Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

i'm on like day 70 in Midnight Suns and only just got the Venom Sample. (spoiler of fairly early story mission). I've been spending way more time doing side missions and relationship work. I feel like there's so much more to the game but going through the same loops just on missions feels so good. Just load up, see what my mission options are, do daily training with one of the people I want to take out on the mission and go. I probably wouldn't even have gotten as far as I did if it wasn't for the fact it was gating me from getting the other words of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Finished Midnight Suns tonight. Really fun, solid game, though far from flawless. The ending may as well have a big flashing light reading "WE'RE PLANNING MORE!" though idk if that will be DLC or a sequel (or both). I know they're planning character DLC, though if there's no additional story content, I don't know if I'll bother picking it up.

Good:
Story is pretty good
Combat is fun and you can customize your characters to work best
Characters all seem useful, though some are certainly moreso than others

Bad:
You don't get the full squad until really late in the game (like, final character gets picked up right before the final mission)
Voice performances were uneven, and Man Hunter was pretty grating
Dialogue was pretty bad
I agree with all of this so far. The combat is really fun and when it clicks, it's hard to put down. Also fully agree w/the voice acting. Blade and Nico were really good whereas Cap and Cap were....not. Female hunter isn't that much of a step in the better direction vs the male hunter for voice either.

quote:

A thing I thought would be fun would be if they gave certain combos of characters team names. Like if you have, say, Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Cap it displays NEW AVENGERS or something similar.
Yes, we all want a new Ultimate Alliance game. I think the only people that don't understand this is Marvel.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

thebardyspoon posted:

MUA 3 felt more like a musou game to me, very, very button mashy and the enemies that were one step up from the mooks really, really took a beating sometimes. I think I would have persevered playing it if not for the really baffling decision to not have your entire roster level up with the ones you were using, not even in the usual "they get less XP so they will be slightly underlevelled" way, they just straight up didn't get any XP at all. You got these items you could use to give characters XP but usually only a couple at a time and they didn't do quite enough so switching heroes felt awful.

I feel like MUA3 more than any of the other 2 MUA games benefitted heavily from repeat play throughs. There's a whole layer of end game cycle that really benefitted from rolling through ng+. Once you figure out that the side missions exist to farm powerups and xp items, it helps too.

I played the game for like 10 minutes when it came out and put it down because it wasn't like old MUA but picked it back up at the start of the pandemic and it really took root at that point. It's not as good as MUA1 or either XML games but it's better than MUA2 and tried some fun things. I would pick up a MUA4 in a heartbeat.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFGohawKKNE
Midnight Suns DLC announced.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I was turned off by the card system until I actually saw gameplay vids and played around with it myself. It's really the most un-card system card system I've ever played.

I also suspect it'll have some long tail success. I talk the game up to everyone I can. It owns and if you didn't get it, you should because it owns.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoXUE4TKHwc

My expectations were low but this seems to be sliding under the bar.

Noted gun users Captain Boomerang and King Shark....

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Me: I wanna play Marvel Snap!

Mom: We have Marvel Snap at home

*marvel snap at home*

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Once you understand better how Nico works, she's insanely powerful at both buffing you and debuffing your opponent and she has a number of really good "hit like a loving truck" cards to slot in.

I spend most of the game with the gal pals group of Hunter, Magik, and Nico.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Barry Convex posted:

EA Black Panther rumors from last year confirmed:

https://twitter.com/CliffhangerDevs/status/1678390228732776448

The announcement doesn't explicitly say it's open-world as was rumored last year, but it probably is given that it refers to Wakanda as a "sandbox" and that the studio was founded by vets from Monolith's Middle-Earth games. Not to be confused with the AAA WWII-set Black Panther/Captain America game that was announced last year, which is probably a more linear sort of action-adventure game in the Uncharted vein given Amy Hennig's pedigree.
Gonna end up with a nemesis system where the CIA agents get stronger if you don't kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Lotta people are starting to finally come around to Midnight Suns. I've definitely been seeing a lot of friend groups giving it a chance since it's like always on sale now. Feels a lot like X-Com in that respect.

As for the Potter game, it was always going to sell. For me tho, if I was gonna put money into Rowling's pockets, the game would have to be something exceptional, which, it seems the game is at best a "good" ubisoft style'd collectathon.