Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The initial grind in MUA3 is real but once you start getting a bunch of +XP ISO-8 and unlock the Wakanda rift, it becomes relatively trivial to get characters up to level ~100. I don't know what the 100-150 grind is like since I haven't played much since the level cap was increased, as mentioned earlier the game just doesn't have the replayability of MUA 1 and 2. It's still a lot of fun and I've beaten it on all the difficulty settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I recently played through Batman: The Enemy Within and Anthony Ingruber, the guy who voiced John Doe/Joker, and who is certainly not Mark Hamill, did a stupendous job. Based on what it does to his voice I don't see Mark Hamill doing Joker any more (and am actually surprised he did it as long as he did) so I think any future games should use Ingruber. If they absolutely must have a Joker, that is.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I didn't really feel like Ingruber was mimicking Hamill with his performance in the Telltale game. What I liked about it was that he vacillated between normal Joker speaking voice and rip-roaring-furious-insane Joker and then back again seamlessly, just like you'd expect the Joker to do. His laugh was Hamill-esque, but that's hard to get away from since the "Joker laugh" is just the "Joker laugh" regardless of who does the voice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

thebardyspoon posted:

Unless you really like the characters that are only in the new one, the old ones are much better imo.

Never played MUA2 as I heard it was a dumpster fire, but I enjoyed MUA3 only a little less than 1, and that's saying something as I LOVED the first one.

3 is definitely more streamlined and a little more difficult to break with insane skill stacking (like you could with any ice-slow ability in the first), but I still found it great fun to beat multiple times. It's also a lot easier on the eyes than the older games, even if it's not gorgeous because it's a Switch title.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I thought the Batmobile handled quite well and love driving games so I found it a hoot to drive around, but some of those drone battles could go gently caress themselves. Definitely the most frustrating part of the game, aside from the last four achievements I never got and am years out of practice so probably never will.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

With the merging of two of my favorite things ever (X-Com and Marvel), I don't know what I'm going to tell my wife when this comes out. "Nice knowin' ya"?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You could also do scenarios where at the start of a mission you're controlling one of the Marvel heavy hitters against overwhelming odds of enemies; basically set up to lose. However, the more enemies you take out with Iron Man/Hulk/etc before being "killed" (captured/knocked out), the fewer enemies you'll need to tackle with your squad of expendables to rescue the name-brand hero. Something like that.

Or the opposite situation - your expendables work a mission taking out fodder (skrulls, brood, AIM, etc), before you take control of a heavy hitter for a boss battle against Super Skrull/Brood Queen/MODOK.

It's an eminently solvable situation.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm hype for this game because Firaxis and Marvel, but the whole card-based thing really puts a damper on it. I just don't like the RNG associated with card-based things. RNG from XCOM I can handle, since I know what I'm getting into, but I don't like going into encounters not knowing the tools I'm going to have to deal with the mission.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cards or not, who am I kidding? I’m going to buy it, likely day 1.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Vandar posted:

I like the Arkham games but I really, REALLY hate their take on Tim Drake.

Refresh my memory? My only recollection of him is as a buzzed-head jacked up USMC-Robin type.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Vandar posted:

That's exactly it lol. That's as far from being Tim Drake as humanly possible.

Tim is a thinker, out of all the Robins he's the detective, and he's drat good at it. He's the observer, the planner. He's not some always pissed-off buzzed-head rear end in a top hat. They just completely hosed his character in every possible way.

Gotcha. Yeah, that's probably why that's all I remembered about that Tim, since he's "my" Robin and I thought the take on his character was really off-putting.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I can't remember if it was XML2 or MUA but Iceman had an aura skill that slowed the enemy and if you hit a mob with one of his ice balls that slow and have them in the aura at the same time, they basically slowed to a crawl rendering them completely helpless and vulnerable. Broke the game pretty much.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Give me Hades except it's Marvel and instead of different weapons with different skillsets, it's different superheroes. The random boon system in that is about as far as I care to take random card-game style mechanics, personally.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

hiddenriverninja posted:

The Bast and the Furious

:golfclap:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I imagine you can turn off the damage numbers, at least I hope you can.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've been waiting literal decades for a Darkhawk game so I'm super hype.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I picked Arkham Knight back up after, oh, five years of not playing it?

There are four achievements left that were basically my white whale of game completion. I was extremely rusty but have been just playing the AR missions over and over and I'm happy to say that I've now acquired two of the four remaining achievements (beating Crime Alley AR with Batman, Robin, and Nightwing unharmed, and Flawless Freeflow Monarch Theater with Batman, Robin, Nightwing, and Catwoman).

Now I just need to get Croc to come play and beat 50 dudes in the Endless AR predator room and I'll have checked off one of my biggest gaming wins.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm genuinely shocked.

I honestly thought it was going to get middle of the road scores and be "It's...alright I guess?" in most reviews. A "great" score from IGN is surprising.

Same, reading that IGN review made me go from "probably going to be a meh card-based game" to "when's the release date again?"

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Comic book nerds aren't going anywhere and if people are still playing the original X-Com UFO Defense to this day, I don't think this game is going anywhere soon either.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

I would say get Platinum to do it but Transformers: Devastation was trash

I loved that dumb game, it was exactly what it made itself out to be and I had a lot of fun with it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I had a bit of a hard time getting into this game for whatever reason but it's now fully sunk its claws deep into me.

Last night I was thinking "this game has me foraging for mushrooms under a full moon and I love it."

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I personally can't stand Captain Marvel - requires too many card plays to be usable in any meaningful way, damage is so-so, and you have to keep her block topped up when she goes binary for her to be effective at all. Not great when a single marksman shot or supervillain shot can wipe it all out in a single hit. By far my least favorite character.

Right now my favorite to play with is Iron Man - lots of quick, knockback, area damage, and his excellent passive feeds you redraws like crazy to pump up his cards. Mark Target adding vulnerable really helps to knock out trucks/equipment/HP sponges too.

Nico is really powerful as long as you're not rolling with a deck that has cards with potential low damage output.

Ghost Rider is strong but I don't love how all his cards have drawbacks. Discarding a random card or your entire hand isn't fun especially if you can't bear to discard that hero combo or strong hero card you're saving for a specific target.

I am absolutely loving Spider-Man - he's everywhere all at once, and a ton of fun to wreak environmental havoc everywhere.

Morbius is basically a better Blade but they work really well together with their bleed-enhanced cards.

I love this drat game so much, every single turn can be played in a different way and it's so fun to strategize to maximize damage each turn.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Maybe I just haven’t unlocked her full potential or figured out the best strategy with her but Magik’s low damage output keeps me from using her often. Portals are cool but her attack card that just lets you move the enemy is just as useful to set up knockback attacks from the other heroes and do more damage at that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I am consistently impressed at the voice acting in this game. Everyone gives a really solid effort, even if the dialogue is very comic-book-y for good reason. Some of Deadpool's dialogue actually made me laugh out loud, which surprised me. The only weak bit of voice acting I've noticed so far is when female Hunter scores a KO she says something like "go back to your master" and the way she says "master" it has like a bit of a faux accent that she doesn't otherwise normally have and it's a bit off-putting.

I gave Iron Man a laboratory mod that upped his chance for cards to be critical and he's even more of a KO machine than ever. By the way, for anyone who is just getting into the game or took way longer to realize this than it should have, any attack cards in your hand that have the "attack" card symbol (crossed swords) that's on fire, that card is critical and will do more damage than the bog standard version.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think this SS game is going to be utter dreck and don't have high hopes for it. Probably like Avengers 2.0.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

We need basically him as Cap from Midnight Suns who is also Cap from the cartoon Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

I am a little disappointed that it's not the same voice actor. Cap from Midnight Suns...IS Captain America to the bone.

Looking forward to some gameplay trailers. Wonder if it's gonna be Black Panther as sneaky glass cannon and Cap as melee tank or something to that effect.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

Huh. I wonder why he deleted it.

Probably a brigade of misogynerds saying something to the effect "well in this comic from 1988 she made out with [xyz] character and also her boobs should be bigger, why aren't her boobs bigger". Jake probably deleted the thread in disgust, and rightfully so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That basically looks like a superhero Xcom reskin which - and I can't stress this enough - I am absolutely perfectly okay with. Gimme gimme.