Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know how to feel about the Telltale Batman game. I guess my main complaint is it's yet another sort of origin story, with all the villains having their first encounters with Batman. I've seen these stories a million times already, I would've loved to play a more established Batman having a brand new adventure. And since I know how the story's going to go, I keep feeling like my choices aren't real choices. There was a point where you have to give evidence to either the press or Jim Gordon, and if I was making my own choices in a story without baggage I would've definitely gone to the press with this, but since I knew Gordon would be Batman's friend in the future, I chose him. Which is really weird and doesn't happen in other "make some choices" type games. Similarly, I'm wary of anything Harvey Dent asks me to do because I know he's gonna go crazy.

Also Batman's drones make me wonder why he isn't just Droneman, the hero who fights crime remotely.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man. So I've finally been playing the other episodes of the Telltale Batman game, and jeez. I was already dreading Joker showing up because I'm so goddamn sick of him and the overblown importance he's always given in modern Batman stories, but I didn't expect him to show up jumping over a shark while yelling "THIS PLOT IS GOING DOWN THE TUBES".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Android Blues posted:

There's no way that was Mark Hamill. Also yeah, Joker in Telltale Batman was pointless, mystifying, and garbage. A lot of the rest of the game was pretty good though.

I feel like the story really poo poo the bed about halfway through and never really recovered.

Also it's loving weird that you can prevent Harvey from becoming Two-Face buy he still becomes pretty much just as crazy and dangerous. I mean yeah, that's probably what would happen but it's really off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's only a matter of time. Harvey is gonna be Final Destination'd no matter what you do.

Having a punch-fight with Harvey Dent without the two-face aesthetic is just lame, is what I'm saying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Well, practically speaking, it's because they can't budget for enough content to actually fork the narrative and have Harvey be the player's ally in one decision path and their enemy in the other. Or, at least, they did not design the story such that they could do this. Your choice does matter in that if you don't save Harvey from getting scarred, you get to see him break down in traditional Two Face style, whereas if you do, you get to see him become a paranoid wreck whose scars are mostly mental.

I wish I knew I was even making that choice at the time. I just saved Harvey because Catwoman seemed like she'd be fine against some losers with guns. And she was, beside just the part where she's being chased down an alley, it hardly came up again.

Android Blues posted:

Also, there are a lot of other choices around Harvey that actually do branch more significantly. If you're consistently kind and understanding with him, and go to Wayne Tech instead of Wayne Manor at the end of episode 4, he tries to kill himself in the confrontation at the start of Episode 5 (and you can let him do it). If you're hostile and don't support him throughout the game, the Two Face personality is more dominant, and he tries to kill Bruce instead and has to be apprehended violently. Whether or not he's scarred actually ends up mattering less than how much you encourage him to rise above his illness.

I was super nice to him and he still tried to kill my butler. :mad:

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is it fun though? I enjoyed all the Walking Dead stuff and the Game of Thrones one.

I dunno, it lost me. I really didn't care about anything going on by the final episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One more thing I was let down by, opening a non-cursed mental health hospital was my favorite thing about the first episode, so it sucks that that gets completely abandoned by the end. Your choices are giving the money to cops or to the really corrupt and inefficient existing hospital.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Throwing money at corrupt institutions always fixes them. Just look at prisons!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, they did go out of their way not to demonise the staff at Arkham as opposed to what often gets used as the excuse. The doctor working with Bruce and the Joker seemed very professional, competent and actually smart enough to not just buy whatever bullshit she's fed.

You mean the doctor who thinks Joker is a model patient?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I'm willing to buy that the Joker is smart enough to hide his worst behaviour.

There's no evidence of Joker being smart in this game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The injustice thing was a trailer, presumably for the story. I'm at work so I didn't watch it.

Trailer reveals Darkseid and Brainiac are in. Darkseid's the preorder bonus though so he's probably not part of the story.

He could be an unplayable final boss.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Bullshit fighting game boss is basically Darkseid to a tee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ECemImLHkM&t=252s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is anyone's costume not terrible in this game?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

Neatherrealm is doing the designs, so no.

At least they had the common courtesy to provide some unlockable good costumes in the last game, like Red Son Superman and Regular Not Stupid Bane.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I liked how Injustice's Nightwing could switch from the big Tim Drake staff to the Dick Grayson kali sticks, I suppose actually putting in a separate Robin character doesn't leave much for him to do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

No it doesn't, the victim still has both their arms attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjuE2XP-xHM&t=12s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Marvel Announcement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq_V6WHSmQs

It's being done by Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider) and Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex).

Might be cool. I'm not the hugest fan of Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider series, but they're certainly competent devs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Well, Nightwing won't be in it, right? He died.

But Nightwing didn't! :pseudo:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

It's too bad Secret Wars 2015 hasn't been adapted as a game; it's basically a perfect setup for one. There's a million versions of each character, tons of locations, and has complete and utter freedom built into it.

I feel like if Marvel Heroes had been released later, It would take place on Battle World.

There's nothing stopping them from adding Battleworld in a later expansion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I keep hoping, I loved the new patches gameplay upgrades, but I'm so incredibly bored with the levels. There needs to be something new on the level of Asgard. I'm sick of running IC or MM constantly.

Welcome to every MMO ever made.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I didn't think they could do it, but they even screwed up that costume.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Does seem to undercut that story pretty hard tho.

Mmmm, depends. She had several years of peace away from Crazy-rear end Superman, maybe she just decided to pitch in for this new situation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I don't recall the splits in the first game, but I think that it was basically the Universe A people who did all the work. So after everyone goes home, Injustice Batman's a little shorthanded.

It really made the heroes of the Injustice-verse look super incompetent that the Regular-Verse guys could clean up their mess so easily.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Much like Martian Manhunter, that's not nearly enough weird shapeshifting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

I'm amazed they didn't find a way to horrifically gently caress up his design.

Yeah, I would've expected something like this:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

redbackground posted:

That supermove at the end was kind of underwhelming :/

Welcome to Injustice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still think Doomsday's super is the dumbest move in the first game and would've been way more visceral and scary if he just punched someone into a crater and we maybe got a zoom out of skyscraper windows shattering (because of reference).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

And then there were the stage transitions, which were straight-up Looney Toons.

Those were flawless and great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bane looks even worse than before. I hope his Knightfall skin is in this one too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That T-rex is so offended.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I found out that apparently most people really like the absolutely terrible version of Joker in the Telltale Batman game. I guess... everyone's stupid?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samovar posted:

...Where did you find that out?

Youtube comments with tons of upvotes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ed Boon keeps saying the Batwoman skin isn't real, which just makes me think it's definitely real, because it's Ed Boon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pre QTE Telltale strikes me as an entirely different company than the one that exists now. They had a very good sense of puzzle design and comedy. They seem really intent on going whole hog with this new choice simulator approach, whether it fits the tone of the license or not *coughJurassicParkcough*.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Point and click adventure games can't be a dying genre, they died and came back already.

It's unfortunate that whatever they were planning to do with Army of Darkness' license seems to be dead in the water nowadays. It's probably for the best since Ash isn't a great fit for a QTE choice game and would've been much more at home in something like a Sam and Max season, but still.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yes, I did, but his inclusion in that was very obviously meant to be a tease for an actual full game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The stealth's also way weaker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Oh, undeniably. The abundance of outside environments seriously hurt my enjoyment of the predator stuff. It's a bit difficult to get into vantage positions or honestly to even care to bother when I can just leap off the side of the building and climb up the other side. It's way easier. Which is the problem. They want to do stuff like 15 guys in Predator, but that's not as fun as it sounds. And as cool as the slow motion super takedown is at first, it ends up taking away what I felt was the original point of Predator. You have combat to be Super Batman and punch 30 guys into the group and then you have predator to be Guns Still Kill You Batman where you have to be smart to win. Not just persistent.

There also wasn't a single stealth section that used those beeping collars that alert surrounding goons when you take one down, and I'm pretty sure the ability to make the last few goons completely go insane with fear by doing perfect stealth is gone as well, in a game about fear.

Also, who loves floor grates? Gotham City's architects, apparently.

redbackground posted:

I was more upset at Tim x Barbara. Dicky G is right there!

As long as it's not Bruce x Barbara I'll let it slide.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Watching the last guy go completely insane and torturing him with intentionally missed batarangs is one of my favorite things :(

The best was dropping directly in front of the last guy and have him straight up drop his gun or put his hands up in terror.

SonicRulez posted:

Yeah, the fact that Arkham Asylum clearly didn't intend on sequels in continuity really screwed things up for them.

Nah, what really messed things up is that Asylum clearly takes place in an "established" universe, specifically one that was heavily based on BTAS but incorporated some comic book stuff as well, because they correctly identified that that's much more fun and conducive to a game about the inmates running the asylum than giving a bunch of villains' origins, but then City and obviously Origins decided they wanted some of that sweet sweet "first appearance of" cheddar and completely hosed things up.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 22, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Origins should have been set further in the past, because ol' Bruce goes through three Robins and a Batgirl in the course of 10 years and that's not a good look.

Origins shouldn't have been made at all because the entire premise is whacked. Bruce just happens to meet like 3/4 of his rogue's gallery for the first time in one night, and all those encounters are totally underwhelming and stupid, whereas Asylum and to a lesser extent City at least mostly relied on the idea that Bruce has met most of these guys before and had altercations with them that didn't get resolved in 20 minutes.

Also ~Enigma~

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Capcom hasn't made a fighter I gave a poo poo about since Capcom vs SNK 2 and I doubt Infinite's gonna change my mind.

At least it can't be worse than SF5.