Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

putting all your savings into any given stock/thing is a different problem altogether.

before worldcom it was legal for your employer to impose minimum requirements on purchasing company stock in your 401k lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mishaq posted:

better to realize a gain now than maybe realize a gain later

Almost like it's better to do both and moderation in all things hrmm

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

mishaq posted:

before worldcom it was legal for your employer to impose minimum requirements on purchasing company stock in your 401k lol

Rofl.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I only ever bought company stock because it was at a 10% discount. But you weren't allowed to sell for six months, so I only bought under the speculation it would go up, you know, pretty much the same reason you hold on to any stock really.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

I just learned what a fiduciary is :rock:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
some folks need to learn what "material" is too lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stymie posted:

don't worry, eventually all the tech companies will adopt unlimited vacation policies and then you won't have to worry about your vacation time because it'll be de facto impossible to take time off

i fervently hope i never work for a "tech company"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i fervently hope i never work for a "tech company"

in the future all companies are tech companies

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Had a car crash phone interview today. Was asked to talk about some C++ code I'd written on Tuesday but no longer had access to (it was written on a website), but failed completely to answer some of the questions because I didn't have the code in front of me.

me: The key used for the cache wasn't unique which is why the wrong values for your calculation were being returned.
them: It doesn't have to be unique.
me: [genuinely confused and flailing for 5 minutes while they stand their ground]
them, 5 minutes later: but the cache is an unordered_map
me: :doh:

them: any other comments on the code that you can't review?
me: uh, well, those function definitions are within the class as opposed to outside, and, uh well [flails]
them, 5 minutes later: what about the raw pointers?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i think me flailing while trying to explain that the key *needs* to be unique may have come across as stubborn and bad at communication, and i may have lost it on that alone

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

better luck next time

Perhaps you have dodged the bullet by... not getting a job that requires C++?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

Had a car crash phone interview today. Was asked to talk about some C++ code I'd written on Tuesday but no longer had access to (it was written on a website), but failed completely to answer some of the questions because I didn't have the code in front of me.

me: The key used for the cache wasn't unique which is why the wrong values for your calculation were being returned.
them: It doesn't have to be unique.
me: [genuinely confused and flailing for 5 minutes while they stand their ground]
them, 5 minutes later: but the cache is an unordered_map

them: any other comments on the code that you can't review?
me: uh, well, those function definitions are within the class as opposed to outside, and, uh well [flails]
them, 5 minutes later: what about the raw pointers?

lol at C++ coders, C is bad enough

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

AWWNAW posted:

Perhaps you have dodged the bullet by... not getting a job that requires C++?

and an employer dumb enough to ask you about code you can't see. for future reference, you can tell them that if they want you to discuss code they're looking at, they should send you a copy

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've also been getting more very unconfident interviewers on the other side of the line. Many of them don't seem to have planned the interview well and often ask a lot closed questions seemingly expecting you to follow up.

Interviewer: the c++ code you wrote in your previous role, was it cross platform?

me: yes, it had to compile on both Windows and Linux

*Awkward prolonged silence*

qhat fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 29, 2017

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
most interviewers are just random managers or team members who happened to be free at 115pm and got roped into it. no training and no prep - theyre looking at your resume (which they just pulled out of the laser printer) for the first time.

if i had a nickle for every interview ive had which more or less started with "uh....so i see your most recent job was at xyz company. tell me a little about that" ...

my least favorite interview type is the interviewer who spends 75% of the time talking about himself and the department and barely gives you a chance to pitch yourself or show your stuff

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FMguru posted:

most interviewers are just random managers or team members who happened to be free at 115pm and got roped into it. no training and no prep - theyre looking at your resume (which they just pulled out of the laser printer) for the first time.

if i had a nickle for every interview ive had which more or less started with "uh....so i see your most recent job was at xyz company. tell me a little about that" ...

my least favorite interview type is the interviewer who spends 75% of the time talking about himself and the department and barely gives you a chance to pitch yourself or show your stuff

I mean, at past companies I've worked with there has been very specific training wrt interviewing and always a meeting beforehand between the previous round interviewers and the next round interviewers. Being an interviewer isn't hard if you have a structure and already know what you're going to probe them on. I guess I just find it weird when I'm the interviewee and I feel like I'm actually the one conducting the interview.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qhat posted:

I mean, at past companies I've worked with there has been very specific training wrt interviewing and always a meeting beforehand between the previous round interviewers and the next round interviewers. Being an interviewer isn't hard if you have a structure and already know what you're going to probe them on. I guess I just find it weird when I'm the interviewee and I feel like I'm actually the one conducting the interview.
those companies are good companies with functioning and competent hr departments

they are in the extreme minority

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

I've also been getting more very unconfident interviewers on the other side of the line. Many of them don't seem to have planned the interview well and often ask a lot closed questions seemingly expecting you to follow up.

Interviewer: the c++ code you wrote in your previous role, was it cross platform?

me as interviewee: huh i wonder why some of these interviewers aren't engaged
me as interviewer: *outlook dings* wait gently caress when did i agree to this

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

you did good by not getting that job qhat

Interviews are hella two way streets, including doing bad at them. If you're bombing an interview it's like 5% you're an idiot and 95% giant red flag it's a bad fit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

me as interviewee: huh i wonder why some of these interviewers aren't engaged
me as interviewer: *outlook dings* wait gently caress when did i agree to this
thats it exactly. for most interviewers, interviews are just something dumped on their platter, on top of their normal 40+ hours of work to do that week

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qhat posted:

I mean you can still kinda follow up on that, like

"Yeah, there was a requirement from another team that (this server) had to work on their win32 dev boxes as well as the linux production environment, so I had to abstract out epoll vs io completion ports, also win32 threads vs pthreads, the usual stuff. Boy at least we're finally off Windows XP so that I can rely on the excellent Windows operating system to actually support condition variables, huh? *laugh track*"

or

"Oh yeah, cross platform GUI app. That code base started out as Qt 4 but we migrated it to Qt 5 recently, much nicer than having to deal with the equivalent version bump in Gtk lemme tell ya. Anyway it used the old style Qt widget API but we're moving the UI over to QML piecemeal and it's really nice to work with!"

or

"Yeah so we wanted to make use of this new C++14 feature and everything was great on GCC 6, but then we discovered that the MSVC implementation was subtly broken so we (pulled in some godfuckingawful Boost bullshit I don't loving know)"

or something like that idk i've never actually done anything with qt and I haven't had to professionally care about C++ since before C++11 was a thing and I am sure as poo poo not about to start professionally caring about it again any time soon if I have any choice in the matter.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

I mean you can still kinda follow up on that, like

Well, I mean sure, a filled out sentence never really hurt anyone, but go on too much and you just end up dumping a load of answers for questions they never asked and it just comes across as filibuster. Ultimately the onus is on the interviewers to probe deeper and ask what they actually want to know, and a lack of further questioning indicates a lack of preparation on their part.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you're senior enough, you are also interviewing the interviewer and company. follow through on their questions with follow ups. continue the conversation and offer up new directions to explore. see if they can keep up with you and how they respond to what you give them. "yeah, this algorithm that I just wrote on the whiteboard will solve what you asked me, but if this was a production environment we would preprocess and partition the data set so that we don't have to do so much searching. for example..."

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

most places in the valley seem slightly hostile or at best ambivalent toward getting places by walking. are there neighborhoods that are actually nice to walk in?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DuckConference posted:

most places in the valley seem slightly hostile or at best ambivalent toward getting places by walking. are there neighborhoods that are actually nice to walk in?
san francisco itself

berkeley

many of the suburb communities have a walkable core (i lived a couple of blocks off of castro street in mountain view for a while - a zillion restaurants, fun shops, the train station, and the library, all in walking distance)

but california culture is car culture and even in the hippy dippy bay area thats hard to get away from

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

san francisco itself

thought about it briefly, but "tired of trading off commuting distance vs. rental cost? just say gently caress it and max both the gently caress out"

quote:

but california culture is car culture and even in the hippy dippy bay area thats hard to get away from

it has it's advantages though. like there's wideass roads that flow reasonably even at peak times and there's shittons of parking wherever you're going (compared to vancouver, anyway)

EDIT: like the main north-south routes in vancouver max out at 3 lanes each way, where the right lane allows parking, the left lane allows left turns at uncontrolled intersections, and the middle lane is clogged with people making the safe choice to not get stuck behind a car turning left. if your passenger is a nice person they helpfully call out to you whether or not the upcoming block is free of parked cars so you can use the right lane

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 29, 2017

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cars are bad and car """culture""" is a cancer

Iverron
May 13, 2012

FMguru posted:

gently caress me I hate that

A few months ago I had a phone interview exactly like this where I clocked the guy at 17 minutes without letting up at one point. I had maybe 5 solid minutes to say anything at all over the course of the interview before he had to make another meeting. Received a "moved forward with other candidates" a week later and had absolutely no idea what I could've done better because I had almost no opportunity to say anything technical.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

mishaq posted:

this was me, i had worldcom stock because i worked for worldcom at the time. they bought and promptly dismantled uunet and before i knew it ebbers had hosed me out of my 401k but i didn't know poo poo about poo poo because it was my first real job

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 29, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

quote:

Being a good manager now means helping those whom you manage acquire the skills that will help them to leave for a better job at another company.

:five:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

must say that the changing jobs as a matter of course is a pretty stupid development, there is something to be said for finding oneself in satisfactory circumstances at work and being able to focus on other things for recurring variety in life. employers who have created the situation though, the moment you offer a new guy a better deal to change jobs than you offer the guys you have you should expect everyone else to do the same, creating endless churn

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

must say that the changing jobs as a matter of course is a pretty stupid development, there is something to be said for finding oneself in satisfactory circumstances at work and being able to focus on other things for recurring variety in life. employers who have created the situation though, the moment you offer a new guy a better deal to change jobs than you offer the guys you have you should expect everyone else to do the same, creating endless churn

I think it depends on the time scale. Once every year or less is too much, imo, but every 2-5 years? Why not?

Depending on where you work and what you do projects could only last 6 months to a couple of years and changing projects (or teams) is essentially the same as switching to a new job since you're learning a new code base or figuring out how to work with a new team.

So why not try out another industry and potentially get a sweet pay bump while you're at it?

The only downside I've found is by sticking around for awhile at a company you learn which projects are cool and which are poo poo, and you can try to position yourself to work on things you're interested in. But if your company doesn't have any cool work...

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
institutional knowledge and connections in the company make you more effective than just a code typist. you advance your career by being able to solve problems at a larger scale, anticipate issues that you've encountered before, and work with other teams to get things accomplished. you become more valuable to the company.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

The Management posted:

institutional knowledge and connections in the company make you more effective than just a code typist. you advance your career by being able to solve problems at a larger scale, anticipate issues that you've encountered before, and work with other teams to get things accomplished. you become more valuable to the company.

sure, but the company needs to recognize that increased value with increased compensation. they typically only want to pay a cost of living increase, since they figure you're already working for them at the current amount, so why should they pay more? but you're worth more at another company, so you jump ship. repeat until death

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Quitting a job owns. Best to do it before everyone realises you're actually an imposter.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qhat posted:

Quitting a job owns. Best to do it before everyone realises you're actually an imposter.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Also in Apple thread

https://twitter.com/GalaxyKate/status/891348106691960832

Reminder to all to look at working conditions when you're interviewing :)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ShadowHawk posted:

Also in Apple thread

open offices are a crime

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Also in Apple thread

this seems bad even by open floorplan standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jony neuemonic posted:

this seems bad even by open floorplan standards.

what are those lovely looking chairs?

• Locked thread