Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Interview last week, they had not prepared and made stuff up as they went. Actually nice programming challenge, basic FIX parser. Found bugs in their code for FIX constants too. I haven't heard anything so yet another rejection, woot.

Bonus they had just moved office that morning and were unpacking things everywhere and I turned up at the old address.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Holy moly I have made progress in interviewing, I have received my first non-rejection response! :sotw:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just finished a nice interview with an ECN, talked about the problems of ZeroMQ and the dearth of IPv6.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Technical interview targeting C++ and networking protocols, what are the chances of not being a trivia quiz?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It was surprisingly low on trivia time, but it was 11am to 4pm with no breaks of coding on paper. An alloc-free vector, small packet optimized data store, recursive mutex, lockless stack, lockless single linked list, lockless double linked list, binary tree validation, binary tree serialization, and probably others my mind has frizzled on already, they kept feeding me puzzles and not food.

A few questions on SPARC details and even SunOS constructs, oh yay thanks.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 14, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

In other news I received a very long response on another interview, which basically said they like me but that I'm a terrible programmer. Then offered a contract instead of a W2.

:dance:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Clockwerk posted:

you sound talented, not sure why you're getting stuck with all this poo poo. are you willing to relocate or just looking in a small area?

It's because it's finance land and I'm more of a generalist systems engineer when everyone wants a savant computer scientist, or be willing to work in NJ. In non-finance land I don't have a resume of 100% Python or Java and it has been the same rejection on so many interview final rounds.

I have cool projects like the NYSE wallboards, some spiffy DB optimization working with MemSQL and Larry Tabb and everyone is excited and even taking notes about the DBs and stuff, but ultimately they are completely unrelated to the interviewing position.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 14, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

1. ChomeOS.

4. 172.31.x.x

gently caress, I think I've been asked these two too.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 14, 2016

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:toot: company wants to send me off to sunny Chicago for a week and pay week-by-week. In the meantime wait for other interview responses and freelancing contracts.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Gazpacho posted:

lol if you as a hired employee give a poo poo about your company's "mission" or "values"

These have worked well for showing off to HR,

i) What efforts do you extend in educational, humanitarian and general charitable aid? For example as a technology organisation do you promote the mission of Code.org?

ii) How do you promote health and fitness in the workplace? Do employees partake in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge or similar?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Gazpacho posted:

you are chasing after corporate fads my dude, i mean if you're just cynically tyring to impress HR maybe that will do it but i hope you don't believe in this stuff

The HR lady was pestering me for questions and this was after 5 rounds of interviews already so I copy & pasted from a BBC article I think. She was actually quite happy to answer, but I'll never ask them again. I do ask about gym membership, especially Equinox as that place is pretty nice in NYC, and this was just before I ran the LasVegas marathon so I needed to continue my schedule.

An Uber interviewer mentioned they had a 150mile cycle in Houston or somewhere, sounded pretty amazing for a corporate event.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

carry on then posted:

lmao if you don't have exercise for lunch and tell everyone this fact at every opportunity

Better hearing it rather than smelling it. Too many people exercise in their work attire.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

With a gym in the building I've seen this in CA a lot:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

spankmeister posted:

Code fast and break things for others to clean up

I'm doing that right now, adding a chunk of the Chromium Project codebase to easily integrate a third party library. There is no way I'm spending the months to integrate with the existing blight of a homegrown framework.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:toot: NYSE have 👍 me up to update the :chome: on the floor, I think it's only fair to get that guy on the screens somehow, probably a loading logo. Job hunting for development roles after this is going to suck. It's only hiring for management roles that actually like this work, every single other interviewer has expressed disdain otherwise.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 24, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I've had more than one interviewer say they cannot spot bullshitting and hence they have the tests.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Contracting for 6.5 figs, still cannot get a full time position. Interviewing is balls.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Compensation is at $200K OTE, with a 75/25 or 80/20 split with base.

quote:

an award winning opensource technology company focusing on both integration and cloud services for fortune 500 companies. You will work with an stablished pre-sales team to deliver middleware solutions architecture for their top Financial Services clients in the Greater NYC area.

How about no.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's pretty much what all hotels do today, bill you at reception rather than what was booked with.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Iverron posted:

I mean if they can see you don't have a CS degree and expect big o answers: :redflag:

That's almost all tech companies though, at least the 30 odd so I have interviewed with in NYC and PA.

I have managed to keep in some odd niche field whereby getting things done is more important than having inefficient algorithms? Performance is not relevant for a significant chunk of IT work, Windows and the Internet have been a good enough example of that.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

A month? Maybe.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Management posted:

if they don't ask you coding questions during the interview gtfo because that means they didn't ask your colleagues either and probably hired a lot of smooth talking worthless people

On the other hand there are positions for which you would be the top technical personnel and such questions may end up comical: 6.5 figgy interviews for one.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

raminasi posted:

but you've got 20 years of experience on your resume

20 × 1 year of experience strikes again.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I've had interviewers ignore anything I haven't used in the last 3 months which ends up a super poo poo show if you are regularly working on projects with completely different technology. I mean drat I've been using Node and I definitely don't want a full-time position based on that.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

UK was home to more than one non-tiny game studio, e.g. Bullfrog, Lionhead, Rare, 22Cans :lol:, Core, Ocean, Eidos, etc.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Even 6.5 figgies before tax is quite acceptable.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's why it's good to work in pre or post sales and visit as many clients as possible to preview other environments before jumping ship.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: owned, you get taxed on what is provided it is your fault if you do not use.

See CA taxes on assumed tips as a real overreach.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I have legitimately added this photo to my LinkedIn profile, :lol:

3¼ figgies in 6 months and completed on time, need to hustle for more work.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

cis autodrag posted:

i wish programmers were paid better in the uk (and trans people weren't totally hosed by the nhs) because I would move to London or Edinburgh like instantly if I could make comparable figgies there, accounting for a slightly lower income due to Healthcare being free.

I've been trying to find work in Glasgow, found a great Satellite company sponsored by the fisherman's wife. They tried to get me to move to Singapore instead, then found a better positioning in San Francisco, then stalled for a while. A bit later they opened up a position in Glasgow, which is mainly a hardware office, and the salary is £26K. Oof.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

jre posted:

26k doing what ? Also what's your skill set ?

Software engineering developing their cloud apps and infrastructure for signal processing and other tasks.

The job listings appear to shuffle about a bit visiting again today: https://spire.com/careers/openings/

I'm a messaging middleware developer (TIBCO RV, ZeroMQ) and solutions architect for small financial projects, I'm currently finishing off the NYSE equities floor display system rewrite (6 months) and starting to work on their Options floor. So that's various bits of real time market data infrastructure development, protocols, networking, and all the garbage JS and Polymer based front end with WebGL too. From 220 servers down to 2, and a team of 30+ developers to just me, that also means I'm on significantly better figgies 😎

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

JP Morgan Chase is a big employer in Glasgow, and I actually have an active contractor badge with them in NYC. Banks tend not to like WFH and are overly bureaucratic for employees but pretty good for contractors making a mess of things. I've never worked in a formal development environment until a recent few months at an FX trading shop, I'm usually the only developer in larger teams with others working on the financial or business side.

I have a wonderfully short résumé but it usually gets me in for an interview, most interviewers want a Computer Scientist specializing on algorithms or simply don't value a lot of the things I'm good at and ask stupid quiz questions about CSS 3. That interviewer was on the floor as they IPOd recently, odd moment.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 30, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

26k is better than many Welsh jobs :lol: Best option appears to find a nice WFH position.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Half my conference calls I take on speaker phone sitting in a kayak in the middle of a lake, or sitting on a couch in a music store with a touring musician strumming away on a $3,000 guitar.

This week I learnt IDC have a production tool called MADMAN that has zero error checking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I completely confuse recruiters now, it's great: I have a big, highly visible project using TypeScript, Node.JS, WebSockets, but I'm not a web developer and I know nothing about AngularJS or React. Then comes remuneration chat, :lol:

• Locked thread