Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

actually, interviewing and job hunting owns because it's the best way to get a 40% salary bump

i got a 50% bump on my last job change :smugdog:

and i was still underpaid. i was just EXTREMELY underpaid at old job, lmao. they gave me another 20% last year, and 5% the year before that tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i get to interview someone for a junior qa role tomorrow. very excited about it.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Plank Walker posted:

you can always do what one of my excoworkers did and lobby hard for projects in areas you want to learn, half-complete them, and leave the company for the job you want, forcing everyone else to pick up your slack

oh did we work with the same guy

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

some jerk scheduled me for an interview at 9 am next week. gross.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Agile Vector posted:

having a child is a disability, lonely hr computer man says

yeah my wife took out a temporary disability policy so she'd have some income while on maternity leave.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

echinopsis posted:

i just presumed there werent any

give it about a year and there won't be

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

lol I would not be able to adequately answer a lot of those. tho maybe that's ok because I'm just some chump who got conned into doing an interview and not the hiring manager. idk.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

what are the values of this company.

idk they give me money for touching a computer. is that a value.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

just interviewed a guy for a entry level position who is so not entry level.

also it was a 9 am interview which is just the worst.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Raluek posted:

im the entry level job that requires a PhD and 3+ years or a MS and 5+ years

nah the job listing says 1 to 3 years and BS or equivalent experience, this guy had 10+. idk why HR even gave him to us to interview.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i'm interviewing someone tomorrow who has been doing a java apprenticeship. hmm.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

carry on then posted:

ask what all three meanings of "final" are

they could give any answer because idk anything about java

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

FMguru posted:

they are

largely because theyre just random managers or team members who happened to be available at 130pm on wednesday to go into a room and spend 30 minutes asking some rando a bunch of questions and have never been trained in interviewing

if i had a nickel for every interview ive been in where the interviewer spent the first half of it asking me questions about the last two jobs on my resume which he was obviously reading for the first time...

"so you worked at xyz corp. um, what did you do there?"

this is going to be me in like 10 minutes :negative:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

I have a computer touching job in Minneapolis. it's in healthcare. there's a lot of those kinds of jobs.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

The Management posted:

okay so obviously referrals are the best, but after that, PYF job internets.

there's always LinkedIn, which is awful, but their weekly job emails have been somewhat decent lately. especially if you are looking for big companies.

I've been using indeed.com recently, which is kind of hit or miss but I like that it takes you to the actual company's website job posting.

only one of my jobs ever has been from some jobs internet, and i found it on monster.com.

everything else has been someone finding me, somehow. or directly through the org's website.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

leper khan posted:

that feel when a recruiter emails you out of the blue with a job that would be a 50% raise :unsmith:

this was me two and a half years ago! and then it turned out that a 50% raise was still massively underpaying me by like 20k, lmao.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

yeah lol. last job it took 7 years to go from 28k to 40k. i started here in 2014 at 60, after a year and a half they'd bumped me up to 75. so i'm almost where i want to be now. it's v good.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i'm looking at my resume and linkedin profile for the first time since like 2014 and i have no idea how to write a resume anymore, lmao

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

non-agenda-based conversation, lmao

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i was doing heck of work in my first week at my current job, and last job too. i'm a v good employee imo.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Accept both offers. Actually work at which of the three jobs you want the most. Collect 3 paychecks as long as possible.

This works a lot better with remote jobs. One day I hope to goad someone into actually doing it.

we're like 90% sure one of our remote BAs is doing this.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Cold on a Cob posted:

save as much money as you can and live cheap for as long as you can

not a day goes by when i don't wish i could redo my 20s and save more

same. i'm pretty sure just having a dog while still renting cost us at least 20k in extra rent costs over 4 years because of needing a yard and all.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

BONGHITZ posted:

I like dogs

they're ok but holy poo poo don't get one if you're renting.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Cold on a Cob posted:

someone who posts in yospos had a coworker suck off a shotgun in their car in the office parking lot, i can't remember who tho

*checks yospos.accdb*

it was h p hovercraft

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Maximum Leader posted:

ive never gotten a job where they didnt make an offer the day after (or even the same day)

fastest turnaround i've has was at my current job. internal recruiter contacted me on a friday, had in-person interview the following friday, and an offer on monday.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

mishaq posted:

golden cuffs own

lol if you require passion or fulfillment out of your 9-5

was it someone in this thread that said they can find interesting and fulfilling problems on their own time, but can't stack paper on their own. I think it was.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

the only job i've had with an office was when i did GIS work at my family's old map store. and then it was just one of the bedrooms upstairs in the house we used for a store. lol.

my last job didn't even have cubes, it was just desks in a big ol' room, arranged all panopticon style.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

wtf is an annual bonus

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a gigantic cash bonus that comes every year if you work in the right industry, or an annual disappointment in cash form if you work in the wrong one

well i've never gotten one

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Rudest Buddhist posted:

^ Yep, tell them you want him to go back to whoever and ask for a bigger bump. Cite median salary or whatever you want to back it up. Tell them how disappointed you are that it is simply a Cost of Living bump.

reminder: http://www.boomertechnologygroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2017SalaryGuide_Tech.pdf

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Rex-Goliath posted:

in most places the ba gathers and defines requirements and then puts it into a language that the programmers can understand. since you've already done a bunch of your own beep boop computer stuff AND you know your way around the industry you should be a shoe-in.

and in some places they just poo poo out a deliverable's requirements all over a friggin million-tab excel file, and in a completely different format for every single deliverable. :toot:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

bigass trucks trigger me pretty bad.

anything bigger than like a minivan should need special permits to drive in downtown areas.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my company reimburses us $70/month for buying mass transit but not for monthly parking if you choose to drive

we design transportation infrastructure tho

we get $76/mo for parking or transit. the covers one month of a metropass (unlimited access) or uh approx 7 days of parking at one of the cheaper lots.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

minivanmegafun posted:

mega agreedo'd

my building was making the bike room larger this past weekend and switching from key to a keycard lock, im excited to see what it looks like on Monday (though it's supposed to rain all week so I guess I'll take the train that also is still only a 20 minute commute :sigh: what a bother)

my building put in a room like that last summer, it's really nice to have. you used to have to haul your bike up on the elevator. they even included a little bike tune-up station. like one of these: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-10maKcJx1Xo/UYGAD9bUt3I/AAAAAAAAAHM/acsyuKS0D9o/s1600/closeupdero.JPG

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Destroyenator posted:

5% then complained and got +5 days/year leave

hahahahaha

last job, they gave us 3.5% after like 3 years of no raises, and were all "oh but we're also giving you 3 free vacation days! what a great deal for you"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

fart simpson posted:

my company official policy is everyone has to fly coach on every flight, even transpacific flights

oldjob was like that. i had to fly coach to india. the second leg from toronto to frankfurt wasn't awful, i was the only on in the row, and the very last leg from toronto to minneapolis i was one of like 6 people on the plane. the rest was not a great experience.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

welp the guy who got me my current job contacted me about qa position at another place. but it's not downtown which is kind of a deal breaker unless the figgies are extremely good.

and also it's a qa position. i just moved to a development position like a month ago.

anyway it's good to be at the point where people want to hire me and i can say no.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Symbolic Butt posted:

I ascended to higher middle class without having a degree and I could say stuff like "I worked hard to get this" but actually I just parroted stuff from tef and shaggar and people just believe that I know something about computers

this is my yospos success story

yeah same it's great

i should read the programmer thread more tho.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i have a phone interview on friday. i'm not sure if i really want the job but the recruiter is the same one that got me my current job and the figgies are good so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

welp that was a really short interview. i was hoping the position would be more developing qa tools and such, but that part is all done and it would have been just writing test cases :barf:

• Locked thread