Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
We got a new "engineering" manager and this has been changed in a horrifying way.

quote:

- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions

After 6 months, this manager still does not know what language we use for the backend.
Makes amazing claims like "it's all the same langauge right? just copy paste".
Makes everyone set up "P1 pagerduty calls" but never assigns himself any of the shifts.
Also is amazingly smug when dropping "knowledge bombs" like "did you know hdfs was used by google for log analysis?"

The only thing keeping my sane is the coworker slack group used to laugh at him during our mandatory FORTY FIVE MINUTE daily standup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

poty posted:

in my opinion once you have a few years of experience its more profitable when changing jobs to have better projects and a line about how X number of people report to you on your resume than to give a higher current salary quote on your interview (and doubly so since you can lie about it anyway as has been discussed)

we have a person with the role "distinguished architect"
he has no reports, but reports directly to the VP who reports to CTO

as far as I can tell, he basically plays with new langauges and technologies all day, create demos on the internal enterprise github, and yell at teams for how dumb they are to use some poo poo tier java infrastructure.

as a reclusive goon who can only yell at people instead of "managing" them, how do i get this position

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

it's a pretty hosed up story, but otoh maybe they saw the header image on his blog cos that would make me doubt he's a legit software engineer also

even if it wasn't a gimmick, he's already starting on a bad foot with that syntax

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
apple does not care if you use google search but might if you use an android

google does not care if you use iphones but will care if you use bing unironically, as any company should

Also i had a zune and dumbphone at apple during the iphone4 era and it was fine.
It was mostly just a novelty for my coworkers.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

lol if you don't just sit down w/ the candidate and ask them to talk about their previous work because you're not confident enough to spot a bullshitter from a mile off

some call it profiling, but what do i know

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
weird hacks for simple solutions means they might be broken in the brain

a few days ago, i ran into a production code bug that hosed up a encryption because they wanted to be cute with System.arraycopy. The actual hard part was already an apache library. The code was just splitting strings into 16 byte chunks and padding

It's been live for 2 years which means my job is completely meaningless anyways

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

double ohm seven posted:

i switched jobs and title from "senior full stack developer" to "team lead/scrum master" and the number of cold calls from recruiters has fallen like a loving rock lol

i didn't know that could be a full time position

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

fart simpson posted:

air quality in shenzhen isn't too bad

uhhhhhhhhhh

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

They're called "trails" and pedestrians walk on them. Somehow the cyclists figure out a way to go around the people.

i get super scared when a cyclist pass me at a narrow section and there's cliff on 1 side. one poorly timed hand wave would end extremely badly.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

update: at the job I was on my way out, they just fired the entire ops team. our bus factor is now -1, nobody knows how our production environment works, and they guys they fired told the CEO i could figure it out

do i ask for a 30% or 50% raise?

(75 * #_of_people_fired)%

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

at redhat, background checks were super important because 9 times out of 10, the applicant would send in a screenshot of KDE with some waifu visible behind the layers of compositing. no thanks.

i always wonder where those people go, or try to go to

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

printers owner scanned it and emailed it out to the whole company

is this middle school?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
your case is why explain exists
dbs are written by humans and have limited engineering effort devoted to them.

some are also just plain bad.
e.g. mysql is notoriously garbage at subqueries/relational calc. it would often run the inner query on every row joined to the outer query instead of doing the inner query once.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

I had my first "live coding" interview. I did embarrassing terrible. no where to go but up, right?

nerves always get me on the first couple interviews
writing a thing from scratch is surprisingly hard when you've been only fixing stuff or adding to existing systems for 6+ months

before an interview, think of a simple problem to do on your own and write it into a blank file or piece of paper, the momentum helps jog my brain into active beep boop thinking mode. car analog 1st gear etc

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
moreso than bad interview questions, I wish it was easier to fire people once you realize they're poo poo instead letting them stay forever and making everyone else hate their job a bit more or leaving.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i'm a java/javascript expert

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
don't post my evangelion fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
this is beginning to sound like a buttcoin scheme

• Locked thread