Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wolverine is definitely eye-catching, in a way that only bright yellow and knives for claws can be but Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Captain Marvel seem more like they have better placement overall as the central core of the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If Cap's face is puffy, he should try putting some ice on it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waffleman_ posted:

Game Informer's review gave it a 7, citing some rough production and gameplay elements.

I doubt anyone was expecting a new UA to be a 10. Interested to see the goon couch co-op reviews.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Awesome!

Now I just have to read Batman comics with the Court of Owls in them and I'll be all ready to go.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

catlord posted:

You know what I'd better not loving see? Any goddamn Riddler Trophies.

Of course not!

It'll be Owl Feathers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The problems of boss fights in Arkham are that the combat is designed to be a fun and challenging system for keeping up combos against a big group and that Batman villains are not generally supposed to be boxing opponents for him.

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of games have ripped off Arkham's combat by now, and all of them did a better job at 1v1 fights than Rocksteady. It's not rocket science, you give the boss moves that interrupt your combos.

Which ones are you thinking of? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Sure, a straight boss fight against like, The Riddler or The Mad Hatter seems pointless, but even those guys could have some kind of gimmick that isn't just calling a million mooks. Batman's had so many fun fights against all kinds of enemies in the comics, it shouldn't be so hard to translate that to a video game.

Oh I don't think Batman villains can't be translated to fun boss fights, just that the combination of most of his villains and the specific Arkham combat makes for the classic videogame problem of "hey, forget all that stuff you've been doing the rest of the game cuz it's boss time so here's entirely new mechanics and rules to work with". Which the Arkham games needed to accept and embrace and go a lot further with.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If there are villainous death traps in a Batman game they should be part of the story and not fail states. Who doesn't want some same Bat-time, same Bat-channel fun?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

They should have led off with Kamala, honestly.

Marketing to Gamers? I'm not so sure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

they should make a batman kart racer

"Dibs on the Batmobile."
"Dammit!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Love that mid-race loading screen.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

No nipples

It's why he's so angry.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waffleman_ posted:

Current scuttlebutt is that it's called "Arkham Legacy" and the entire Batfamily is playable.

Alfred?
Harold?
Oracle?
Ace?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

And I'm loving done with "cosmetic only" microtransactions too. Cosmetics improve the gameplay experience, being able to modify and customize the way your character looks in a third person game is FUN and I enjoy playing dolly dress up

Definitely agree. The amount of replayability and engagement I see and experience in Spider-Man from there being costume choices is huge.

Also screw the term microtransactions. Micro relative to what, the price of the full game? Why does that matter? What other industry gets away with calling add-ons and surcharges that? Calling them micro seems to diminish what the price is relative to the value of what you're getting. (This isn't directed at you, just a general issue I have with the term).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They've at least gotta make the Batwing playable!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waffleman_ posted:

I love the Battank but now it has an extra dimension of movement

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I can't give a poo poo until there's a gameplay trailer to watch. These little tee-hee! teases of nothing are worthless.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't really get the open world appeal for Punisher. He doesn't have any interesting traversal gameplay and he's a character who's more about planned missions than roaming around finding robbers to perforate.

He works better with regular levels that can be meticulously designed and balanced for gunplay and setting traps and environmental attacks. I never played it but the PS2 game seems like it had the right idea.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I feel like a big reason why Spider-Man was allies with Watanabe was for narrative reasons. Yuri and MJ were doing a lot of the legwork to investigate and research things for Spider-Man to keep driving the plot forward so the player could focus on the action.

But Spider-Man has never been an ACAB kind of guy anyway. How many times have they tried to arrest or kill him and yet he still wants to be on the same side? He's had good relationships with individual cops for a long time, some romantic. There's an argument to be made that in adapting the character for their game they could leave that part out or do the opposite but that is the character from the comics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

in the next reboot, uncle ben gets murdered by a cop

All Cops Are Ben-Killers

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Though the game does open with the reveal that a lot of cops were on the take from Kingpin.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

I still don't know what this game *is*

It basically seems like a modern take on the old X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse game where over the course of the game you have to play as the different characters of the team but each member is tied to his or her own specific levels.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hopefully it's as good as the original.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Crowetron posted:

I wonder how far into the Suicide Squad game you'll get before Joker shows up and reveals that he's the central plot always and forever. Thirty, maybe forty minutes?

Into the game? You mean he won't be sharing equal space with Harley right on the game box?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

How did that happen? I thought he was Canadian.

If you're cheering for any NHL team you're mostly cheering for Canadians.

Why the Kings though, maybe because of Gretzky. What's interesting is that Amell is from Toronto so I wonder if back in the day he was cheering against the Leafs in that famous series that Gretzky knocked them out of their best shot at the Cup in decades (before and since).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

I better be able to play as Slipknot, the man who can climb anything.

We already did in Assassin's Creed Origins.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

No Black Knight?
No Goliath?!
NO D-MAN?!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That should be because of the Devil's Breath. The game hasn't been updated this year.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not planning on buying a new gaming console anytime soon but if did, it wouldn't be to play a new Batman game where I never got to play as loving Batman.

But is it a Batman game if Batman isn't the focus?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And why do we fall and get paralyzed, Barbara? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I remember the original Spider-Man movie tie-in game had a lot of cheat codes and unlocks. You could cheese some of them by unlocking the level select, and picking the credits sequence on the hardest difficulty so it would count you beating the game like that.

From there, you could play through the game as the Green Goblin with different controls, and the story is rewritten through dialogue so that you're Harry dealing with some impostor Goblin. It's kinda funny how much effort they put into something so few people probably ever saw. Playing as him also let you cheese the hell out of the time trials and survival portions since you were much faster and could also just fly and spam little drones.

Playing as the Goblin ruled. I feel like some missions were awkward as him though because obviously the game wasn't built for him.

ImpAtom posted:

Also I just realized the dual meaning of "Marvel's Avengers" and I am now 99% convinced Ms. Marvel was chosen as the protagonist entirely so they could do that joke.

Spider-Man was also called Marvel's Spider-Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Venom's one of those characters who you don't think of as having a fighting style except when he's in videogames. He's so much more interesting in videogames than he is in comics because he didn't tend to do much of interest in the comics with the symbiote. Carnage did.

Same with symbiote Spider-Man. The symbiote moveset you have in Spider-Man: Web of Shadows was created out of whole cloth for the game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The high points for Web of Shadows combat are the invention of Web Strike, combat mechanics for fighting on vertical surfaces, having both block and evade, and obviously two different fighting styles. I still don't like and will probably never like long and predefined combo strings, though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I do love how it was before the Chris Evans film and the game developers were like "Captain America? lol no thanks."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FilthyImp posted:

Traditional Cap with the scale armor and bright blue colors and winged helmet was a tough sell. The Avengers suit is such an enormous step down from the WW2 suit that I almost preferred him in the dumb USO Tour getup.

For a movie, I agree. Before the pieces started coming together for the film I was only cautiously excited because even the character's name was something I thought could be laughed at or be a lightning rod for criticism.

But not for a game when the action can be a lot more inventive and exaggerated or when any costume can work. Before they did their research, sure, on paper he seems lame and limited but surely they would have remembered him in Capcom's Marvel fighting games at least.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

This seems like something that should have come up 3-4 years ago when they were originally making it.

Might have been something they tolerated for PS4 but for the PS5, including the remaster and Miles' game and inevitably the Spider-Man 2 sequel, they made the change. We haven't seen Peter in Miles' game yet, only heard his voice, and this news update is likely a way to get people prepared for him to look different in that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RevKrule posted:

This is absolutely not true. It came out around Daredevil and had Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin as well as Lizard, Electro, Kraven and Silver Sable that I remember.

All inferior to Space Shuttle-Man or whatever his name was.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JordanKai posted:

Game Informer put out some new screenshots for Spider-Man: Miles Morales. One of them in particular really caught my eye:

Cool-S Daft-Punk Spider-Man. :popeye:

Funny I just posted about the same suit in the Games thread. I guess they couldn't not do a 2020 suit.

2020 Suit

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CzarChasm posted:

Those are all pretty dope, but AoA with Nova and Jane Thor and Guy I Never Remember - Was that part of the Secret Wars event from a few years back?

That's a variant cover. Not sure if Miles actually appeared in the AoA Secret Wars stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They can also do more original suits if they want more. We know from the first game and this game's T.R.A.C.K. suit they have no problem doing that.