Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I stopped watching Kiznaiver after the scene on the beach and felt like that was a perfect ending to the show - it left the conspiracy stuff unresolved, but whatever, it felt good and I didn't want to move on from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Erased....wasn't good?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ah, that's fair! I agree - I need to sit and finish watching it, and it was good, but there was a lot of really, really good anime this year.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I just can't get over the faces in Youjo Senki. They look like alien ducks, terrible knock-offs of the Hellsing-style crazy faces. :psyduck:

Who thought they were a good idea?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Someone hasn't seen Higurashi.

Higurashi went full bore with its alien designs - so did CLANNAD and all of those related works. For some reason it wasn't as jarring?

But instead here we get the weird kid voice with that jarring design and it's just...really, really creepy? Especially at the end where it flips between blond duck face to serious "normal" looking anime dude, and then to bug-eyed alien - and I mean, that final shot of her evil grin was fine, but the rest of it....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Maybe you're sensitive?

Very likely! I'll put the show itself on the back burner for a while, see if I can't marathon Flip Flappers instead. Here's to hoping it turns out to be actually good, designs aside, so I can enjoy it later. :cheers:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

chumbler posted:

Is maidragon today?

Nope.

quote:

Jan 12, 2017
A mythical everyday life comedy about a hard working office lady living with a dragon girl.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does this mean Haikyuu is getting a fourth season?

As I heard, the manga doesn't have enough material for another season yet. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm very, very biased due to enjoying the manga, but Maid Dragon is exactly the kind of light and fluffy I needed today. :3:

It sticks to the pacing of the manga, so I don't know how well the gags translate for a viewer who's never read it before, but for me? Gosh. Gosh gosh gosh. I'll forgive the annoying boob bounce sound effects if only because the rest of the show tickles my fancy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I really, really liked Scum's Wish. Messed up, mature melodrama with interesting framing - it put in the manga frames, which worked with its style? - and I'm honestly eager to see where it goes. I don't think this kind of show can have a happy ending, but I'll hold out hope that everyone survives to adulthood without destroying their emotional ties to each other.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sat down and checked out Gabriel and Handshakers, and Gabriel looks generic as hell, but it works with the Disgaea-style sense of humor. I'm in for another episode.

Hand Shakers, meanwhile, was ugly as sin but also visually interesting, if that makes sense? It was bright and had weird textures and just was interesting - but the writing was so god drat terrible I couldn't keep watching. At least Divine Gate was so bad it was funny!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

devtesla posted:

There was a Sakuga blog link last page that explains what the gently caress is going on here, if you're curious.

I am curious, thank you!

....Is K similarly weird to look at? Should I go find an episode to watch?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I recall getting physically sick trying to watch the first episode of K because of those rainbow post-processing gradients.

Excellent. I'm in the mood for bad anime tonight, so I'll check it out, thanks! :getin:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Made a thread for Maid Dragon.

I apologize if the OP is lacking in any way!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dogsicle posted:

both OPs must now fight to the death

No no no, we must find a way to settle this that's appropriate to the tone of the show!

I propose: maid knowledge. I've brought my copies of Emma, and I'm willing to win! :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fangz posted:

There's only one newer book out and it's a bad place to have an ending.

The author did go write a viking detective novel though and I'd love to see that.

Holy cow that sounds like the best setting for a mystery.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Where do I pay to get Kyoani to adapt this? :shepspends:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm watching two shows this season, Maid Dragon and Scum's Wish, and they're both really good in different ways. I'm really, really pleased. :allears:

(I've put the rest of my shortlist - ACCA, Chaos;Child - on the backburner for when they're done and I've seen other impressions.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

The I'm not watching a show anymore because I'm not enjoying it meme?

It's better than the "I'm not enjoying this but I watched it all anyways" meme.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kuzu no Honkai keeps managing to be the most genuine show I've seen in a while while also managing to be the most perfectly melodramatic one.

I like it, and I hope it maintains this level of quality.

e: Catching up on ep 4 now and gosh darnit, is no one in this show in a healthy relationship?

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 3, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Healthy relationships aren't really the point of it

Oh, I know, I'm just. No one is safe from the drama.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying it, just, ahaha, wasn't expecting that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

I checked Scum's Wish and man, what a hard show to watch. Does it get at least a bit better in terms of suffering as it goes on? Does anyone get their poo poo together?

I haven't read the manga, but the minute the teacher turned out to be absolute scum, well. No. At this point I hope everyone simply survives to the finale, whatever it turns out to be.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

I had no internet for the first month of this season and want to catch up. Aside from Little Witch Academia (which I love already) what shows are worth checking out now that they've had 4-5 episodes?

Maid Dragon is the sweetest show airing.

Kuzu no Honkai is messed up, and like watching a car crash in slow motion, but with teenagers making bad decisions about their love lives.

(I'm planning to marathon ACCA when it's all out, as I haven't been in the mood for it lately.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I was under the impression that anime was already saved, years ago.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

So...is there any context where the recap for Chaos;Head makes any sense? I feel like I understand even less about the setting than I did when I started watching, and I'm concerned that Chaos;Child is going to be more of the same.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AnoHito posted:

The context is "reading the chaos;head VN." Which you should probably do if you're going to watch chaos;child. As someone who read chaos;head, the recap made perfect sense to me.

Fair enough, thank you!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Don't be mean

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

i haven't actually watched it but i'm sort of curious after reading just an absolutely brutal review and seeing it consistently voted as the shittiest show of the season

my actual suggestions are LWA and Saga of Tanya the Evil. both are great.

I've seen the first episode and okay, the visuals are interesting (if bad) so I'd be happy to keep watching it as my trash show of the season, except...

The writing is the most generic, bland thing I've ever seen complete with the main character having no personality other than "i'm an earnest shounen character!" and the white-haired heroine having no personality at all. Then the first villain kept getting his chained up lady partner aroused and it was just thoroughly unlikable.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ulio posted:

I haven't followed this season so what are some of the better shows?

No sequels because I haven't seen any of the shows which are getting sequels except Yowapeda and no harem/moe shows because I've seen too many of those shows. Only if they are really unique I will watch those type of shows. Thanks.

Anyways to rec you stuff, I have been loving Kuzu no Honkai as the best messed up melodrama I've seen - no one in it is a good person, it's beautifully made, and there's something oddly genuine about the first few episodes. Teenagers are bad at romance, and it isn't humorous at all.

If you're even mildly interested, check it out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dogsicle posted:

did it stop doing the dumb manga panel cut-ins at any point?

A) No, no it didn't

B) They're really cool and you don't see that kind of thing in anime normally! It's a good style choice!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That looks cute enough for me to check out, though! Thanks!

(I've been watching Iron Leaguer tonight because robot anime, and...it's surprisingly sad for a kid's show? I was not expecting the first episode to end in torture.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wish the thought of yuri wasn't essentially the sole reason to push me over the edge to give Scum's Wish a show but whatever. Excellent show so far! I love melodrama! And Fuuka isn't delivering.

Unrequited yuri, alas, but it hasn't been demonized so far, so there's that! (I haven't seen the latest ep yet, so if things change, welp.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To be blunt Hand Shakers is prettier than Kemono Friends.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dogsicle posted:

I've become completely desensitized to Kemono Friends' bad animation, probably because the character designs are great. Bad cg is not as big a sin to me as Hand Shakers' horrible designs on top of excessive post-processing.

Personal taste at play: I like the post-processing and absolutely bizarre camera angles Hand Shakers uses, which makes it maddening that it's wasted on those boring designs and generic plot. Meanwhile, Kemono Friends has adorable designs and a cute story, but I get really bothered by how terrible it looks. If the two could have swapped studios....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Okay so I've seen every episode and I'm not entirely sure if I'm watching the same show.

The only character who for sure is acting scummy is the teacher since she seems like a psychopath who can only get her rocks off emotionally tormenting people.

Every other character just strikes me as emotionally confused teenagers acting out to various degrees of self destructive behaviour but I have a hard time thinking of any of them as objectively horrible.

Hanabi in particular just strikes me as someone who is just confused and stuck in an existentialist crisis and has no idea how to deal with it other than shagging the first person she sees that vaguely acknowledges her value as a person.

Like I dunno, they all seem relatable in stupid teenager ways.

This is exactly why I love the show. It feels genuine, what with the teenagers acting like dumb, melodramatic teenagers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/835965413661925376

How do we get them a better animator

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

kater posted:

Someone tried to do a season recap a few pages back and it didn't go anywhere, so let me try:

Everything is good.

Even Chaos;Child? (Please say yes, I want to watch this when it's done.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My turn!

Maid Dragon: What everyone else said. It's charming, funny, and genuinely sweet. Probably my favorite this season - at least of the shows I'm watching week by week!
Kuzu no Honkai/Scum's Wish: Teenagers are bad at emotions, and this show makes for a delightful watch as they're just...bad at being mature about things. Plus the evil teacher. I'm enjoying it for the melodrama, and I do hope everyone comes out alive and able to heal.

There's other stuff I want to watch when it's all over - Rakugo, ACCA, Tanya the Evil, etc - but those are the only two I'm making time to watch as they air.

I also tried Gabriel Dropout and Interviews with Monster Girls, but both shows left me cold. :shobon:

Last mention: Yowamushi Pedals: I'm coming for you, season three. Busy with watching the first season now thanks to my friend egging me on, and it's really sweet! Not Haikyuu level, but the character development is charming and I'm having a good time with it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Gundam IBO S2 is a solid war/political intrigue story. I dunno if die hard Gundam fans hate it or whatever but as someone who has bounced hard off of most Gundam shows over the years I think it's pretty good.

I am thrilled to hear it's still good - I enjoyed the first twelve eps of IBO and then wandered off, with plans to marathon all of it when it's done, so I've been avoiding its threads to avoid spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ulio posted:

I normally wait for the season to be over and watch whatever people recommend or has good reviews.

I am only watching Handshakers so far. I like it a lot and wished more people gave this gem a chance.

....What do you like about it?

• Locked thread