Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I better be able to play as Slipknot, the man who can climb anything.

Ironically it will be like Pokemon where you can't step over a small bush and he will be nowhere to be found but his lack of presence often lamented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They've got a new trailer for the GI Joe game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1j4lhpCmgo&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0JZkexXzbCR3Cd5xxdcUkLL7uURR3blBARZo55WAm7Xg29Zzw-DISt1Jc

I'm guessing they, uh, saved some money on the voice acting.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Who's making it?

Looks like it could maybe be an okay budget game for couch co-op, assuming we ever get to have friends sit on our couch again.

GameMill Entertainment, who I'm not familiar with.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

God, I wish Agents of Mayhem had been a good game, and not a boondoggle that seems to have functionally killed one of the more fun development houses in the business.

Right? I was onboard with 'GI Joe but leaning into the lunacy' but then they gave us one of the most boring open worlds possible and enough reused maps to make Dragon Age II look like the Witcher 3. I wonder if that was the goal or something behind the scenes kneecapped them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

It's vaguely related to it (one of the endings of Gat out of Hell has him becoming a cop in a world rebuilt by God, and that's this universe) but most references are just hints and such. I think it was meant to launch a new franchise and boy howdy did they fail. RIP Deep Silver.

It does feel like 'Stilwater AU.' Pierce is shown to be effective when he's not surrounded by people who go 'lol whatever' when he tries to come up with a plan and was running the original three gangs from the first game* when the Cobra analogue whose name I forget tried to take over.

*Vice Kings, Los Carnales and the West Side Rollerz, because some things you can't forget no matter how hard you try.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is the first X-Men Legends game out and about anywhere? I think I enjoy that one more than MUA.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

But I can deck out Captain America in Verizon colors. Verizon up!

No way! Intel costumes rule this playground!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Gotham Knights is as expected. Kind of a soft reboot of the Arkham games and you play as Nightwing, Batgirl, Red Hood, and Robin.

Batgirl's costume taking after the Batgirl of Burnside is cool.

Would have dug it if they'd given us Black Bat or (if you need to) Orphan Cassandra.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Remember when Barbara refused to have her paralysis fixed by means the average person couldn't have, like the Amazons' Purple Ray? Apparently all she had to do was want it enough! Good times.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Honestly that's like the least Land-ish Land art

Although the signs are there, like nobody looking at each other.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

is that fortnight stuff the reason why there's a marvel is over hashtag trending on twitter?

I scrolled for a good while to try and find the cause and got either fans of a certain director going 'GOOD' or people going 'maybe now you'll give Chloe Bennett a spin-off' which, you know, that'd be fine but never found an actual reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1300852550191722501

Man, I wish I'd heard better things about the Avengers game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maximum Carnage was just a side-scrolling brawler but a lot of fun that I may give too much credit because I finished it entirely with a buddy hopped up on, I dunno, Cherry Coke or something. Somebody kind of notable did the soundtrack too, which I liked?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Retro Futurist posted:

So now that more people are playing it, is the Avengers game worth getting?

Most people seem to dig the single player campaign and wish there was more of that, but everything else folks seem meh on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/YuriLowenthal/status/1311367671129075712

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Might have been something they tolerated for PS4 but for the PS5, including the remaster and Miles' game and inevitably the Spider-Man 2 sequel, they made the change. We haven't seen Peter in Miles' game yet, only heard his voice, and this news update is likely a way to get people prepared for him to look different in that.

Yeah. The 'it needs to be a next-gen performance' is telling.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

The game makes explicit that a good chunk of the cops were corrupt. ACAB and all but Watanabe is one member of the crew of "good ones" that Spider-Man has worked with throughout his comics history. And even those good ones sometimes go rogue or betray him or both.

Yeah. I think Watanabe herself turns into a villain down the line in the comics.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Looks like Avengers is $30 on Xbox too. I imagine it also is on PS4/5 but I haven't checked.

I'm tempted with Kate coming and I'm told that if you just do the story stuff it's fun, but I'm still kinda reluctant.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Make the symbiote spell 'juicy.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I look at Knights and already it's 'throw in Cassandra and Stephanie you cowards.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's okay. I don't think I finished it.

Tales From the Borderlands is the one you want to try. Definitely TellTale at its weirdest.

It also feels like the best iteration of TellTale doing it's best to cover up 'the thing happens anyway regardless of your choice' and some of your choices actually stick. (Tales is my favorite TT game.)

Batman felt particularly bad about the opposite. Like you have the option to let Catwoman crash at Wayne Manor and... nothing comes of it save she leaves anyway and you don't even get a scene of her there?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

The Catwoman one was all about building a relationship with her. Except for it to really work you almost had to follow a walk through to pull it off. You needed to make a very specific set of choices to get her to want to be with you.

Meanwhile one crucial choice is save Harvey Dent from having his face melted or stop Catwoman from being shot.

And Catwoman being shot has little consequence (I don't even think it's something you have to do for the Catwoman relationship) Harvey's choice is both wide ranging and unimportant at the same time. It's a strange thing.

I believe if you save Selina is when you get the bit where she might be interested in a relationship because selflessness is attractive. I remember saving her in my playthrough because I figured Harvey was going to be Two-Face regardless which as you say is right... but not.

Haven't played the second season so I'm not sure if it's ever built on or how it tries to keep John Doe and the Joker separate.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SonicRulez posted:

You do actually get a scene of Selina at the mansion. She just leaves immediately afterwards. Then you have one last meeting with her. I was bummed that after all that work Harvey is unscarred and he still turned heel. And they call him Two Face! That doesn't even make sense in this continuity! I should've saved Selina a bullet.

What bothered me a little I guess is they made a big deal of Selina staying there and... it's to leave because Gotham is getting too hot. I was not expecting a house party, a pajama jammy jam, but like something would have been nice. Since the option was there that she never came I guess it made more sense to not do anything.

Telltale was basically hemorrhaging money right after the first Walking Dead game, right? That probably explains why they didn't work too hard on something not everybody was going to see for the most part.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tentatively I've already got 80 hours in this. Which is still less than half I have for XCOM 2 so I'm pretty stoked.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has Cosmo. Sold.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

Firaxis has confirmed that Magik is in the game but I also can't tell if that's supposed to be her or not.

Flaming sword so probably.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If Blade says there's always someone trying to ice skate uphill it's game of the year 10/10.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

But on the other hand, the game won't let my character smooch Nico or Magik or Captain America.

Especially all at once because at least Illyana would be down for that. You're right, worst game of the year 0/10.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

This is what really gets me about all the dismissive skepticism: Firaxis very clearly knows how to make game systems. They're not randos coming up with a brand new deckbuilding-based strategy RPG. These guys more or less took the bare essential ideas of UFO Defense and build an entirely new game around them. I'd like to think they have the benefit of the doubt.

On a serious note, this is what I think. While it only takes a game to squander it, Firaxis feels like they've earned a smidge of goodwill.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there anything about PS5 being available to people at retail finally?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blockhouse posted:

it's funny how the tone of every review is to the effect of "wait is this game actually good"

Apparently they're also finding the increasingly uncommon no-frills single player campaign refreshing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm really impressed how fun Guardians is. If Avengers had been the same way, well, that would have made it a game I bought.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

After Cyberpunk 2077 I can only agree with wanting more time for a game to ripen on the vine, of course now I just hope it's enough time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, Guardians really hammers home what Avengers could have been.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Sort of. The combat in Guardians is significantly worse than even Avengers' button mashing.

Everything around it is good but wow are fights boring.

I didn't feel that at all. Peter's extremely mobile and fun to move around, calling in the team attacks are cool, you can adjust the settings to a large degree if you think it's too fast or slow.

Seriously, all games should at least have the level of control Guardians gives you to alter your experience.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Champions has a really in-depth character creator, which is a shame because the actual character faces look like melting wax figures (and is also MTX'd to hell.)

And then the actual gameplay is just button mashing while you're on ice skates. The character building is kind of interesting, but I'm pretty sure they removed the option to subscribe and unlock freeform building so now you have to pay $20 per freeform slot or use the prefabs.

e: also City of Heroes is a dead game run by an illuminati on private servers and it gets more frequent new content than Champions.

Champions had one thing that honestly carried it a long way for me, which was you could have basically any superhero name you wanted because your name on the server was <super name>@<account name>.info or whatever. I wish more MMOs did that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Calaveron posted:

Peter is too much of a drat wiener nerd in that game, dude needed to not be such a dorkus

On the Puny Parker scale Peter in the PS4 game is sitting solidly in the middle.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OnimaruXLR posted:

I honestly don't know how you do a team game that isn't just Ultimate Alliance style without it turning into a massive counter-productive cost sink. Especially when the characters all have wildly distinct gimmicks.

We're getting that Midnight Sons thing which has a lot of different characters, so it can be done but the problem is they want to chase whatever's the current hotness.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

GotG is coming to Game Pass next week, fyi, so a lot more of us will get to play it. Including me.

It's quite good. The whole team get some amazing moments. Drax in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Oh poo poo, I learned something today! I might jump back in to that this afternoon then

Guardians has a lot of great accessibility options. You can also auto-win QTEs.