Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't understand, are you saying that you have a counteroffer from epic for MORE than the Apple offer INCLUDING bonus and RSUs? Or are you trying to make a cost of living argument? Yes you should negotiate but they probably aren't going to budge much on salary, they know how much it takes for their employees to pay rent and that's already factored in. And they can't print more dollar bills to pay you, but they can print more stock, which you just sell as soon as it vests, it's basically free money and you absolutely can pay your rent with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

an average apartment that allows dogs

this is the type of thing i'm talking about regarding housing btw... the supply side absolutely dominates the relationship, so the more constraints you have the more hosed you are. i love dogs and would own a dog if i lived anywhere else, but i live on the peninsula. here in redwood city it's possible, but i used to live in palo alto, and do you want to know how many landlords in palo alto and adjacent menlo park allow dogs? the answer is zero. you can definitely find a place that will allow dogs, you're just gonna have to give up another constraint like "close to work" or "less than 3 thousand american dollars per month"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yeah but what are the chances those rooms are rented as legit subleases written by a lawyer and okayed by the landlord, vs airbnb

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dalris Othaine posted:

i am a nerdgoon who'll have a CS degree in a year or two, I went back for my Bachelor's after the existential horror of interviews/contract work. is there any advice that the masses of :yosbutt: can provide?

that depends. is your bs cs from a top 50 school?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yeah that all makes sense but don't be surprised if his response is "well how about an extra 40k in RSUs then" because that's what they usually like giving out, not more base. best of luck on increasing the figgies though

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i still don't understand the pay cut thing, are you saying it's a pay cut because your take-home for the first year will be lower since your RSUs haven't vested yet? if so then yes that's the idea, they do it so you have to stay for a while to get your total comp. but once you have those RSUs then your pay like doubles. or are you saying that even in 4 years with everything fully vested you will be taking home less money than you are now at epic? because that'd be a really lovely lowball

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Progressive JPEG posted:

single family home in the la honda area for under 600k

and how much is the earthquake insurance?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
wow that's a lot less than i thought it would be for the area, nice

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
don't post your figgies. that's rough to hear about the loss, although i agree that you should still take the job because the value of apple on your resume is so high, and there are lots of companies out here that pay higher, if you don't like it there. changing jobs once you're settled here will be easy. plus you might get promoted, or have more stock grants given to you during the job. i'm curious, do you think the difference is mainly because you are paid very well at epic? or because your housing cost in wisconsin is so low compared to the bay area? or is apple hiring you under a more junior title?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
If you don't put your gpa on your resume I'm never going to ask you what it was, but if you put it on the resume and it's below a 3.5 I will actively hold that against you

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

this fuckin recruiter man. emailed this morning to say he would call at 2. then emailed an hour later to say he would call at 4. now it's 4:20 and not a peep. no respect for my time. it's like this every time he needs to contact me.

that's not this recruiter, that's all recruiters

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

PierreTheMime posted:

I just did this and the recruiter was super-helpful and actually went to the mat to get me the rate I asked when the client pushed back. it's a 6mo contract-to-hire and it's basically just a buffer for the corp to not accidentally hire an idiot/liability and drop bad gets with little effort. I'm in a pretty specific field so typically when a recruiter cold calls me they mean business

Contract to hire is ok when you really need a job and you don't have much experience, but for someone who's already employed full time it's an insult, especially in a specific field where THEY called YOU. If they mean business then I'd expect the offer to reflect that

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I'm always weirded out when people say only use one page for a resume but then remember because i did stupid science i have a CV so it has to list my patents and publications. i started a new job a few months ago out of grad school and hate it because its not what i was expecting so i''m already interviewing for new jobs and the wait is awful. it takes forever for large companies to do anything.

a CV is not even useful in academia. people do it because it's what you're Supposed To Do, but anyone who actually wants to look at your whole history of publications will go to your website. when you're applying for a job they just skim through the list looking for prestigious journals or conferences, count up those papers, and ignore everything else. all parties would be better off with a 1-2 page resume that highlights the most important accomplishments, just like industry

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if you send a cover letter, i'll read it. if i like the cut of your jib, it's definitely a bonus, because communication is a very important part of the job, and it gives you an opportunity to explain through prose what may not be evident simply from your resume. if you don't send a cover letter, i won't mind, and i'll just read your resume. but if you send a cover letter and it's bad, i will definitely hold that against you

your application is you bragging about yourself, trying to present your work history in the most positive light. absence of information is not a negative: if you're just starting your career, then of course i don't expect a lot. but if you write stuff and it sucks, then that means you suck, and worse still, you don't even know you suck, or you would have left that poo poo off

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

JawnV6 posted:

yah the opposite is "encapsulation"

:laugh:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

JawnV6 posted:

whoa, pretty big accusation there, would you care to highlight a specific example and save someone from a career-limiting mistake?

don't ask stymie to quote his own posts

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shaman Linavi posted:

Hey, are you still interested in this position which pays $xx,xxx?

nope

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

about to sign for a 3500/mo house without ever touring the dang thing because no corporate housing will take my pit bull. rip my lifestyle.

~welcome to the bay, enjoy your stay~

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

leper khan posted:

I've seen people get through a whiteboard gauntlet who can't write code and seen people fail who singlehandedly implemented software lots of people use everyday.

The recommendation from people giving the interviews is to take two weeks off work to practice doing interviews and study things you do not and possibly never will use day to day. If the interviews were testing something directly applicable to day to day work, this would not be necessary.

The worst part is half the time you get someone who wasn't trained how to interview looking for their preferred solution to their pet problem. Any deviation from the code they wrote for it ends up burning 10 minutes because they stop you from continuing to tell you you're wrong until you ignore them and finish your implementation. Upon which they begrudgingly admit that you were right.

Tech interviewing is a cargo cult and tech interviewers are garbage.

IAWTP

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
like an interview for basically any other kind of job?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
hi there, nice to meet you! let me tell you a bit about our company and the details of the position we're interviewing you for. it involves a lot of x. you're here because i see on your resume that you have lots of experience with x! can you explain your contributions to this most recent project on your resume? how did you handle the problems y and z that often occur when working with x? what was the team structure like at your previous jobs, and how do you feel about it? at this company we mostly do things this way and use these tools, is that something you'd be interested in? great, when can you start?

the problem with interviews at places like google is that there is no x. you aren't being hired to do a specific job, you're just going into a pool, because they are hiring poo poo tons of you. oh and you're probably a fresh grad with no experience on your resume other than your stanford classes so my technique above doesn't really work. there's a reason google does things the way they do it... but that method doesn't and shouldn't apply to basically any other company out there. people just do it because the valley culture promotes this 10x programmer notion so they think they have to Hire The Best, but they don't know how do to that, so they just imitate google because it's google

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

qhat posted:

This... is exactly what a lot of programming jobs ask?

sure, i've had interviews like this, such as the ones for the company i'm working at now. i've also had interviews that consisted of an all-day gauntlet, with one person after the other coming into the room and presenting a new shiteboard problem. no discussion of resume or experience or anything, just straight to toy problem live-"coding". and the gateway to this onsite fun time was... you guessed it, more toy problems, but over the phone/internet. no details about the specific position or chat with the hiring manager because neither exist

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

ive changed my mind. the worst part about getting a new job is having to show my house. you absolutely can't have children in the house while they show it so i have to spend 5 hours tomorrow just loving driving around with my children doing ??? cuz i have nowhere to take them.

fixed that for you about 80% of american families selling their house

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
also hopefully that makes your post sound as silly to you as it sounds to me?

you live (temporarily) in wisconsin. it is loving june, one of 3 months where it is nice outside in wisconsin. take your fucken dag to the fucken dag park, jesus

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
hey y'all someone is about to give me a p deece six figgies for this house so i can book it the gently caress out of the midwest asap, and he has the nerve to ask for a pitbull-free tour with the realtor? totally unreasonable, am i right folks?

you've joined the privileged class, so get used to people talking to you like this

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
back on topic: lack of knowledge or dislike of recursion is an immediate disqualification for me. sorry, we're done, NEXT

if you haven't encountered recursion, then you need to go hit the books. if you have, and you don't like it, that's universally because you have only encountered it in scenarios where the iterative alternative is often more obvious and natural. all this talk about tail recursion only emphasizes the point. true recursion is not a simple loop (though with inarguably better form), it is the necessary and proper method of processing an inherently recursive data structure. if you've ever worked with a json or xml file, that's a simple example of what i'm talking about. or programmed anything in a higher level language than assembly (cf parse trees as referenced by another poster above)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
what makes it real obvious and intentional is that to process your X, you must first process the X contained within it

note for enterprise oop programmers: it doesn't have to be f calling f to qualify as recursion. if you have f call g which calls h which calls j which calls f... that counts too motherfucker

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yeah no doubt, but that's partly because haskell (and other ML-inspired languages) makes it obvious that your recursive data structure is in fact recursive. typical oop langs like java essentially treat all methods as potentially mutually recursive, so there is often recursion happening all over the place but you don't notice because each recursive call is separated by 8 layers of indirection plus a DI container

JewKiller 3000 posted:

note for enterprise oop programmers: it doesn't have to be f calling f to qualify as recursion. if you have f call g which calls h which calls j which calls f... that counts too motherfucker

JewKiller 3000 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 20, 2017

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
what if i value an understanding of c semantics but i don't program in c regularly enough to remember all the proper typedef nonsense and i sure as gently caress don't want to either? and it's not relevant to my job in any way whatsoever? what then smart guy???

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
basically, yeah. most architectures implement "int" as "machine word" which means you can't rely on a specific size for int cross-platform

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
ascii only uses 7 bits so i hope you like signed char

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
astound got bought out and it's called wave now and apparently it sucks way more

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

qhat posted:

It sucks: python

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
recruiters are The loving Worst

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
SaaS my PaaS with your IaaS, then smoke GraaS

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the skills list is where you write down every utility you've ever used once and can remember the name of, don't you know?

then you wonder why you keep failing interviews

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MononcQc posted:

surface stuff with a stylus is p. nice

yo that's pretty g drat impressive i must say. it even recognizes your properly crossed z! and your hosed up psis!

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

so... do people actually like it here or do they just come for the jobs?

a bit of both. the bay area has a lot to offer. if you like the outdoors, there are tons of beautiful open spaces and national parks. mountains, beaches, desert, whatever environment you want is at most a couple hours drive. lots of different cultures means the food is great, and there's a huge restaurant scene, you can go to a new one every single day if you want. if you prefer sports or artistic performances, sf has everything you want, plus there's oakland and san jose too. weather is nearly always great, you can grow anything in your garden. if you like to talk about tech stuff and meet other interesting people in the industry, just go to any bar and talk to someone, chances are they work in tech.

the problem is the cost of living. there are lots of cool places in the bay area but you aren't living in one of those for any reasonable amount of money. instead you're somewhere like suburban cupertino or the sunnyvale hellscape. a house starts at a million dollars and daycare costs are hosed so don't think about trying to raise a family or anything human and normal like that. so to some extent, people come here to work, then leave when their priorities change.

other people are actually FROM here, so because of prop 13 they live in their family's house that their grandparents bought for $50k after ww2. the house is now worth $1.5 million but property tax is still assessed at $50k. life is just fine here for the landowning class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the south bay is a garbage stripmall because the residents want it to be that way. there's plenty of opportunity for denser development, but the people who live there and control the local governments won't allow it. they want the place just like it was in 1960, and they want to keep their multi-million dollar housing values. basically, hosed by boomers again

• Locked thread