Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
What is DFA exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Interesting. I am hoping to upgrade from activist to politician in the near future, so candidate training seems like a good thing...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
First up: That new Church I joined? Turned out my DTC chair is a member. So thats interesting. Also the church is holding an ACLU fundraiser this Friday.

Secondly, more importantly:

I feel it is absolutely imperative that every last one of you read Lakoff. "Dont Think of an Elephant" is a good start. It is absolutely one hundred percent the thing I think is most important for people to do at this point.

It identifies our real, fundamental, underlying problems and what we must do to fix them. It goes in depth as to why we are losing, and why we are going to keep losing - and what we can do to stop it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

blue squares posted:

I haven't read it, but based on reviews and the book description it doesn't sound that vital to me. Democrats don't need to win arguments with Republicans; most people already agree with democrats in general. Dems just have to focus on real people and turnout. Read things about organizing and getting people to the polls, not about winning an argument with a mythical swing voter

Its a book about organizing, messaging and long term overall strategy and planning. It is not in the slightest way a book about arguing with Republicans, though it does include advice about how to avoid accidentally boosting their ideas

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The point of the book has nothing to do with BLM being a bad or less than optimal phrase, if anything it would claim it has to do with a total lack of institutional support in regards to expanding and building upon it and paving the ground for it and he specifically calls out the sort of stuff being said about how BLM needed a better slogan as dumb and in fact would probably be congratulating BLM on laying some damned effective groundwork (which the Democratic party immediately squandered and undermined)

Seriously worth reading.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Feb 20, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Regardless, this conversation should be moved to the dem thread. This isnt the thread for it, and it really should have ended at the book recommendation stage.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 03:55 on Feb 20, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I will be doing live readings of excerpts from the book as part of our new audio story time experience in the DPP discord linked in the OP.

Please joing us tomorrow night at 8:15pm EST and listen in! There will be discussion afterwards.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
drat caught me before my edit.
EST.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Move this conversation to the Dem thread if you want to keep having it please

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
For those who missed it:

We read until
FRAMING 101: HOW TO TAKE BACK PUBLIC DISCOURSE, page27

Recording is here: glyphgryph.com/RainbowReadingNight1LakoffElephant.m4a

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
That recording is absolute garbage btw, apparently. Don't know what I hosed up. If anyone has any skill with sound recording, please - I clearly, desperate, need help.

It sounded fine in Discord!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
My local DTC is starting to grate on my. There is no sense of urgency or immediacy at all. Our web presence is a joke, the caucus is next week, and they pushed back dealing with fixing it because "its just a couple weeks, its not an urgent problem" aaargh!

Every day counts drat you

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

blue squares posted:

Some motherfucker beat me to becoming precinct chair!

Blue squares would have won

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Few updates!

8:15 tomorrow (Thursday Night) night, Lakoff's Don't Think of an Elephant Part 2! I'll be reading it in the discord channel, discussion will be in "reading and philosophy" and the "reading-rainbow" voice channel will have the reading itself.

Other than that just personal update stuff. I don't know how much I've really been accomplishing politically, but man this has been great for my social life. Getting invited to political events, social events, church events, and even found someone on my street that invites a good chunk of the neighbourhood leftist community over for spaghetti dinner every wednesday night. There were more people there than at the DTC meeting! Starting to run into familiar faces across situations too, so that's interesting.

Despite the logistical hurdles of having a toddler, kids really are great at breaking the ice in social terms. I'm still hellishly bad at remembering who anyone else is, but at least now everyone is remember me, you know?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Just a reminder - now more than ever it's important to get involved, stay active, and take over.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Grondoth posted:

Erie county hasn't had a free event since their whole room they moved to cause there was too many people who came got filled to the brim and everyone was standing and they ran out of signup sheets for chairpeople/voter outreach. It's all been 50 bux+ fundraisers yeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

Hold some free events of your own.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Internet Explorer posted:

Pretty sure if you are a registered Democrat you get to vote.

This is how it works in most states yeah. Not everywhere though. Where do you live?

Get in contact with your local and state OurRevolution reps, this is literally their top priority right now

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

LinYutang posted:

plenty of places only let you vote if you've been a dues paying member of the party for a while (sometimes a month), this is to discourage both republicans and progressives from influencing the party

Massachussets lets you register at the door and it costs nothing. You can also register online before you go or drop off the paper at town hall and get a receipt to show.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Fiction posted:

Does anyone know what the process is for local parties electing delegates? I want to show up to my town DCC meeting and run for delegate but I'm not sure who actually votes on it.

But yeah gonna repeat what I said previously, get in contact with your local OurRevolution people and tell them you're interested. They should at least be able to point you in the right direction of what to do. Try to bring as many friends with you as you can, and start getting to know people you can convince to back you up.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah, and there's already a thread to talk about it. This thread is for positive action only - no whining! (Unless it's about your local DTC our County commissioners pissing you off personally). Complaining about complaining is also unacceptable.

The fact that you guys are responding to someone who was both banned AND probated for their post should probably be a sign to talk about something else.

Take the discussion here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797403
if you really want to continue it

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The Mass Democratic party is apparently having a problem pulling in younger members to their machine. If you know anyonr intrrested in getting involved they are simply auto approving anyone who wants to join in the Youth category - no caucus election necessary.

If you or anyone you know has the opportunity, get on this poo poo now. Spread the word.

quote:

Still feeling the Bern? Here’s a grassroots opportunity to move the Mass Democratic Party to the left. If you’re under 35 or will be 18 by Sept 2018, you can apply to be an Add-On delegate in the Youth category to the state convention on June 3 in Lowell, regardless of the caucus date in your town.
The deal: you must register as a Democrat in Massachusetts if you haven’t already done so.
This year’s convention is all about issues and platform. It’s a big opportunity to let the centrists know that we need to be more aggressive for climate change and for getting big money out of politics. The more progressives who serve as delegates, the better. There will be training in advance of the convention by Our Revolution Massachusetts (ORMA).
Please PM me if you think you might want to do this, and I’ll send you more information and the application form, which is due April 4th.

Note: any adult can run to be an elected delegate at their town's caucus. Complete list here: 

http://massdems.org/caucuses/2017-caucuses

Here's the application form:
http://massdems.org/files/2017-Add-On-Form.pdf

And here's the form to waive the fee (we suggest this especially for students who are perennially broke):
http://massdems.org/files/Fee-Waiver.pdf

Send the completed scanned add-on form for Youth  directly to the new Mass Democratic Party Executive Director, Veronica Martinezveronica@massdems.org  . The deadline is 5:00pm on April 4th.

Note: there are also Add-On categories for racial minority and handicapped.  They use the same form as the Youth.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Got the caucus this Saturday!

And an organizing event for the progressive slate Friday night, set up by yours truly.

Here's the current draft of the speech I plan on giving - feedback appreciated! I'm debating whether to cut or intentionally go over time :v:

quote:

Hey everyone. Glad to see you all here today. I'm ---, and I'm here today because the Democratic party needs me - and not just me, but the other fighters standing up here on this stage, and people like you. We need a party that's willing to fight for what's right, that won't give an inch to people like Trump - but that's not enough. We need to go further. We need to build a vision for the future, one where ever person in this country gets to share in it's prosperity, where every one of us gets to feel in control of our own lives. I'm sick of empty platitudes and cautious incrementalism - look where it's gotten us! Republicans controlling every branch of the federal government, most of the states, a Republican governor right here in the solid blue state of Massachussets. I look at all the real changes, big and small, progressives have made over the last decade - things like marijuana legalization, gay marriage - and I ask myself: Why isn't this change coming from the party that's supposed to represent us? Where are the politicians? Why is this stuff getting accomplished through the courts and referendums? And look at our Democratic house speaker, Robert DeLeo, fighting not against the conservatives that threaten us we're their fascist garbage, but working with our Republican Governor against the legalization referendum that we the people overwhelmingly supported? Why do the Democrats keep losing? Because they stand for nothing, and we let them get away with it! No more.

I'm going to do everything I can to change that, to set this party on the right path, and I believe that working together we absolutely can. This is not the time for cautious centrism or focus group triangulation. This is the time for bold, ambitious vision - for telling our politicians to grow a spine or get out of our way. I don't want more people covered by health insurance - screw that! I want goddamn universal healthcare - with reasonable copays! - so no one in this country has to worry about whether tomorrow is the day they have to choose between paying their rent or taking their son to the emergency room! I don't want to fight off an expansion of the charter school system every election cycle - I want to see it abolished, and that money spent building some incredible magnet schools that not only give our children the best educational opportunities but help the fight against racial segregation - something, I might add, that has been steadily getting worse right here in our state despite Democratic control! I won't just tepidly support a woman's right to choose, I want a family planning clinic in every town, easily accessible and no questions asked! I want 30 hour work weeks; I want a living wage that automatically keeps up with inflation based on those thiry hours; I want to see us experimenting with guaranteed income to make sure *no one* in this state is left behind while our prosperity is hoarded by a handful of wealthy parasites with vacation homes in Martha's Vineyard! I know it's gonna be a lot of work, but I want to make sure we all know what we're aiming for, that this party has something to aspire to. I want to see the Republicans being the ones playing defense, fending off our constant attempts to make this country better, and I want to see us fight every single day to make it happen no matter what obstacles stand in our way.

And if you want that, too, then --- is your guy. Thank you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I cant stop laughing, how am I actually supposed to read this now when that will be all I can think about.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Read my speech, ended up having to cut more than half out to leave room for applause.

Slate made a full sleep, we got every single candidate into a primary slot except one - the person who beat them was an even more ardent leftist, and the loser still filled an alternate slot.

So pretty good result, imo. Had a few people ask if I was planning on running for an actual office and telling me I should when I responded I wasn't (yet, anyway)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Have you made an OurRevolution event for it yet

do you want me too

I can also start hitting up my contacts and see if they know who can help and share the speech i wrote if you need one, it was really well received locally and would be easy to modify

hop on chat and get on the propaganda channel yo

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

1) where when how?

2) OHGODYE-- i mean, sure, if you want.

3)i will welcome all the help i can get -- i wrote a two-minute speech (which was originally a letter to the current chair of the party, because that's what i had to do to start a campaign, such as it is). light on details, well, the kind of details you'd expect in a short speech, but i really wanted to send a message that i'm a dude with piss and vinegar in his veins who wants to get fires lit under asses and stop letting re-elections go uncontested.

4) i'm usually in general chat but mostly in the screaming chamber (for obvious reasons). but, yes, i will swing on by.

Also send me an email at glyphgryph@gmail.com and I will hook you up with all the OurRevolution stuff and get things moving as fast as I can

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Attention Massachussets residents!

I am part of a group that's working on proposing and pushing changes to the Massachussets Democratic Party Charter. If anyone is interested in jumping on board with this, get on the discord and join the Mass channel!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yep! Gonna go to a local livestream party and use it as an opportunity to mingle too.

But man oh man, state party update:
The state party is the state committee. Of it's 418 members, only 160 are elected. Over 100 are "permanent" members that cannot be removed in any way and are guaranteed seats, and that number is supposed to increase by a lot this year.

Of those 160, only 80 are actually elected during the normal election process. And when is the normal election process? During the end of the presidential primary season (which they've encoded in state law), where the party can always argue that it's important not to change things too drastically, on an organizational level, immediately before a presidential election.

I get the feeling these folks aren't very open to the idea of changing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Went to a local OurRevolution State of the Revolution livestream viewing party tonight.

It was pretty great, got me excited to keep going. Been dealing with a lot of negativity lately, both from inside and out, so it was great to take a break and focus on some pure positive messaging

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
What did you accompliah by sweeping it exactly? We are looking for ideas haha

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Not a Step posted:

To anyone in Boston, wards 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 19, there is apparently a meeting of Greater Boston Young Democrats tonight at 5:30 at 10 Putnam Street, Roxbury to talk about the Democratic platform. I will be there, but I will not be identifying myself in any way so please don't dox me, TIA.

Can you do me a favour? Let them know one of the delegates/ORMA folks is working on charter amendments and would appreciate anyone interested in helping out. They can contact me at glyphgryph@gmail.com

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Too late now I guess, but for future reference I need people willing to:

1) Help review the laws and documentation to search for possible conflicts and other amendment opportunities if it look like we might want to do more than one.
2) Actually pin down the exact wording. Right now it's very rough.
3) And the big labour intensive party - we're going to need people to go out and collect signatures from delegates and try to muster up support

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Status report on MA:

poo poo guys, this poo poo is pretty bad. It also looks like we arrived just in time. It's absolutely crazy what's been going on. The state party has spent the last decade and a half changing the rules every single year to lock things down and make it harder for progressives to succeed.

This convention is going to be a huge fight, and I'm incredibly afraid it's one we're going to lose, because this is basically the last chance we have to keep the party even remotely democratic. Holy hell. I wish I could share some of this documentation with you guys but it's all very hush hush - of course, if you're in a non-public channel with me then that changes.

But arrrgh.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I actually organized a meeting tonight.

I had the heads of progressive groups from across the state attend MY meeting that I put together and hosted.

Man I'm all abuzz right now. It feels like despite all the poo poo we've got to overcome that I am really, genuinely part of the solution.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Attention:

The war to regain democratic control of the Mass State Democratic Party has begun.

We have less than one month to do a whole lot of loving poo poo. I'll be organizing through the discord. If you have time to send emails, make phone calls, or help in anyway, get your rear end on there and let's get this poo poo done.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lemming posted:

Kimberly Ellis lost, throw every Democrat into the dumpster

At least you guys get to vote, its purely a party process here. Also official elected members are outnumbered by permanent members and other non democratic assholrs 3 or 4 to 1 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Crowsbeak posted:

Wow, The left in Mass might as well just form their own party.

I doesn't matter because our actual politicians completely ignore the "party" anyway. Our Speaker of the House will only really work with the Republicans despite having a D by his name.

MA is a lot less blue than you're think, it's just that most of our Republicans call themselves Democrats.

• Locked thread