Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
shoulda just sent a picture of your dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

I also sent it two layers of management above me so lol. those two didn't even respond

I bet they had a good laugh at your balls. but they can't show it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

I try to do interviews in the morning, less chance of something lovely happening during the day to put you off your mood

I do them in the morning before I go into the office so I'm not distracted by stupid stuff happening at work. and also I can do them in my pajamas.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

fyi eschaton, they might ask you to show them my posts, lol. i warned them that they're full of swearing and bad grammar.

you mentioned your posting in a job interview?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

for storing programs for ternary computers?

and bit-fluid quantum computers.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Aquarium of Lies posted:

I got an oral job offer today :toot:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
okay so obviously referrals are the best, but after that, PYF job internets.

there's always LinkedIn, which is awful, but their weekly job emails have been somewhat decent lately. especially if you are looking for big companies.

I've been using indeed.com recently, which is kind of hit or miss but I like that it takes you to the actual company's website job posting.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
today's recruiter nonsense:

"which phone number would you prefer I leverage for this call?"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Maximo Roboto posted:

kinda wishing that i could quit my job and focus on prepping for interviews full time but obvs that's the dumbest possible decision, to forego income to cram whiteboarding questions all day and read CLRS, so instead I'll do InterviewBit or some other fluffy technical questions prep site

have you tried ignoring your current responsibilities at work and doing interview practice on the clock?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

devmd01 posted:

my current company is gonna be in a world of hurt for a while without me, I may need to have ambulance waiting outside in case my boss has a heart attack when I drop notice.

then they should be doing everything they can to keep you happy and not even needing to search for a new job. why aren't they doing that?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I've seen a couple of people in my life that can produce great code at a rate far above everyone else. these people are extremely rare, tend to have special positions with outstanding responsibilities, and they make a shitload of money. one of them is mostly a sociopath and they put up with him because he's so good at what he does.

your average startup guy who claims to be a 10x-er is confusing working long hours with actual ability.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I started out in the mail room and now I'm the CEO.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I liked my job a lot and had golden handcuffs for a while there so moving was not really an option. these days they aren't quite handcuffs anymore and while I still do some cool poo poo I bet I could find plenty of interesting stuff elsewhere

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Maximo Roboto posted:

Anyone here tried Hired? It's an okay platform, but especially fun to lol @ the various seed stage places who are hard up looking for people and approach you even if you're under-qualified for the senior elite ninja 10x positions they advertise for. I guess it's like browsing Angelist startups except they come to you.

hmm, seems interesting. Angelist is all awful, is it any better?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

make awful.app worse like i do

make polls work already. I'm paying you nothing and I expect results.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i nailed it to the wall

go get those figgies, friends

stack those figgies boyee

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
but it's a dry heat

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don't like doing those kinds of things. they make me feel bad even though I tend to do pretty well in interviews

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PokeJoe posted:

i had to reverse a string for my current job.

it's amazing how many people fail this one.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol, hired.com wants 7 days to approve my profile. also they ask for a base salary. I went very high, let's see how that goes.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

hope you like interviewing with startups that will just waste your time on the basis that your "base" salary will definitely be comparable to peanuts + lottery tickets!!!

I do enjoy laughing at those kinds of offers so this might be entertaining.

also lol if base is all we're talking about.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
recruiter asked me on the phone today how much I'm making. I told her I want to know how much I'm worth to them. she let that go but not before disclaiming that they are a startup and therefore don't have that much cash and but they do have equity! also strongly implied that I will need to tell them what it was when we have a frank discussion about it later in the process because their CTO is a straight shooter or whatever.

lol.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm trying something new with my resumé. instead of a list of accomplishments, each job details section reads like a paragraph. it's actually longer but easier to read and hopefully not terribly boring.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

is it more than a page?

yes: try again

no: ok thanks

nope. well, page 2 has literally a pile of buzzwords on it for database searches and that's it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

chmods please posted:

i may or may not have put in my two weeks' notice the day after my boss gave me a glowing annual review, oops

did the raise go through and the bonus check clear?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

I quit my job a month after my bonus, it's for last year's performance

this is correct. bonus is for work already done. if you did the work, you deserve the bonus.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

vodkat posted:

I was trying to email in an application last night, and it kept bouncing, I double checked the address was right several times even going back and copy/pasting it from the advert. Since the deadline was the next day I panicked and sent an email to the guy I knew was actually going to be choosing applicants and let them know that the email address in the advert wasn't working. 30 minutes later I return to a flurry of emails I'd been CC'ed into where it turns out there was a typo in the email listed in advert that literally spelt the name of the company wrong and I hadn't noticed :suicide:

you failed the attention to detail test but may have saved it with proactive and communicates well.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol hired.com can't find embedded software jobs in the Bay Area

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Maximo Roboto posted:

passed a tech screen, then shortly after the congratulatory email an updated message notifies that the position is on a hold for budgetary reasons. lol well

much better than taking the job and then finding out they're financially hosed

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
new hires at my current place aren't expected to be able to do anything productive for the first month.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it takes me a long time to configure my coding rig

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
first onsite interview of the season scheduled. time to brush up on those data structures and algorithms

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
any decent programmer should be able to write a simple function on a whiteboard in a language they know well. yes, it is challenging to write in a whiteboard, and you shouldn't be doing something that takes a ton of code or a bunch of convoluted logic, it should be very straight forward.

implement atoi(), for example, without any library functions.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BONGHITZ posted:

forgetting to write return on the white board is an automatic fail

nope. coding on a whiteboard under pressure is hard and humans make dumb mistakes. I try to find out if it's because they don't understand how to program or because they just didn't notice. usually you can tell by the rest of their code.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i will never ask candidates to write code on a whiteboard. not only because high-pressure whiteboarding is a terrible approximation of real development work, but more importantly because the entire style of quiz-question interviewing is bankrupt and useless

quiz questions are dumb and bad. ask questions that are simple, have no trick to them, and demonstrate programming proficiency.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

JewKiller 3000 posted:

that was almost fishmech-like, how you addressed the assumed implication of a tiny part of my post, rather than the actual point therein

i don't care if your quiz is "fair", i'm saying your entire methodology of interviewing is wrong

okay, let me address your main point:
writing on a whiteboard is a communication and presentation exercise. the point is to convey how you approach problems and reason about them and if you can explain that to the interviewer. it is a discussion. the resulting code is a collaboration derived from the interviewee gathering requirements and feedback from on their approach.

if I just wanted them to bang out something, it would be much faster on keyboard and it would also tell me very little about them.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

devmd01 posted:

so I did a director interview before Christmas, a team interview last week, and now they want to have a follow up phone call with one of the team members tomorrow? I'm glad I'm still in contention but what the hell, the first two should have been enough.

are you a time traveler or are they interviewing you backwards?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

title inflation means the director could just be the team lead in which case it's normal

a director is an executive, not an employee, and is subject to different laws in all kinds of cases (particularly stock regulation). any idiot can't just call himself a director at most companies.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jre posted:

Director is a specific role with legally enforced responsibilities in the UK which appears not to be the case in the US then. I've seen places where director has to micromanage every hire and its a :redflag:

Appointing a director requires submitting documentation to companies house for example, so its not an empty title here.

in the US companies get to declare who their executives are (there's no official titles below some C*O). but in most large companies, at least public ones, director is an executive role and has the legal responsibilities of an officer of the company.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i have two offers plus a major award and raise at current job (which i like )

dunno what to do

first decide if you want to stay or move. why did you look for a job in the first place? more money doesn't fix problems, it just lets you ignore them for a while (unless the problem was not enough money). if you stay, will you be fed up and looking for another job a year from now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
argh, I loving hate LinkedIn. what a piece of poo poo site and app

• Locked thread