Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
im the informal chat with the recruiter at the start of the process of applying to a company that is in no way an interview

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io posted:

im the informal chat with the recruiter at the start of the process of applying to a company that is in no way an interview

luckily I have the correct skin tone and genitalia to be a cultural fit

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Thanks Ants posted:

cargo culture

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
goddamn it's good to be job hunting when you're happy to stay at your current position if you don't find anything. completely different experience.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Also everybody I'm applying to is talking about double my current salary or more, 6 figgies (usd, not 6 gbp figgies) here I come

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The Management posted:

sounds like you were wasting your time being underpaid.

Let me tell you about my stock options

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I mean I'm a little concerned that my 2 years of scala is going to tie me to it forever unless I want a huge pay cut back to a junior role

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

a very small horse posted:

i' m going from a scala job to a java job, and i'm kind of nervous about it because i've haven't programmed in java professionally

Imagine scala without any of the good things, or the bad things, or any of the things.

Java the language is the most mundane language ever, it has none of the features that you currently depend on.
It's not even like you get better libraries moving from scala to java, although you do get to escape from all the lovely scala ones.
Tell me it's at least java 8.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

qhat posted:

Lol. Never poo poo talk your old management even if they did suck. This is like rule 1.

Hey, free therapy

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Probably going to decline a second interview at a company who want me back. Never done it before, but I don't really want to have to raise a startup from the toddler years onwards in exchange for less pay

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

eschaton posted:

was your reply that this kind of question is illegal as it's not related to the job duties or qualifications?

culture fit!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
had a chat with an engineer about their team today - every question about their practices was met with "we're moving towards doing that" except for "do you use git".

they're starting to push back against product demanding they skip writing tests to poo poo things out into prod faster! hurrah! they're thinking about CI/integration tests! they're considering an event-sourcing infrastructure!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Luigi Thirty posted:

it’s confirmed the figgies are mine :toot:

offer letter coming soon

Gratz. C++?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Our father in heaven, grant us your figgies

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

HoboMan posted:

hey the stack of figgies in my closet is getting too large. where is the financial advice thread? tia

You're in the UK right? I work for a wealth manager, could get you a discount.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Whoops, just accidentally let my manager know that I'm interviewing at other places.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I asked for time off and he jokingly said only if it wasn't for an interview and I went deer in headlights.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's traditional to print letters of resignation from work printers right?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
well that's it then

notice given, looking forward to my 50% ( including bonus and bennies it's close to double) raise at newjob

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i handed over the notice letter during the discussion and was immediately asked to email it out instead

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Janitor Prime posted:

grats on the figgies

Still not quite at 6 figgies usd given the exchange rate these days

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ratbert90 posted:

I don't think I have had to take a piss test for the last 11 years. Or when I started being paid to program for a living.

I just assumed most jobs above 60k a year didn't require a piss test. :shrug:

It's to make sure you're a culture fit. If it comes up clean you get rejected

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah we got forklifts and big trucks and poo poo where i work, it's pretty understandable they don't want anyone wandering out into the warehouse while high.

if this is the case they'd test regularly

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

the UK kinda sucks to live in tbh

i moved away and its p good, quality of life + figgies + infrastructure is much better elsewhere

brexit may well throw a spanner in the works for me tho

i got my irish citizenship :q:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Thanks Ants posted:

need to sort mine out. do you remember who they were happy with when getting your documents / photo notarised?

and how long did it take?

It's some bullshit like priests or teachers or police or lawyers who know you. I just went with my family parish head but you could probably pay a lawyer a little. It tookike 6 to 8 mo

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io posted:

It's some bullshit like priests or teachers or police or lawyers who know you. I just went with my family parish head but you could probably pay a lawyer a little. It tookike 6 to 8 mo

it's off-topic, but https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/great-britain/our-services/citizenship/born-outside-ireland/foreign-births-registration-guide/

quote:

Witnessing your application
Before you send your application form to the relevant office, you must have it witnessed by an appropriate person.

Who can be a witness?

The witness must be from one of the following professions only and :

(a) Must be currently residing and practicing in the UK

(b) Must not be related in any way to the Applicant

Police Officer (including collar number and Station Stamp if available)
Members of the Clergy (We define a member of the Clergy as a person who can officiate at Ceremonies e.g. Baptisms, Weddings, Funerals etc.)
Medical Doctor (Must be registered with the General Medical Council)
Solicitor (Must be registered with the Law Society)
Bank Manager/Building Society Manager
School Principal/Head Teacher
Head of Department at University/College
Magistrate/Judge
If applicant/parent is being identified to the witness by a third party, the third party must be personally known to both witness and applicant/parent.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Doom Mathematic posted:

Alas, talking is illegal on the Tube.

Not all talking. You're allowed to apologise as long as you don't make eye contact.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

qhat posted:

Funny, people used to apologise for walking past me. Lol.

you were in their way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
free breakfast at work! served until 9.

• Locked thread