Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I like interviewing when the candidate does really well or really poorly. it's the in betweeners that I hate because it's just awkward and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
at that point I just try to find out how easy I have to go before they can answer correctly. do they know how to print their own name?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I plan to stay at this job as long as the stock keeps rising and you keep the grants coming in increasing quantities. if you can guarantee that then I guarantee 5+ years

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

britain has been really good at making sure filthy commoners stay in their place

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
stock grants are more than half my total comp. more if the stock had a good year

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wood houses are fine in places where the weather is not awful.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lol at presenting career advancement as quitting. mobility is leverage that gets you better conditions, whether or not you exercise it. if your employer recognizes your value, they should give you equal value to retain you (in whatever form, money, working conditions, ball pits).

you move around until you find the right fit for you, and you stay there until it isn't right anymore. if you're just looking to quit all the time people will notice and let you go.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

loving crushed the interview today. I'll be really shocked if I don't get a call back.

Here's hoping.

nice!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I held on to my Apple stock and made a ton of money. ymmv

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

gently caress that, housing should be cheap. We can only do that by legalizing new housing.

my opinion is valid and others' isn't so I am justified in breaking the law and forcing them to put up with my behavior.

quote:

just so we can make a few boomers who happen to live here richer.

"boomers". most of my neighbors are tech nerds just like you and me.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

AWWNAW posted:

Perhaps you have dodged the bullet by... not getting a job that requires C++?

and an employer dumb enough to ask you about code you can't see. for future reference, you can tell them that if they want you to discuss code they're looking at, they should send you a copy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you're senior enough, you are also interviewing the interviewer and company. follow through on their questions with follow ups. continue the conversation and offer up new directions to explore. see if they can keep up with you and how they respond to what you give them. "yeah, this algorithm that I just wrote on the whiteboard will solve what you asked me, but if this was a production environment we would preprocess and partition the data set so that we don't have to do so much searching. for example..."

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
institutional knowledge and connections in the company make you more effective than just a code typist. you advance your career by being able to solve problems at a larger scale, anticipate issues that you've encountered before, and work with other teams to get things accomplished. you become more valuable to the company.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

curufinor posted:

if you work at apple, there's a nonzero chance you'll get stuck in one of the many many teams where you're expected to answer 3am emails in 2 hours or your boss will yell at you
appreciably higher suicide rate than the rest of the tech industry, i think

lol what?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bhodi posted:

reminder that that brand new apple campus not only is too unique to resell space in but also has no day care space planned at all

the spaceship isn't large enough to hold more than a small percentage of the South Bay workforce. they would have to lay off 90% of their employees before they needed to resell space in there.

apple never had daycare facilities, which is bullshit.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

hello my name is biker mcwarmweather and i will be your new office neighbor :barf:

nice to meet you, I am a foreigner from a country where we don't shower. I hope you like the smell of my wife's cooking, I will be microwaving it at noon every day.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
rolling it over is much more of a pain than it needs to be

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cool av posted:

is cheating on tech interviews a thing? on "homework" I'd understand, but during an actual interview it seems like a terrible idea and it's pretty easy to tell

during a phone interview you often have people googling for the answer while they are talking. or they will have a friend listening in and telling them the answers or looking them up.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lancemantis posted:

we really need a software union, or at least some kind of professional organization at this point

a good one; not the AMA of CS

hi, you're in the job hopping for big figgies thread. perhaps you meant to post this in the cjs thread or better yet gbs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Arcsech posted:

sounds like a poo poo interviewer to me

yep, poo poo interviewer.

now, there are some interviewers that are poo poo, or are assholes, or are thinking of the smug solution to the problem that they looked up and you will never figure out. sometimes it's just a losing proposition. but other times they're just bad and you have to jump in and try to save it.

it seems like you tried, but he wasn't working with you. but you can't give up. sometimes you have to extract requirements from people against their will. so keep talking. write down the question and all other knowns on the board.
"there are four threads. 3 normal priority, one low priority".
"what happens to the low priority thread?"

start making and stating your assumptions.
"assuming we are on a preemptive multitasking OS"
"assuming the threads are not dependent on each other to run"

then draw some conclusions.
"the low priority thread could starve. in some schedulers, the low priority thread would not get to run as long as there are at least as many runnable normal priority threads as there are computing resources. if some of them block and free a CPU, that thread would get scheduled."

then start qualifying it with more cores, smarter schedulers that prevent starvation with dynamic priorities. then get into priority inversion, deadlocks, and priority inheritance. basically carry the interview by revealing how you're aware of all of the issues that his idiotic question implies.

or you could stand there holding your dick.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ciaphas posted:

how long do y'all wait after an application, or after an interview, before you accept/decide that you're not gonna hear anything ever from that company, and move on

i still want to find employment at IGT here but it's been a week and a half since I submitted my app and I haven't heard a peep

it's been so long since i've job hunted that i've even forgotten basic poo poo like this, lomarf

after an interview if I don't get a follow up from them in a week then they are dead to me.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

gonadic io posted:

Also everybody I'm applying to is talking about double my current salary or more, 6 figgies (usd, not 6 gbp figgies) here I come

sounds like you were wasting your time being underpaid.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

huhu posted:

Can anyone tell me what this means "You can purchase X shares of common stock from the company at an exercise price per share with a vesting schedule determined by the Board. " I understand the individual words I think but together I have no idea. For what it's worth, it's a private company. It looks like I should be asking what the price per share is? Anything else?

it means that they give you the option to buy X many shares of stock at a given price, regardless of what the market price is. that X is divided over a period of years, which is the vesting schedule. a fraction of it vests every few months or every year or so.

basically they say you can buy stock at regular intervals, if you choose to. and if the stock value is above your option price, you make the difference between the price you pay and the price you can sell it at.

now, at a private company all of this is all theoretical because the price of the stock is effectively zero until there is a market in which you can sell your shares. I.e. on IPO or purchase of the company they might actually be worth something.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

a very small horse posted:

i' m going from a scala job to a java job, and i'm kind of nervous about it because i've haven't programmed in java professionally

no one has ever programmed in java professionally

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
look, we all know you're leaving because either you hate your job or you want more money. we're going to pretend like you're doing it because you're excited about new opportunities, so do your part to maintain that illusion.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

JewKiller 3000 posted:

"the startup ran out of money" is always an acceptable excuse here in the silly con valley

I've used that a couple of times and they were both true. I'm partial to "I want to explore new opportunities and see how I can apply my experience in new areas". this was my way of making people who were painfully aware that they are not doing things at the level apple is that I will still consider working for them.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
new job status update: poo poo is hitting the fan at extreme velocity around here right now because of poor decisions by my predecessors. my colleagues are scrambling for a fix while I'm chilled out because this code is terminally hosed and none of it is my fault.

not to say that I'm not doing work, but this release is going to be poo poo and there's nothing I can do to stop that. my goal is to try to get future releases to be non-garbage.

The Management fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 29, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
braindead jobs are a good relief from mental effort. when you have to do them forever it is excruciating. that's why people that do them are high all the time.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

one of the execs at my job gave me a $150 gift card just for dropping everything and spending my evening driving a few hours out to a remote site to do an emergency hard drive swap (big computer controlled machine was down and impacting performance at the plant)

did you tell him you want a real bonus instead of peanuts being tossed at you?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
of all the interns I've seen come and go, the one I remember best is the one who chugged the bottle of barbecue sauce on a dare

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

it's for an internship with the Mass Storage EPM and Engineering team. I'm not sure what an EPM internship can accomplish over a short summer availability window, but that's one of my questions for them

the first round, in-person interview I had a week or so ago went pretty well, I think

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but summer is over.

if you're being called back you're already pretty good. they just have to clarify some stuff and figure out what to do with you.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FrozenVent posted:

what is this tube you speak off

some form of transportation for the masses?

lol I bet you're going to say it's run by a public entity next

it's a series of unventilated stairs loosely connected by bomb shelters.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

meatpotato posted:

How dumb of an idea is it to leave my boring and micromanaged but decently-paid job for a likely lesser-paying one that gives me way more control over my work and the company's product?

The current job makes a frivolous product (iot toys for rich people), the new job's product is potentially more useful (agricultural tech, but it's a startup)

I am planning to go to grad school in a year anyway, so that limits the damages somewhat if the new ag tech job turns out to be a poo poo decision

It's way too easy for me to just coast with my current job but I'm pretty unfulfilled by it and have thought about leaving for over a year

startups pay with equity. you're not going to be around long enough to collect on that (it's worthless anyway). if the job is interesting and you will learn something and advance in your career, go for it. go find interesting work while you're young and become an expert in it so you can keep working in that field instead of being well established somewhere that sucks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

All Too Much For Me posted:

cozy, but you need a mooring or be prepared to move often and occasionally outside London proper

and there's more boats than ever.

Mountain View has these but they are beat-up old RVs. apparently some people figured out that instead of buying a $2 million house you can buy a piece of poo poo RV to sleep in and take showers and eat at work. and they are multiplying rapidly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“eschaton”" post="“477035453”"]
these are homeless people not tech bros

unless tech bros are driving up the prices on street-parked RVs now too
[/quote]

nah. homeless people don't buy beat up old RVs and drive them to Mountain View and park them a mile from google headquarters.

• Locked thread