Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

unbutthurtable posted:

lol where did you hear that

If that's not the case then I apologize for the misinformation. There was a local DCC meeting to elect something (I thought it was delegates?) and it was open to all registered Democrats. Maybe that's not true or maybe that's not what they were voting for, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Fiction posted:

Does anyone know what the process is for local parties electing delegates? I want to show up to my town DCC meeting and run for delegate but I'm not sure who actually votes on it.

It depends on your local party. At least where I live, the local party has a Central committee that makes decisions at meetings: a single elected rep for each Electoral district.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Internet Explorer posted:

If that's not the case then I apologize for the misinformation. There was a local DCC meeting to elect something (I thought it was delegates?) and it was open to all registered Democrats. Maybe that's not true or maybe that's not what they were voting for, sorry.

Yeah, maybe you have a better local group than most, but not having what you seem to have is a major sore spot for lots of people in this country right now (enfranchisement in the Democratic Party itself).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Pretty sure if you are a registered Democrat you get to vote.

This is how it works in most states yeah. Not everywhere though. Where do you live?

Get in contact with your local and state OurRevolution reps, this is literally their top priority right now

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Colorado. Like I said, I could have misunderstood. Right now I'm heavily in nailed with spinning up infrastructure for our local DSA and don't really have any additional free time, but I will definitely reach out to OurRevolution if they are involved in the local side of things.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

joined the college dems chapter that just opened on my campus. also going to the dem meeting for my county in a couple weeks. i'm even more pissed at this idiot party of morons after they went with perez and bitching on some dead comedy forum about it ain't gonna help.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

financially racist posted:

joined the college dems chapter that just opened on my campus. also going to the dem meeting for my county in a couple weeks. i'm even more pissed at this idiot party of morons after they went with perez and bitching on some dead comedy forum about it ain't gonna help.

Our party marginalizes those with a history of antisemitic associations and continued expressions of antisemitic intent. Perhaps if Ellison wished to win, he shouldn't have been pal'n around with the nation of islam while opposing iron dome.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

plenty of places only let you vote if you've been a dues paying member of the party for a while (sometimes a month), this is to discourage both republicans and progressives from influencing the party

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

LinYutang posted:

plenty of places only let you vote if you've been a dues paying member of the party for a while (sometimes a month), this is to discourage both republicans and progressives from influencing the party

Massachussets lets you register at the door and it costs nothing. You can also register online before you go or drop off the paper at town hall and get a receipt to show.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Fiction posted:

Does anyone know what the process is for local parties electing delegates? I want to show up to my town DCC meeting and run for delegate but I'm not sure who actually votes on it.

But yeah gonna repeat what I said previously, get in contact with your local OurRevolution people and tell them you're interested. They should at least be able to point you in the right direction of what to do. Try to bring as many friends with you as you can, and start getting to know people you can convince to back you up.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I just got back from my first Democratic Party event in my corner of Kansas City (lol). I live in Johnson County, which was the only part of the state that had increased Democratic turn out in this election compared to 2012. There were a good number of people there (70) but only about a table full of people who were between 25-35. It was a great meeting and everyone talked about how terrible Hillary Clinton was for ignoring the rust belt since almost everyone there was originally from a one street light town which has been completely ignored by our party for generations.

I also said that I would like to be a Precinct Committeeman and that will likely go unopposed since there are openings throughout the county for them. I also have low self esteem and don't mind losing elections, so I think going forward I'll be running for offices which are otherwise uncontested in favor of the republican incumbent.

So, thanks thread! Regardless of if I get the committeeman position I am happy to be the point of contact in the OP for Johnson County, KS.

ayyy what up, JoCo? I grew up there, nearish to Garmin

I have some friends from high school getting newly involved in the JoCo Democrats, and I like what they're doing. I did a crazy why-not run for Olathe's uncontested state house seat in 2004 and managed to raise, I can't remember, like $240, and go into a couple interviews unprepped and without much help wrt messaging. I can see why they maybe weren't putting everything behind the 21 year old who technically lives in Lawrence but only for a few months at the time and would totally move back if elected- but my immediate contacts were only a few years older than me and it seemed very much to be even less guided and serious than Youth in Government was. They're either making strides, or that's just easier to see now that I'm older? idk

I saw a JCDP flyer and I like that they're using the logo of a boxing donkey doing the Mike Tyson defense- it's like- at the same moment both 'lol liberals' and 'hey thats a good metaphor for wearing those right-wing fuckers down'- beautiful

Anyway- I'm in Lawrence, and am contacting Douglas County Dems this week to see how I can get involved. I think it's bonkers that Lynn Jenkins is stepping down as KS-2nd District Rep and the Democrats aren't kicking off campaigns already- like not full on tire you out traditional TV ad crap, but the seeds of a narrative that gets people excited about the process, because holy poo poo- I haven't even heard about any establishment names thinking about running for it, let along dark horse lefties. So yeah, I want to talk to my local Dems and see what's being done about that, and what I can do to get the message out there. Like- even in a losing fight, there's an energy in shouting that yes, there are liberal-left people in the GOP-enthralled shitholes of the country, and there's a wonderful opportunity to 'use narrative-driven politics without being disingenuous, portraying the middle-American Democratic Party as underdogs. Projecting and publicizing a cheerful tenacity to keep fighting despite loss pulls a lot more people in imo than completely ignoring uncontested, if small-time, seats.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

My Imaginary GF posted:

Our party marginalizes those with a history of antisemitic associations and continued expressions of antisemitic intent. Perhaps if Ellison wished to win, he shouldn't have been pal'n around with the nation of islam while opposing iron dome.

:wth: i can't deal with this hot take

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

My Imaginary GF posted:

rofl

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

people who hate ellison really don't know or care about his moderation on israel/palestine to be the international status quo. that DNC smear campaign certainly did what it was intended to do

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Scent of Worf posted:

:wth: i can't deal with this hot take

these days I think MIGF is the ghost of Ariel Sharon trapped inside a 56k modem

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

get that OUT of my face posted:

people who hate ellison really don't know or care about his moderation on israel/palestine to be the international status quo. that DNC smear campaign certainly did what it was intended to do

Does this thread have to turn into yet another "boo DNC establishment!" whine-fest?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jurgan posted:

Does this thread have to turn into yet another "boo DNC establishment!" whine-fest?

considering how utterly incompetent and just plain stupid the dnc establishment is, sure

i have to imagine most of us are now participating in local politics precisely for this reason, in fact

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah, and there's already a thread to talk about it. This thread is for positive action only - no whining! (Unless it's about your local DTC our County commissioners pissing you off personally). Complaining about complaining is also unacceptable.

The fact that you guys are responding to someone who was both banned AND probated for their post should probably be a sign to talk about something else.

Take the discussion here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797403
if you really want to continue it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Peanut Butler posted:

these days I think MIGF is the ghost of Ariel Sharon trapped inside a 56k modem

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The Mass Democratic party is apparently having a problem pulling in younger members to their machine. If you know anyonr intrrested in getting involved they are simply auto approving anyone who wants to join in the Youth category - no caucus election necessary.

If you or anyone you know has the opportunity, get on this poo poo now. Spread the word.

quote:

Still feeling the Bern? Here’s a grassroots opportunity to move the Mass Democratic Party to the left. If you’re under 35 or will be 18 by Sept 2018, you can apply to be an Add-On delegate in the Youth category to the state convention on June 3 in Lowell, regardless of the caucus date in your town.
The deal: you must register as a Democrat in Massachusetts if you haven’t already done so.
This year’s convention is all about issues and platform. It’s a big opportunity to let the centrists know that we need to be more aggressive for climate change and for getting big money out of politics. The more progressives who serve as delegates, the better. There will be training in advance of the convention by Our Revolution Massachusetts (ORMA).
Please PM me if you think you might want to do this, and I’ll send you more information and the application form, which is due April 4th.

Note: any adult can run to be an elected delegate at their town's caucus. Complete list here: 

http://massdems.org/caucuses/2017-caucuses

Here's the application form:
http://massdems.org/files/2017-Add-On-Form.pdf

And here's the form to waive the fee (we suggest this especially for students who are perennially broke):
http://massdems.org/files/Fee-Waiver.pdf

Send the completed scanned add-on form for Youth  directly to the new Mass Democratic Party Executive Director, Veronica Martinezveronica@massdems.org  . The deadline is 5:00pm on April 4th.

Note: there are also Add-On categories for racial minority and handicapped.  They use the same form as the Youth.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Keep this good thread good or you're gonna get a paddlin

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Promise? :bigtran:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Promise? :bigtran:

Not the good kind of paddlin', but the bad kind of paddlin'.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Got the caucus this Saturday!

And an organizing event for the progressive slate Friday night, set up by yours truly.

Here's the current draft of the speech I plan on giving - feedback appreciated! I'm debating whether to cut or intentionally go over time :v:

quote:

Hey everyone. Glad to see you all here today. I'm ---, and I'm here today because the Democratic party needs me - and not just me, but the other fighters standing up here on this stage, and people like you. We need a party that's willing to fight for what's right, that won't give an inch to people like Trump - but that's not enough. We need to go further. We need to build a vision for the future, one where ever person in this country gets to share in it's prosperity, where every one of us gets to feel in control of our own lives. I'm sick of empty platitudes and cautious incrementalism - look where it's gotten us! Republicans controlling every branch of the federal government, most of the states, a Republican governor right here in the solid blue state of Massachussets. I look at all the real changes, big and small, progressives have made over the last decade - things like marijuana legalization, gay marriage - and I ask myself: Why isn't this change coming from the party that's supposed to represent us? Where are the politicians? Why is this stuff getting accomplished through the courts and referendums? And look at our Democratic house speaker, Robert DeLeo, fighting not against the conservatives that threaten us we're their fascist garbage, but working with our Republican Governor against the legalization referendum that we the people overwhelmingly supported? Why do the Democrats keep losing? Because they stand for nothing, and we let them get away with it! No more.

I'm going to do everything I can to change that, to set this party on the right path, and I believe that working together we absolutely can. This is not the time for cautious centrism or focus group triangulation. This is the time for bold, ambitious vision - for telling our politicians to grow a spine or get out of our way. I don't want more people covered by health insurance - screw that! I want goddamn universal healthcare - with reasonable copays! - so no one in this country has to worry about whether tomorrow is the day they have to choose between paying their rent or taking their son to the emergency room! I don't want to fight off an expansion of the charter school system every election cycle - I want to see it abolished, and that money spent building some incredible magnet schools that not only give our children the best educational opportunities but help the fight against racial segregation - something, I might add, that has been steadily getting worse right here in our state despite Democratic control! I won't just tepidly support a woman's right to choose, I want a family planning clinic in every town, easily accessible and no questions asked! I want 30 hour work weeks; I want a living wage that automatically keeps up with inflation based on those thiry hours; I want to see us experimenting with guaranteed income to make sure *no one* in this state is left behind while our prosperity is hoarded by a handful of wealthy parasites with vacation homes in Martha's Vineyard! I know it's gonna be a lot of work, but I want to make sure we all know what we're aiming for, that this party has something to aspire to. I want to see the Republicans being the ones playing defense, fending off our constant attempts to make this country better, and I want to see us fight every single day to make it happen no matter what obstacles stand in our way.

And if you want that, too, then --- is your guy. Thank you.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

If you read that off in the same hyped-up, energetic, almost breathless at points, voice that I just did in my head, I think it'll go over well. If you read it in some deadpan robotic voice or seem nervous, probably not so well.

Good luck!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
less cory more dean

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GlyphGryph posted:

Got the caucus this Saturday!

And an organizing event for the progressive slate Friday night, set up by yours truly.

Here's the current draft of the speech I plan on giving - feedback appreciated! I'm debating whether to cut or intentionally go over time :v:

The Maroon Hawk posted:

If you read it in some deadpan robotic voice or seem nervous, probably not so well.

Hey everyone. Glad to see you all here today. I'm Tina Belcher, and I'm here today because the Democratic party needs me - and not just me, but the other fighters standing up here on this stage, and people like you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That loving killed me. Thank you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I cant stop laughing, how am I actually supposed to read this now when that will be all I can think about.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Here's an interesting look at what Indivisible is doing in Alabama

https://twitter.com/MikeElk/status/842431415904002050

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Read my speech, ended up having to cut more than half out to leave room for applause.

Slate made a full sleep, we got every single candidate into a primary slot except one - the person who beat them was an even more ardent leftist, and the loser still filled an alternate slot.

So pretty good result, imo. Had a few people ask if I was planning on running for an actual office and telling me I should when I responded I wasn't (yet, anyway)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GlyphGryph posted:

Read my speech, ended up having to cut more than half out to leave room for applause.

That's awesome! Speaking is so much easier with an excited crowd.

I hate speaking to a group where people are just looking at me. They're not necessarily disapproving or anything, just quietly listening.

Good job!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

GlyphGryph posted:

Slate made a full sleep, we got every single candidate into a primary slot except one - the person who beat them was an even more ardent leftist, and the loser still filled an alternate slot.

So pretty good result, imo. Had a few people ask if I was planning on running for an actual office and telling me I should when I responded I wasn't (yet, anyway)

Pro Tip: Don't let the power go to your head until you have a lot of it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Went to my first DSA meeting. I was expecting five people in a booth, it was like 20 taking up most of a coffee shop! Woo!

Edit:

Maybe this belongs more in one of the other threads. I'm just excited about the opportunity to help empower some left leaning people, and maybe get them into the Democratic party to start pulling to the Left.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FINALLY an update:

i am officially a candidate for chair of the democratic party of claiborne county, tennessee.

the election is this saturday at the old courthouse. i've started wrangling the friends of mine who haven't moved to knoxville to come.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i am officially a candidate for chair of the democratic party of claiborne county, tennessee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjUmULa0R-8

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Have you made an OurRevolution event for it yet

do you want me too

I can also start hitting up my contacts and see if they know who can help and share the speech i wrote if you need one, it was really well received locally and would be easy to modify

hop on chat and get on the propaganda channel yo

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

Have you made an OurRevolution event for it yet

do you want me too

I can also start hitting up my contacts and see if they know who can help and share the speech i wrote if you need one, it was really well received locally and would be easy to modify

hop on chat and get on the propaganda channel yo

1) where when how?

2) OHGODYE-- i mean, sure, if you want.

3)i will welcome all the help i can get -- i wrote a two-minute speech (which was originally a letter to the current chair of the party, because that's what i had to do to start a campaign, such as it is). light on details, well, the kind of details you'd expect in a short speech, but i really wanted to send a message that i'm a dude with piss and vinegar in his veins who wants to get fires lit under asses and stop letting re-elections go uncontested.

4) i'm usually in general chat but mostly in the screaming chamber (for obvious reasons). but, yes, i will swing on by.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

1) where when how?

2) OHGODYE-- i mean, sure, if you want.

3)i will welcome all the help i can get -- i wrote a two-minute speech (which was originally a letter to the current chair of the party, because that's what i had to do to start a campaign, such as it is). light on details, well, the kind of details you'd expect in a short speech, but i really wanted to send a message that i'm a dude with piss and vinegar in his veins who wants to get fires lit under asses and stop letting re-elections go uncontested.

4) i'm usually in general chat but mostly in the screaming chamber (for obvious reasons). but, yes, i will swing on by.

Also send me an email at glyphgryph@gmail.com and I will hook you up with all the OurRevolution stuff and get things moving as fast as I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

County Convention this weekend. Got precinct vice chair a couple weeks back, now to go for state delegate. Gonna own.

• Locked thread