Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I sort of meant the overall practice of jumping jobs for a paybump, rather than organizational outlook on said

it's the only way to get one nowadays tho unless you're extremely lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Uhh lol govt goes a long way. I had a clearance but still couldn't get access to the production system for the program I lead for 18 months because lol govt. I quit before ever logging into production a single time. Felt good.

i do not and will not ever have production access because lol finance.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

absolutely not

lmao.

yeah wtf.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

step one is to decide what you want

then you tailor your resume and cover letters and practice interviews to go get it

i have struggled with this. doesn't help that even when i try to focus my employer goes "oh you're just so flexible!" and moves me all over creation.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

being "flexible" and getting moved all over creation is a good thing. it means you have more fodder for the resume, and you can build a variety of different resumes to suit different job applications

the catch is that when you are looking at a specific job, you gotta come up with a specific resume to match it. don't put every g-d thing you ever did for anybody on there. use the stuff that is coherent with a specific narrative that leads to you getting a specific job.

yeah, i can't say it's been bad for my career. just getting tired i guess, but vacation this summer :toot:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

a year or two ago qirex (or maybe rotor?) posted some a-class questions for in-person interviewers and they've always been crowd pleasers

it may have been tef, if they're the questions i'm thinking of.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

a deece 6.1 figgies

nice!

i got owned by a coding screen lol :rip:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

so I may have accidentally emailed my boss/boss's boss/HR my signed offer letter instead of my signed notice of termination today

savage.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

they asked if i had written any tutorials for a non-business audience and that's all i had, lol. i had to say "proprietary" and "non-compete" a lot

this is amazing.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

kinda wishing that i could quit my job and focus on prepping for interviews full time but obvs that's the dumbest possible decision, to forego income to cram whiteboarding questions all day and read CLRS, so instead I'll do InterviewBit or some other fluffy technical questions prep site

same. i have a bunch of stuff in flight and more time to get ready would be swell.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so this is really loving important right at the outset. decide what is important to you. the same approach is not gonna work for small and large companies, and the outcomes will not be the same when you hire on.

the experience is radically different, and how you look for a job is gonna change

• if you really just can't see yourself working 12 hours a day while being abused by a 20-something "founder" or the big boss's twerp nephew, maybe a "small company" is not for you

• if buzzword bingo makes you die a little inside or you can't stand "policy," maybe fortune 500 life isn't going to suit you

• if you wish to be paid with money instead of lottery tickets, you should probably not take any kind of a startup job. i don't care how cool the office is, and neither should you.

SO and HN seem pretty fuckin dead-on targeted at small business and startups, so, hope that aligns with your career goals

any recommendations for targeting large companies? or is it just hit their careers page and hope?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

thanks dudes.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

their hockey team isn't technically the worst anymore. that's something.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i appreciate your help, friend

i don't need to love the location, i just need to be able to tolerate it for a few years. i am very career oriented currently and that's why I came to the south, and (will, if given the right offer) move to AZ.

endless suburbs is very bad, however. is there at least a neighborhood with a lot of hipsters?

same. i have a few places i'd like to move next but the more time i spend in a lousy market the more open i am to heading wherever the jobs are.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

working through cracking the coding interview because i have approximately zero interview-problem solving skills and hoo boy, is my imposter syndrome flaring up.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i've been hitting a lot of those sort of problems in screens lately, so what i like has very little to do with it.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

ahmeni posted:

*kicks down the door* hello INSERT NAME HERE! didn't read anything but I have a wonderful opportunity for a position half your current salary in a language you used once 7 years ago. Benefits include: a desk, a ping pong table needlessly close to said desk. Remote working is forbidden because the CTO believes in ghosts. Please send me your CV so I may pretend to have read it in our interview. If this position is not for you, feel free to ruin your relationships by forwarding it to your colleagues.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

chmods please posted:

that would have been next month. imo it would come across as significantly more petty to quit *after* being guaranteed a bonus and a fatter final paycheck. i like my boss and don't want to burn that bridge.

who cares, stack the paper.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

that was almost fishmech-like, how you addressed the assumed implication of a tiny part of my post, rather than the actual point therein

i don't care if your quiz is "fair", i'm saying your entire methodology of interviewing is wrong

i don't think there's anything wrong with chatting through a problem with a whiteboard around because that's something that my actual team does all the time.

making it the only thing that matters, or turning it into language specification trivia hour sucks though.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i have two offers plus a major award and raise at current job (which i like )

dunno what to do

pick one?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i'm starting to think the theme of this year is going to be finding new and exciting ways to botch code screens. this is fine.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

you know, despite Glassdoor/PayScale/LinkedIn Salary/etc., I still have no idea how much I should shoot for in my next salary

pick a number that feels reasonable. then double it.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

saving money is more important than paying down debt

if something terrible happens, you can always stop servicing the debt, but you can't conjure savings from thin air.

and no, credit cards won't help you either -- the banks are really good at detecting financial distress and killing your accounts.

make the minimum payments until you have a reasonable cushion in cash. at a minimum, three months salary

holy poo poo, this. had a pretty bad scare recently and learned real fast i've been too aggressive with paying off debt and not doing near enough saving.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Aquarium of Lies posted:

I've heard good things about cracking the coding interview from friends, but haven't used it myself

it's a great source of practice problems if you have comp sci fundamentals down. if you don't, start somewhere else. it doesn't cover things in enough detail to actually fill in knowledge gaps imo.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

redleader posted:

what if you just need the bare minimum of comp sci to beat an interview?

i didn't find i was able to use it as a learning resource at all, ymmv.

i grabbed this book as a companion, but i'm not far enough to really say if it's any good yet.

jony neuemonic fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 2, 2017

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i have an interview tomorrow. :yotj:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

yeah i played startup for 3 years and being a fungible cog is such a luxury

e: have i mentioned the 67% raise? thats v. nice too

be an employee at a large shop or an owner at a startup, imo. employee at a startup is just aggravating.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Leck posted:

for people who have relocated for a job, how did you go about looking for jobs in a new city without much of a network there? for some reason recruiters aren't banging down my door begging me to relocate like some people in this thread, so i might have to find a job myself <:mad:>

i just applied for things until someone said sure okay. but that's total crapshoot territory and getting relo expenses paid isn't going to be a guarantee.

so yeah, it's hard.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

lancemantis posted:

tbh I think I would want a Real Engineers office to be a serious environment

in fact in general I think i would prefer an evironment that takes itself somewhat seriously, minus dress codes because I can't be bothered with that anymore

congratulations, you're an adult.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Home office supremacy

yep. i actually prefer going to an office, but modern offices are so bad.

here's hoping i land one of the remote jobs i'm after.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

raminasi posted:

boston, ma is the worst place in the entire world

great accent though.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rt4 posted:

don't work for an MLM company it's loving crazy

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

all work is crazy

look i'm as nihilistic as any computerman but bullshit like MLM is a special kind of soul crushing.

it's also going to stink up your resume and do you really want to have to dance around being part of a literal pyramid scheme next time you're interviewing?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Rudest Buddhist posted:

How bad is working in AdTech? Glassdoor rating is a 2.7. Anyone pay attention to Glassdoor?

Also they have no QA department which I kind of took as a plus.

this means you're the qa department.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i've never received a bonus. had one place that did rrsp matching, that was nice.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Spazmo posted:

swear to god one time I got "the company is investing in you, but you also need to invest in the company."

incredible.

Luigi Thirty posted:

well I passed another pop quiz and have an interview on Tuesday

I hope I get employed soon I miss having income

good luck!

i have a phone screen and a second-stage interview tomorrow. :pray:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

i knew one architect who learned how to drive a 18 wheeler and did a long-haul run

that guy rules.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Leck posted:

trying to schedule all day interviews while working is a pain in the rear end. i'm sure a random middle of the week day off won't look suspicious or anything.

who cares? you're leaving anyway.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

mishaq posted:

lol if a full day at the office drains you

my last office was an especially cramped open office with bad air quality, a full day there was exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Management posted:

self driving cats

:eyepop:

• Locked thread