Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Sylink posted:

Would be cool to go to this if you are in Ohio.

Thank you for posting this, literally hours of scouring the Internet for Ohio DNC meetings, and the only thing I could find was a worthless survey.

I did find by chance that the Montgomery County, OH chapter is having a holiday party tomorrow night, so there is that. No information on what seats are vacant or what's going on otherwise.

I also found a Progressive Caucus in the area, but the meeting got moved from this weekend until the last weekend of next month, which is troubling.

BurntCornMuffin has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Zberan Madowinty posted:

I think it's important that we paint the entire republican party as cheerleaders for a failed administration.

Equally important is for us to additionally provide compelling solutions in contrast, and also be seen not as a faceless government party that only climbs out of its hermitage every four years, but as concerned neighbors who are involved our communities, and easily reached. Community outreach should be a big part of the local strategy.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Trip report from Montgomery County, OH's dem holiday party/meeting:

Party membership is behind a minimum $25 paywall, which is necessary to become eligible to be nominated to the Central Committee, or to be elected to a Central Committee position during a Reorganization (the next one is during the 2018 primary). The Central Committee consists of 360 seats, one for each voting precinct, and is responsible for all policy decisions of the Party. Getting on this committee should be the primary goal of anyone wishing to change the direction of things here, as this is where the power lies. It seems that this party has very tenuous ties with the state level party as organizations (little more than the name and maybe some funding), meaning that making inroads to the state party and the local party need to be conducted as seperate independent efforts: one does not necessarily lead to the other.

There are several interest groups and regional/ethnic/age-based groups within the party, they seem to serve the purpose of fundraising and networking, but that's about it.

As far as the party attitude goes, it definitely feels like it has been a largely establishment "good ol boys/gals" club type of thing, but is now shook enough to at least be receptive to new membership, and is looking for more outreach options. Since the website loving sucks, I'm dumping all future meeting dates here:

Montgomery County Democratic Party
HQ is at 313 S Jefferson St, Dayton OH

Meetings for 2017: Jan 26, Feb 23, Apr 27, June 22, Sept 28
7:30pm

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, in hindsight it was as stupid an idea (for this thread) as I thought it would be. Better to keep a careful focus on Participation here. If anyone is still interested, feel free to start another thread policy discussion, but probably better to stick to "what do I need to do" and "things I have done" specifically here.

Any policy discussion done here should be in the form of "I'm going to bring this up at my next meeting and would like feedback" rather than the thread itself generating discussion topics just for the hell of it.

Perhaps to facilitate this while maintaining the participatory theme of the thread, we kick off a slack or discord or something for our goon caucus to coordinate?

Besides, fun and encouraging as it is to plot the overthrow of the bourgeoisie with you all in here, if we're to achieve the critical mass necessary to move the Democratic party and do so as a coordinated group, we will be needing to outgrow this thread in the dark recesses of a dead gay comedy forum.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Grondoth posted:

I feel like I'm fuckin' up, but I haven't seen anything I can get involved with until like the 23rd of january out here in wny. There's a $500 per person dinner tonight, but I don't have 500 bucks to spend on that

I'm really heartened to see all these elections changing things, though. These local parties all need to be better!

Sounds like a good time to "reform" your dem party. Grab some friends, hold open meetings, register candidates, primary bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Fiction posted:

Does anyone know what the process is for local parties electing delegates? I want to show up to my town DCC meeting and run for delegate but I'm not sure who actually votes on it.

It depends on your local party. At least where I live, the local party has a Central committee that makes decisions at meetings: a single elected rep for each Electoral district.

• Locked thread