guy. If everybody has guns, I feel like his use to the team is in some way diminished.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CzarChasm posted:

Everyone on the team can fire guns. Deadshot's gimmick is that he will hit his target.

But it's a video game.

So whether or not I hit or miss will be down to...my own skill as a player, right? Which will be consistent whether I'm Deadshot, Boomerang, Harley, or King Shark. So that gimmick doesn't really translate to gameplay. It might if he had unique gameplay. But if everyone is being homogenized to some form of shooting, it's less special.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
As a younger lad, I was a huge fan of the Gamecube Ultimate Spider-Man game. The story was fun to play, it had great humor, and just swinging around the city was fun. Venom was pretty much just The Hulk, but he was still cool to play as.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Web of Shadows kinda ruled, but I had it for the Wii and that was not always a fun experience. I would like to play it again on a proper controller. Some of those QTEs with Wii controls were enough to make me scream. But hey, I liked it enough to play both sides of the coin.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That rules SUPER hard.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Origins remains on my poo poo list. It straight up reuses City sidequests like blowing up Titan Bird stuff with the explosive gel or Anarky's bombs being just the same as Zsasz's phones or the repeated AR glide challenges. It was the glitchiest of the 4 for me, with me constantly experiencing loading in without physics and falling through the floor. Quality of life upgrades like Critical Strikes are locked behind not just sidequests, but the challenge system where you have to do things like that Predator challenge that is available like exactly twice in the entire story. Plus you can't do them out of order. So if you miss it, you have to do New Game+ to try again and you can't attempt any of the challenges after it. That the story becomes about The Joker instead of running with its rad premise was just mean.

It's not a bad game despite all of that, but it's a pretty weak follow up to City.

The multiplayer was fun as heck though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Skwirl posted:

I just want a good game where I can be Nightwing or Batgirl for most of the game.

This, basically. I love co-op games, but they do have to be fun.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'll take that Batman idea and that Avengers musou game. I basically want a musou of every franchise to be honest.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
On a whim I picked up Telltale Batman. I've gotten through all of Season 1 and the first episode of Season 2. These games are hilariously goofy. It's been a total joy just streaming them on Twitch with the lads. Talking through choices and laughing at the results.

Has anyone tried the Guardians of the Galaxy one? Is it worth anything?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You do actually get a scene of Selina at the mansion. She just leaves immediately afterwards. Then you have one last meeting with her. I was bummed that after all that work Harvey is unscarred and he still turned heel. And they call him Two Face! That doesn't even make sense in this continuity! I should've saved Selina a bullet.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Elfface posted:

I actually kinda like that as some character-building for Harvey.

"What If Two-Face never got scarred? He'd still be a villain, because that's who he was. Disfigurement doesn't turn someone evil."

Well what they do instead is state he's got split personality that isn't being well medicated and that's not unreasonable for Harvey Dent, but when that's the pitch you kinda feel like there's a version where Bruce continues to do the Nice to Harvey options and Harv gets back on the meds and gets better. You have to pay off the split path if you're gonna bother.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Gotham Knights looks like it could be ok. I am not disappointed it's not Arkhamverse and Court of Owls is a neat story. Not really sure the gameplay gives me good vibes though.

I felt nothing looking at that Suicide Squad trailer. Didn't even chuckle at its jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I feel like broadly Lobok is simply saying it's possible to have a good Superman game without necessarily giving him a sandbox as big as the universe and letting you free roam at the speed of light. I don't think they should be on trial for not having a fully fleshed out AAA Superman pitch at the ready. I'm not saying nobody is making good points, but their base argument is "A good Superman game is possible". Which it is.