Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
people love them xor tricks; I had someone tell me about puzzles involving counting the occurrences of an item in a list with xors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh I think I would want a Real Engineers office to be a serious environment

in fact in general I think i would prefer an evironment that takes itself somewhat seriously, minus dress codes because I can't be bothered with that anymore

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I also enjoy having an office :ohdear:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

lol, company had me do an online exam (which I aced), then a phone screen, and now they want me to do a phone interview (shared code viewer) before the in person interview. with most companies I would tell them to gently caress themselves, but this is one where I can't really do that. ugh.

~loving tech~

certainly at some point they will catch you for the obvious fraud you are :rolleyes:

*requires candidates to go through approximately 12+ hours of interviewing, utilizing department employees as interviewers, including multiple panel interviews*

interviewing people is so expensive, we need more barriers to optimize the cost!

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 6, 2017

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The XKCD Larper posted:

How the gently caress do you get security cleranace in DC

you do a bunch of paperwork that you shove off to a black hole at OPM and then sit in the cooler doing whatever work you can until things finally come through

if youre a really boring sonofabitch with not a lot of foreign friends/family or lived in some foreign place in the past and you've never held a clearance before, it will be like 4-6 months, otherwise all bets are off

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

redleader posted:

and then all your pii gets stolen in one of the largest breaches in history

yeah :smith:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my previous company had job titles with some semblance of ordinality

their magic trick was having different titles within those ranks worded in a way that you wouldn't think much about the differences between them, and their job duties might be pretty much indistinguishable, but they linked to different compensation plans

like one guy might be a senior application developer when another person on the same project was a senior systems engineer and another was a senior project engineer and they would all be performing about the same duties but have completely different compensation plans

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

We do this sometimes, mostly just for PhDs though where they have to give a seminar on their research, and for some other types of jobs as well where someone might be expected to present as part of their job duties.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

lol I just got a duplicate contract job post from a different agency than the first one that told me about it and the rate they're offing is thirty five dollars an hour lower than the first company that told me about it

I think you mean $35/hr better for that agency :whatup:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
do we really have such a glut of petite bourgeois chads that recruiting is all they have?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Yep, no one doing anything on a Friday. Don't take it personal.

I spent the day firing off resumes. Now I'm gonna head home, drink a beer, and run through InterviewCake. The saga continues. See you next week.

Thanks for reminding me that the technical interview has spawned a whole branch of industry that will further serve to entrench it; more SAT prep yay!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Next call scheduled for this morning. A company I did a 5.5 hour interview with two weeks ago reached out to me on Friday that they want me to do a homework project. They're going to call me at 9am this morning.

haha wtf is this poo poo

"we just can't seem to get any good devs, there's just not enough of them and the people we start to like always get poached" *has 2 month interview process*

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah don't forget New Zealand is the new Jackson Hole for tech billionaires

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I love Australian and NZ vernacular

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

vodkat posted:

Wait, you have to pay your own company $350 a month for parking? Lmfao

My old workplace made us pay for parking in a garage I'm pretty certain they owned. I'm sure they would try to brush complaints off by saying it was to pay the parking management company and they couldn't give it to employees because that wouldn't be fair to the employees that don't drive or parked in another structure.

They also wouldn't allow us to park there on weekends or evenings and would sell spots after hours for sports and other events

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Caltech didn't have women's restrooms in its engineering buildings at one time and some tech conferences have closed women's restrooms and relabeled them as men's so be careful what you ask for

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Turns out lots of places still like degrees for lots of types of computer touching

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Being a sysadmin isn't a joke job and can be serious business; being a SRE or working in big money data center environments is work

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

the one time I want to use the LinkedIn jobs site it is hopelessly broken. literally can't apply for a job from the site or the app. this is your entire loving purpose LinkedIn, jfc

LinkedIn is a social network for thinkfluencers to evangelize their Hot Takes and people to build even more superfluous professional networks than they ever would in real life now, what's this job ads thing

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

why cant we hire someone with five phds and ten years experience in docker to our senior devops job

it's often this

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Double Bill posted:

Interview hell final report: 4 weeks, 4 companies, 9ish interviews (can't remember it's all a blur now). Dropped out of one after first interview (total garbage fire). Timed coding test, whiteboarding, aptitude test (with a literal IQ test), all forms of misery. Two offers, took the one with slightly less figgies but much more interesting domain/company/product.

What a lovely loving month, I lust for death.

I thought iq testing for employment was illegal, hence all the proxy iq testing?

Then again maybe it's not because America

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i fervently hope i never work for a "tech company"

in the future all companies are tech companies

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol plenty of coding bootcamps are ran by partnerships of companies and you're just paying for your own training, and they can just hire the people that are successful rather than firing low performers later on

people praise something that basically demonstrates that lots of companies could just hire a variety of people and train them for the job

but only executives and skilled union labor get to train on the job now

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i can't remember where i'm stealing this from but the quote goes something like: "you show me a ceo with no office, and i'll show you a conference room nobody can book"

computer touchers can work on an open floor but some people legitimately need privacy for phone calls etc

isn't this basically zuck/sandberg/etc?

i mean executives tend to be totally cool with signing up for an open floorplan workspace alongside their employees for "solidarity" because they'll never be there anyway

i have 4 offices :whatup: all but one are shared offices

one of my coworkers managed to get up to 4 offices at one point, but I think one of them was shared, and he gave that one up

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

minato posted:

Yeah, zuck and sandberg both have regular desks in amongst regular developers, and they never ever use them because they spend 100% of the time in their own glass-walled meeting rooms.

Zuck also has a conspicuous stack of important-sounding books on his desk that he's supposedly currently reading, and yet the stack never seems to change.

https://bookauthority.org

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i mean I guess you might need this now if you refuse to go to a bookstore or if amazon can't list you the current hot biz-bro books

it's all that any of these people will have pretended to read and recommend if they haven't ghost-written them themselves

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

i am probably interviewing some people in the near future please send help
whoever we hire will be our first expert in <their very specific field> . how do i interview people that, ideally, know dramatically more than me about the topic?

also how do i interview people in general lol. apparently we have some interviewer training thing but i dont trust that!

have them give a seminar on their work with a pretty high level of detail and then ask them dumb questions and see if they can give you an answer you can understand

hire the person whos work seems to be closest to whatever problem you're hiring them for and didn't seem like a charlatan

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
you might also get a smaller bonus at the end of the year for completely arbitrary reasons

i learned a lot of this garbage early in my career unfortunately

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my job has a base-level additional contribution amount + an additional matching schema

im not sure if its for means testing reasons; salaries around here are probably kind of weird in some cases but it also might be some employee consolation since they got rid of offering pensions to employees at a point in the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
we really need a software union, or at least some kind of professional organization at this point

a good one; not the AMA of CS

• Locked thread