Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

More Konosuba should be good.

The Colonel posted:

don't expect too much from akiba's trip, the localization was a pretty big part of why undead & undressed was so good and those people only do video games

As far as I can tell it's also not based off either game, but rather is something new. So not only are you not getting the localization changes, there's no nostalgia factor either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There are plenty of really strange picks, so I'm not sure why people are really giving much thought to it. For an example, even aside from the overabundance of Kabaneri among the categories in general, they have Mumei up for both Best Girl and Best Hero. I'm sorry, CR, but did we watch the same show? The one where Mumei spent plenty of time sulking, loving up and/or obeying Mr. Evil Pink Hair? I'm pretty sure you could have found a better pick for both those slots fairly easily.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

dogsicle posted:

any particular reasons?
first episode had a really nice aesthetic and i really like masamune as a character so far. aki will probably get better so my only worry is how well side characters are put to use.

Partly it comes down to taste, but I'm generally agreeing with what everyone else said. Watched the first episode and then skimmed the manga, and it's incredibly likely the mangaka is going to end it with Aki being the chosen girl. Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, except it honestly feels like the MC syncs better with multiple other characters, rather than her, as the story is written.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

dogsicle posted:

ah, that harem problem. i don't watch them really at all to gauge my likely reaction, other than Toradora did the same to me and i still enjoyed it greatly. so i'll carry the show's torch, for now.

Eh, some do it better than others. Readers are not necessarily always going to gravitate towards the lead girl as the character they enjoy most, so it's the author's job to make the winning girl be the most convincing ending for the MC, regardless of whom the reader would personally prefer. Toradora is one where it does it well. Another would be Ai Yori Aoshi, where one might prefer one of the other girls but, as far as Kaoru is concerned, Aoi is clearly the one. Masamune-kun is one where I don't think it was done particularly well, with me feeling Aki is probably going to win mainly because she's the female lead, rather the author making a strong case for it.

Still, the anime may do a better job at presenting it, or even just not get all the way through and leave an open ending. Or you might feel the storyline does present that relationship well even if faithfully adapted. Hard to tell from just one episode in, and there are plenty of enjoyable scenes regardless. Not trying to discourage watching, just trying to break down my thoughts on this.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

"Gee, I wonder what the twist for Fuuka is people are talking about, better go look it up." A few minutes later... :psyduck:

But yes, the female lead is the daughter of the two main characters from Suzuka. She apparently makes a small appearance in Kimi no Iru Machi as well, which may be why someone was thinking of that. And if it does end up being only a single cour, that twist sure is in an awkward spot, because it's right around where single cour shows tend to cut off.

edit: I actually read Suzuka years ago, but never touched this one. Not sure yet if I'll watch it, but I hadn't previously realized the connection. And yeah, Kouji Seo's works certainly do tend to have some, hmm, "interesting" directions they go.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 6, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Someone hasn't seen Higurashi.

But, Higurashi DID have aliens. Or are you doubting Rena? She has a solution for that. A rather pointed one.

On a serious note, I think the issue is that it's only the two characters so far that have the really SD faces, and it rather bothered me too upon looking it over. Okay, multiple things are bothering me about the show in general, but in terms of the animation that is really jarring. Generally I feel it should either be all the characters or none, though exceptions exist.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Isn't that completely ruining the entire premise?

Nope.

There's a second Fuuka. The manga's gone on for well over a 100 chapters since the trucking too (which happened in the very early 30s), so she was always intended as the actual headliner one apparently.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

I had already read the spoiler, in fact that's what got my kinda curious about the show.

Here's the bit that I find kinda interesting:
The Fuuka that we know is apparently the daughter of the main characters from the mangaka's previous popular work, right? So dude writes this happy ending, and then just decides to utterly ruin their lives 15 years later by killing their only child.

I would love to know what prompted him to make that decision.

Close.

Specifically, she was their first child, and still the only one they had in their brief appearance in Kimi, but in the time since they've had another. Still traumatizing, but it's actually Suzuka who snaps the new lead out of blaming herself for the death (she's the daughter of the truck driver), because it really was Fuuka's fault for not paying attention to the crosswalk signs. They're not exactly major players and don't appear a lot, and it certainly would have hurt a lot, but he apparently went the route of them being able to get past that - to some extent at least.

At least supposedly one of the reasons the anime changed it is because he regrets the choice. I haven't really looked for a definitive source though, so that might just be hearsay. Another rumor I've heard is that it was changed because that spoiler was percolating through the net even before the show aired, and thus he wanted it changed just because. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Fangz posted:

I expect this is due to the tide of opinion turning on Sword Art Online which is the poster child of the genre and what most of these are imitating.

What turn of the tide of opinion about SAO? It's been getting people talking poo poo about it for years, I've seen no real change recently. The irony of a huge chunk of the bitching of course being SAO is rather low tier in regards to MC power levels of those types of works. If the tide is turning, it's just due to the market having been oversaturated for too long, not due to people magically having a change of opinion over something that came out years ago.

And honestly, I'd take a random isekai in a heartbeat over the OreImo crowd of LNs, which seem to be another big group at the moment.

• Locked thread