Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

qhat posted:

If you honestly gently caress up on an ultra basic question in that way, then the only logical conclusion that can be drawn from that is "this person has absolutely no idea what they are talking about"

In the days of dial up had a prospective client ask me "how do I get your software?"

"We'll give you a couple disks"

"And how much memory does your software use?"

Two disks worth roughly, wtf but w/e

"Oh, about 3-4 megs"

"I see. And is that in RAM or in ROM?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Flat Daddy posted:

the best life is being a lazy dipshit who still exceeds expectations somehow

But sooner or later they want you to start taking on more responsibility or racking up certs or other bullshit *heavy sigh*

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

leper khan posted:

interns are really good at clearing out the snack drawer. haven't run into issues with coffee, but we have the single-serve packets.

I think our snack budget doubles when we have interns. The admin people get really upset about it. :lol:

Had a new guy at the office when some fancy drink pod machine gets installed. Everyone loves the hazelnut caramel or whatever it was.

A week or so later the office IM is lighting up like "hey where are all the hazelnut caramel pods?"

New guy: if you want some come see me ;) ;) ;) ;)

Thinking WTF I go over to see the new guy, and he has literally taken EVERY SINGLE ONE of the pods and filled his bottom desk drawer with them. Had an earnest chat with the guy and he apparently loves them too and didn't want to risk going without and they're free aren't they so he just helped himself to every single one of them. But there's no problem because if someone wants one he'll do them a solid and give them one if, just come see him right?!?!?!?

loving only child is my guess

e: testing whether you're a culture fit for the office should consist of role playing that scenario or something like it

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 12, 2017

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm an only child and i don't even like taking the last item of food, that guy's just a dumbass shitlord

Come to think of it hoarding communal good poo poo into your personal stash is a tons-o-siblings survival move too so after careful thought I'm more in favor of your analysis.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

cis autodrag posted:

i wish programmers were paid better in the uk (and trans people weren't totally hosed by the nhs) because I would move to London or Edinburgh like instantly if I could make comparable figgies there, accounting for a slightly lower income due to Healthcare being free.

oh yeah I can relate

like me I wanted to move to the coast so badly, it's all I ever wanted in a place to call home. I'd move if only I could get comparable $$$ for programming BUT programming jobs suck out there

had to face the reality that apparently I loved programming more than I loved the idea of living in my dream place

between you and me I haven't been the same since

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember reading that Mueller specifically dressed like a Hoover era G man because at the time the FBI's mandate and duties were changing a lot and he wanted to signal that despite all the changes it was still the same FBI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My wife got laid off and on one hand it's great because I know she wasn't happy but on the other I dread the fact that she doesn't really know what she wants and may simply quietly freak out.

I mean I can and do handle 90% of the household poo poo but I'm worried this will lead to me handling like 99% in which case I will DEFINITELY freak

• Locked thread