Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I've got to prepare a detailed self evaluation for a promotion opportunity and it is way more frustrating than any other work I actually do

Maybe I should practice my vanity somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Rex-Goliath posted:

I never considered this before but is this an h1b strategy? Make the offers so horrendous that no one in their right mind even applies so they can just shrug their shoulders all 'WELP GUESS THERE'S NO ONE AVAILABLE!!'
I would be 100% ok with H1B reform that got rid of this weird incentive.

Just make H1B rights an auction market and you can get rid of all the rules about "trying to find Americans first". As a nice side effect, pay goes up too.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

big scary monsters posted:

nah i was kidding. my master's supervisor was legitimately a full prof at 30, but she's also incredibly driven and one of the most frighteningly smart people i've ever met.
She's also from the previous generation where the ratio of competitors:positions was completely different. This is an enormous advantage you shouldn't discount.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

jre posted:

Ah yes, make your interviewers miss their lunch or stay late. This will definitely ingratiate you to them.
Shouldn't the company interviewing you have a flexible lunch window?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Management posted:

the goog is known for hiring first and "finding a place for you" later. this is pretty good if you're fresh out of college with little practical experience. if you're an experienced professional with an interest in something particular this can be maddening to deal with.
I suppose this is one way to hire for non-public projects. Or to compensate for a really long recruiting timeline, since by the time you start who knows what headcount will be where.

quote:

speaking of which I have a call with them later today because my normal google recruiter left so I will have to start the conversation over again.
Good luck!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

personally i will never interview with el goog ever again

i applied to google 3 months before starting my main job search, knowing they take for loving ever. they still didn't field an offer until i had already talked to every other firm i was interested in, solicited offers, accepted, and worked the new job for another month. great job guys.
I did something similar but I told them I was actively interviewing and getting offers and everything sped up a lot faster.

Like it was late September I decided I needed a job again, started Google process (and Hired.com the same week). Next week I ended up in Hired.com "auction" while doing Google phone interviews, following 2 weeks I was doing on-site hired.com interviews (and Google one). Started getting startup offers from the Hired.com leads, told the Google recruiter the best of them, and then got a Google offer by the second to last week of October.

It might have helped that I was interviewing for SRE which is super hard to staff, so maybe the recruiter was a little more tenacious.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Sniep posted:

like, what roles tho?

i could buy that for amazon if they counted truck loaders and poo poo in with corp employees, but, what roles in google are there where you hire people with low or new skillsets and burn them?
Recruiters, maybe.

I suspect that a lot of the attrition from google is partially because the day you get hired you start getting 10 times the recruiter spam from people who want to poach google employees. I've heard stories of people with Google offers getting automatic matching offers from other companies without even interviewing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

In general you want to "bet against" your own company since you're already betting your career there and that's way too many eggs in one basket.

Most companies prohibit employees from shorting their own stock, though, but you can at least sell your RSUs as soon as you're allowed. Similarly, avoid stock purchase plans unless they give you a pretty significant discount, and again sell them as soon as you're allowed.

It's also a good idea to long-term hedge against the industry you're in. That's a bit harder though - you probably can't short mutual funds covering your industry since they likely include your own company.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ADINSX posted:

This is what keeps me from even bothering to apply, despite my fiance working there and some of our friends. I'd only wanna work on very specific projects on their cloud or maps team, but even within those groups there are plenty of really boring projects.

It doesn't strike me as a place where someone can come in start making interesting and creative decisions. Maybe that's for the best, but its something I really enjoy about smaller companies, once you've proven yourself you can really have a say in the direction of the company's technology even if you only have maybe 2-5 years of experience.
If you want to work on "Google scale" things, there are probably only a handful of companies where you can do that. That's a whole class of interesting problems that you won't find in smaller companies.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

lancemantis posted:

if you cared about computer touching at all, the most important discipline in the world, you would know this, otherwise you're just a faker that doesn't deserve to be in this country
I had to look up what exactly "balance a binary tree" meant because I never took CS 101.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I know a few googlers who came from Facebook and they think Google is less culty so there's that.

Pay and working conditions are comparable.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

PierreTheMime posted:

on a scale of good to holy gently caress why, what's the consensus on moving to/living in the san fransisco area? i know id probably have to live way the hell outside the city to get any kind of decent housing for the family, but im coming from living in central florida so that seems like a fair trade

its contract-to-hire work, but a decent wage and im already a contractor so its not a huge hit to my employment reliability. my current place is likely never going to unfreeze internal hiring anyway

so basically, SF yes/no?
Yes, the move is reasonable at a higher salary. Note that you probably want to live closer to work than you think.

It's somewhat easy to get used to a smaller house, but your commute never gets better. So pay the extortionate local housing rental prices (family-sized homes are actually relatively discounted compared with 1/2 bedrooms).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

you can always put more clothes on

don't you try and control me

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

When I interviewed to be a teacher for Kaplan test prep I had to teach them a random thing I thought was interesting. I chose how to count votes using ranked voting schemes.

But that at least made sense, since I was interviewing as a teacher to get a job as a teacher.

How legit a presentation / teaching interview is probably depends on how seriously the company considers presentations/teaching as part of your job description. It's probably not as important in practice as whoever designed the recruiting process would like it to be.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

lancemantis posted:

Thanks for reminding me that the technical interview has spawned a whole branch of industry that will further serve to entrench it; more SAT prep yay!
on that note I'm pretty sure my time spent as an SAT prep teacher prepared me very well for doing whiteboard interviews

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

echinopsis posted:

k so that job I was into fell over and that's fine

but it's clear I need to move industries in a way. pharmacy is ok but dying and while I wanna keep my finger in the pie, I think IT in general is where I wanna move into. obv a role combing hte two would be ideal but reagrdless, willing to start at bottom so looking at tech support stuff which maybe someone willing to get me in on thre ground floor.

but there are boatlods of online courses from MIT and etc.. not all free.. are these worthwhile? would they make my cv any good at all? or am I just wasting my time. I mean I,m interested in general as it stands but you know what I mean right?
You could learn to program and then write a program and then point to that program as evidence that you can write programs

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pharmacists and software devs make very similar salaries in NZ
You could always emigrate to the promised land

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

qirex posted:

like I pretty much know I have been somehow deemed "non-googley" but I still get dozens of recruiter hits for google jobs that have been open for more than a year
I'm pretty sure almost all Google jobs are open all the time because they hire generally then place people later.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Progressive JPEG posted:

they didnt just complain, they figured out whose car it was, and then who their manager was

THEN they complained
Were I the manager I"d have found the complainer's manager and told them this ridiculous story. Even if the complainer is a VP, that kinda culture doesn't fly at any sane company.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

FamDav posted:

real talk, I'd find it very hard to live in the bay and commute like an hour each way to a campus when I can live in Seattle and walk 20 minutes to work. at least they have the private busses, I guess.
Coworker is transferring from bay area to seattle office, can confirm

Her future apartment is half the price and a twenty minute walk to the office entirely on a river trail. Or she could canoe I guess.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Shaggar posted:

cars are useful transportation and bicycles are not. the problem is that even if you were to design slow "roads" for bicycles now you're in the same range as pedestrians. since pedestrians outnumber bicycles they would get priority on any such mixed use paths. and in most cases you don't really have a lot of room for all of this so the priority would go to paths and roadways pedestrians and cars.
They're called "trails" and pedestrians walk on them. Somehow the cyclists figure out a way to go around the people.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ocrassus posted:

Lol so work has been bugging me to get a work Twitter account and handle for a while now (@myname+companyname). This is supposedly to 'increase client access' or something. Anybody else experience something like this?
What sort of role do you have?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Elysiume posted:

I've done interviews at 8:30am which I was mad about, but fuckin lol at doing an interview at 8pm
I abuse flextime to its fullest and often saunter into the office around 1:30 or 2:00, so interviewing at 8pm would be pretty reasonable if I were giving it.

In fact I think there's even special demand for those willing to give interviews on weekends or weird times since good people with real jobs can't necessarily take normal daytime slots easily.

In this case though the recruiter heavily implied that the reason the engineers couldn't interview from 8am to 8pm was because they were "busy with deadlines" which strongly implies a persistent toxic death march culture and project mismanagement.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

protip you can imply to recruiters that you are considering jobs in their new york office as a megatrump card when they pressure you for salary history

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Our bizarre promotion process has the following features

1) I apply for promotion with a self eval and peer feedback
2) A committee decides on it
3) They give that decision to my manager, who can choose whether or not to appeal it
4) Two weeks pass while my manager is not allowed to tell me what the current status is
5) Once possible appeals are done then I hear the final news

This basically forces us into this awkward situation where I have to communicate that, should I happen to need an appeal, here are some things that I think happen to support my case that weren't in my initial self assessment, but maybe I don't need an appeal...

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Progressive JPEG posted:

just work somewhere else for a year then come back
This is a much simpler path to promotion.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

why is it nonsensical for an entry level position to require a bachelor's in a relevant field

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

it's more that they don't have an "or equivalent experience" addendum.

that and they're asking for specific degrees (physics?!?) for a cj gig. i mean a degree in leisure studies is just as applicable really.
I don't got no formal CS education nor any of those degrees. They missing out on my skills.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

lancemantis posted:

Being a sysadmin isn't a joke job and can be serious business; being a SRE or working in big money data center environments is work
SRE owns

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Iverron posted:

"What makes you unique?"
the projects I've worked on and products I've delivered.
Not seeing the problem here. Answer the way you want to.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Got promoted today. Job search deferred.

Need to wait a week to hear the official comp change amount but from looking at our internal pay sharing spreadsheet I can expect ~25k more in salary, a similar amount in bonus, and a similar amount in additional yearly RSU grants.

:toot:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

congrats, is that the l5 and time to coast forever promotion?

meanwhile my boss has known the answer for 2 days and not told me and now its the weekend so.......
No it's the "wait you weren't L4 already?" promotion.

Came in at the same level we give new college grads. If I didn't get promoted this time there was a danger my intern would return and make more money than me when his signing bonus gets counted.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

cis autodrag posted:

can someone remind me what the best job listing sites are for devs? i wanna do another round of resumes this week.
I had good luck throwing myself into hired.com's auction thingy.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Work wants to send me on a 3 day reward trip to Costa Rica and I don't want to go cause my girlfriend can't get time off and even if she could I'd have to pay her way.

Whoever propagates this idea that cash rewards are inferior to visceral experiences can gently caress right off.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Diva Cupcake posted:

short of figgies being like double, moving from nyc to south bay area would be loving stupid, yes?
south bay is comparable to new york, only a modest figgie diff justifies the change

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

When I'm ready to retire I'm going to take a job at one of those "unlimited vacation" companies, have a good first performance review, and then go on a permanent vacation until I get fired or they change the policy.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

FMguru posted:

lol thats so obviously "the guy we hired flamed out or left for a better offer or quit because the position sucked so bad so um who else was in that pile of resumes we sifted through"
"We'll keep your resume on file."

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

summarize plz

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I got a "midwestern tastes" friend to try the Japanese place I wanted to go to by explaining that tonkatsu is just like shnitzel.

I wasn't wrong.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ADINSX posted:

Nothing I've heard about working at Google sounds appealing; it sounds like most teams work on boring corporate bullshit except instead of doing it with relatively normal people, you do it with the sort of people that can pass those interviews (dorks)
I'll take dorks over startup brogrammers any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

DuckConference posted:

are normal humans one of my choices?
Worry not, in time you will perceive everything around you as normal.

• Locked thread