Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kind of tired of I Need A Hero. It's been cropping up way too much recently, and I don't think anything has beaten Saint's Row 4 use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i only just now realized that GotG game is still square enix. I am no longer anticipating that game

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

That looks extremely cheesy and extremely fun, potentially. Now let me romance my roommate Wolverine, and I'm 100% on board.

Basically same except Nico

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Yeah, I agree. I know it's my problem and all, but I loving hate card-based mechanics in video games, and especially when they are actually represented with cards. I was really looking forward to Midnight Suns, but I did kinda also just want Marvel XCOM.

same. I know it's just the same thing as choosing skills, but something about *loving cards* is just a big turn off.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

Genuine question: why is card-based gameplay such a turn-off for so many people? Is it the looming threat of microtransactions and pay-to-win design?

Yes, but also what Nippon said. I don't know, I think I'm just getting old and losing patience if a game isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

A Marvel RPG where I can have Magik, Doc Strange and Blade on the same team at the same time (I'm assuming you can have 4 people at the same time on your team including the new character) gently caress yeah.

Yeah cards are dumb and I hate them and I really don't care how popular they are. But it's just like games that are first person only, I don't like that so I won't play that. Unless it's some dumb superhero thing because I'm a loving sucker and will waste 60 bucks on a game I'll only play for a week before I just further confirm I do not like that genre.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

Quote it when you pre-order two days before it come out because you can't resist the pre-order bonuses.

If i was able to restrain myself from the collectors edition of forbidden west, I'll manage it for this.

One of the best things about moving to digital is that I'm no longer tempted by all the physical knickknacks that came with collectors editons.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Is there anything about PS5 being available to people at retail finally?

I finally scored mine by signing up for telegram alerts through nowinstock.net.

But for reference: Last year I was able to get two switches within a week of trying using them, it's taken me almost a year to get my PS5 and I only got it because I was lucky enough to be awake and at the computer when the stock update hit at 6:00 am and the Target was selling it as pick up only.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
New trailer for GotG. I forgot this was out this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iJUuDNaCAs

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I really like the voice actor for Gamora, gives me some Lake Bell as Poison Ivy vibes

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm in love with Lady Hellbender.

That is all.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I didn't feel that at all. Peter's extremely mobile and fun to move around, calling in the team attacks are cool, you can adjust the settings to a large degree if you think it's too fast or slow.

Seriously, all games should at least have the level of control Guardians gives you to alter your experience.

At first, I could agree that the combat was eh. But by the end of the game when I was switching elements, managing my team skills and flying arou nd blasting poo poo, that's when combat really clicked for me. Plus I didn't dislike Avengers combat, just that the builds were all going for the same thing, because the way enemies engaged you made prioritizing the invulnerability of grabs and some of the supers was the only way to actually play.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress is a muso and why do i already hate it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No, but it does sound cool, so I guess I don't hate that word, if that is what it is.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sunset Overdrive was the closest thing we got to a new Jet Set Radio game since the dreamcast.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

You know there was a direct sequel to Jet Set Radio, right?

Yeah Jet Set Radio Future, unless there was a thirds game I don't know about. Was that not on Dreamcast too?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Wish I could play it, so weird that Insomniac made a Microsoft exclusive game; we don't talk about Fuse since Overstrike looked like a much cooler game

You can get Sunset Overdrive on PC. I think it might be on gamepass, too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

Maybe I'm not being open minded enough here, but the Arkham combat system was already awkward for 1v1 confrontations, I'm not sure how it's gonna work with 2-4 people pingponging around a collection of group of goons

Unless they've changed it a lot, in which case... that is also potentially bad, because I really liked the way those games played*! It's not out of the question that they've built onto it/evolved it in a way that works better, but... skeptical.

*This is also why I am disappointed to see that Suicide Squad looks like a TPS

iT'S NOT The arkham combat system though, the preview we saw didn't have any of that flow and enemies had life bars like an MMO or even an old school beat em up.

Also, I too am an old man who dislikes multiplayer. Doing coop with friends is cool but scheduling time is just as impossible as it is for rpg poo poo.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I like how he just like... hangs on. It doesn't strap to his back and carry him, he has to hang by his arms, so he jump right into the fight with sore shoulders.

I bet tim pogos around on his staff

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah i can't wait to see how they monetize that to poo poo with microtransactions and pay to win. Card based games are such loving grifts

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm shocked at the reaction to the MM expansion, I thought it improved on the gameplay in the original and even liked it more.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm 46 and suck at video games, but I platniumed noth games including dlc on the ps4 and then did it again last year when i got the ps5 and beat them both on ultimate. Use your gadgets/venom powers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i'm already cold toward card based gameplay and this did not do anything to change that for me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheNamedSavior posted:

Why does everything hate the card game thing.

Slay The Spire had card mechanics too, did anyone complain then? Jesus Christ. All over a UI.

i didn't complain because i don't know what that game is, because I'm not interested in card games.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No, it was murdered

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I liked the Spidey stealth sections and hated how in hideouts once you took down enough enemies you were auto detected. The MJ sections where you had gadgets were fine, especially when she got a taser.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The article above says who the other characters are, did nobody read it? It's Gabe Jones and an unnamed Dora Milaje warrior.

chuds are gonna poo poo themselves, four characters and only one is white lololol

day 1 purchase no matter the quality

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Rocket's growing exasperation was a delight.

It was also an anxiety reliever for me, because I knew I wouldn't be locking off an extra area by accidently continuing down the main path. If Rocket was giving me poo poo, I was exploring the right way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yeah if I get this, I'll play Babs. If it's fun I'll play as Dick, but only if there's a real difference in play styles or it's Spider-Man levels of fun will I bother with Tim or Jason.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

If Damian or Cassandra were in it I’d consider getting the game.

Yeah that would be at least 1, maybe 2 extra play throughs

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

It's such a bad cover too

I didn't even mind the cover and appreciate a good needle drop, the new Saints Row had a few good ones, but the game play is so clunky looking.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
drat this is making me want to buy it. Ps5 folk: do you notice the frame rate issues?

Also I reinstalled Arkham asylum and wow is the combo system in that unforgiven, you can't pause at all without your combo resetting. I'm used to the qol upgrades that have happened in every game to use that style since and it's harder than I remembered.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Like players will razz it for how Batman does these triple jump-esque leaps across an entire room to hit the next guy but that's because the game is keeping you from whiffing punches. If you tell the game to punch that guy, he'll be punched, unlike most brawlers where if you misjudge the spacing your character punches air.

No, like I mean, the evade signal pops right as I knock one goon down, but the attacker is still a bit too far for the evade button to lock onto him, and in the second that I wait for him to get in range before hitting the counter, my combo drops. It's fun and I'll get the old muscle memory to come back, but I was playing spider-man and ghost of tsushima recently which are both way more forgiving in combo retention.

King of Solomon posted:

It feels like a relatively stable 30 to me. I haven't encountered any major dips in the performance, but it's definitely weird going back to a 30fps game after playing any of the myriad titles that run at 60 on the system.

Thanks, this is what I needed to know. I couldn't tell you the difference between a 30 fps clip and a 60 fps most likely, but I will notice stuttering and the like. If it's only really in the traversal and especially if Babs is fun to play as I think i'll grab this when it's on sale since God of War drops in two weeks.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 25, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
interested in hearing more about the stealth gameplay before purchasing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Beat asylum and moved to city, the qol upgrades in combat already brings things to modern arkham style combat. Even just starting up without many skills or gadgets unlocked combo dropping is way more lenient. Enemy lock on is so much better, countering won't drop the combo of the attacking enemy is too far away. It's cool how quickly they refined the formula they invented with the first game.

Did the shadows of mordor game come out before this? I know there was the captain America movie tie that used Archambault combat that was fine, but I dont remember advancing the game play formula.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the big difference between the Cap game and the other MCU tie ins is that Cap had basically double the development time with two years versus the others less than one.

You can definitely tell too. The only game that approaches it is the Wolverine game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
knights was on sale so I bought it. It's not bad, I'm playing as Babs.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Heroic Assault, the 4-player arena challenge mode thingy, comes out next week. Strange we haven't seen anything for it.

well if anyone on the ps5 want to team up when that happens, same screen name here as there.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
goddamnit i guess i'm getting this lovely game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Midnight Suns chat: Am I supposed to just let some of these hero ops expire? I feel I've only been running missions that aware intel caches because I need the currency to run these ops before they expire. I still haven't unlocked a character past spider-man and I'm level 10 now.