Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm looking for work now, it's the worst

my first 2 in-person interviews I knew in under 5 minutes I didn't want to work there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my last interview the manager gave me a whiteboard problem but apparently had a single right solution he wanted but didn't give any hints towards and he also didn't know enough about the subject to answer my basic "who's buying this?" or "how complex is the average system?" he just wanted some magic iot bullshit answer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if there's still a 25 minute line for the men's bathrooms in amazon hq

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

recruiter spam this morning

--4+month contract (bestill my beating heart) doing "devops things" for intel in portland
"We'll fly you in on mondays and out thursdays"

lmao gently caress off

you could probably ride that out for 18 months but even if you wanted to put yourself through that intel isn't actually in portland, it's in the suburban hellsprawl surrounding it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

finally finished my portfolio site, responsive design is exhausting and I did really easy stuff

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

laffo I've only made two real professional enemies in my career and they're both in management positions at companies I want to work at

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

after my holiday break I have 2 phone interviews next week

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you can tolerate working in finance there's charlotte which has bofa and wells but lol at living in a carolina

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

mediocre business poo poo pays good, has actual longterm sustainability, and won't pay you entirely in fake stock. it's not glamourous but it'll let you live nice when you retire.
I'm not telling anyone to work for a bank because I got so bored I quit without a new job but it took me 8 years of reasonable hours and excellent benefits to get that bored

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bloody posted:

it was a genuine accident but also genuinely owned

notice.pdf != signed.pdf

did you have your new offer letter on your work computer?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

my phone interview is in 30 mins but i'm getting nervous because i had a customer call earlier and i got all mushmouthed for no reason.

I try to do interviews in the morning, less chance of something lovely happening during the day to put you off your mood

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol "position open in san francisco and seattle" apparently actually means "must be willing to relocate to seattle"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most product managers have mbas since "doing budget arithmetic" can only be taught for 50,000/year

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think I found a posting for what might be the exact job I want next...

but it's at another bank, this one even more blatantly hand-wringingly evil than the last one :smith:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

You could always just destroy them from the inside

just spent 8 years doing that

but hey in trump's america it might be nice to be on the guaranteed winning side

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

also enjoy the fact that they're conservative as gently caress with EVERYTHING so they never ever ever rush

at least that's been my experience with banking shops

yeah at old bank there was a bit of crunch time but I went home by 5 like 95% of the time

turnaround on applications getting published is like 2-3 years so a 3 week slip is no big deal

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

well I solved the mystery of "seeing no hits to my portfolio site," I deleted the analytics script the last time I updated it :eng99:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I quit my job a month after my bonus, it's for last year's performance

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

lol hired.com can't find embedded software jobs in the Bay Area

yeah I got nothing for UX design except to a helpful tip to add python, rails and angular to my profile

I'm pretty sure they have basically no inventory beyond a few generic webdev jobs at bad places

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh my god some of these contracting companies are so stupid on rates, no I'm not going to take what I was making 8 years ago because there's "potential to go permanent" that just means they'll lowball me on permanent salary too

St Evan Echoes posted:

just started newjob yesterday, how typical is it that you dont do poo poo for the first while?

one job I had a while back they didn't even get me a computer for 2 weeks

just chill and introduce yourself to people

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I applied for a job that was like a perfect match for my skills and experience and when I went back to the website to look at it they removed the posting the next day

I'd guess they lost budget for the position but forgot to remove it from the hr system until they saw me use it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idg why contract staffing firms are so loving stupid about rates, I know they're billing $100-120/hr to the client so like don't play coy when I ask for most of it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I mean of course they want to pay some chump like $50 but if your brief says "must have 5-8 years of experience" there's a good chance most of the qualified candidates have employed someone from one of those same agencies and knows the math

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one of my friends used to be a recruiter and she was telling me this story about how when she was at a large tech company they moved a manager from sales operations to run recruiting and this new VP decided to set "stretch goals" for the recruiters that were 3x the current number of open reqs. so the recruiters busted their asses, hit the stretch goals and got a bonus but 2/3 of the people they'd "hired" didn't actually have available positions

so yeah if you ever interviewed at a place known for its ball pits and then got an offer 3-9 months after you interviewed now you know why

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wow I might get 9 grand after taxes if I stay at this bad company for 2 more years and all other things go exactly as planned

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's tiers of options:
1. founder poo poo. you got all your shares for free and you'll be gently caress you rich if it pans out
2. rank and file, everything going perfect means you can get a fully loaded 3-series out of it
3. everyone else where it's barely worth exercising because of the extra tax paperwork

expecting all those people to work together productively is insane, especially since all the execs are tier 1 and everyone else is lower

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's spaces in between those but a director who's a 1 telling all his 2s and 3s to work all weekend is stupid [but it works more than it should]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bloody posted:

if you're a 2 and not getting at least a year's salary out of your options (which should be more than a fully loaded 3 series) you have hosed up

after taxes?

I know some of the trendier companies do RSUs even for rank and file but most places still do options as far as I know and options are a great way to watch 150k turn into 55 [and that's if everything goes right]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

relevant to this thread: found this while cleaning out some old papers

if I find the letter they sent me explaining that they're worthless maybe I'll get them framed together

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

eh i just have way too much cash saved up and really should convert it into index funds but i feel like the day i do that is the day the s&p finally craters

i'm bad at money :saddowns:

dollar cost averaging is good if you're a money wuss like me, buy the same $ amount every week/month and over time you absorb volatility
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_cost_averaging

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

every single goddamn person on earth has the "best" way to invest, while DCA is not going to give the best possible return [by design] it's a way to reduce nervousness about when to buy in and schedule regular investment contributions where a lot of people just buy some stock then let it sit there. you probably shouldn't do it weekly though that's total overkill

someone who maxed out on spdr in september 2007 would have had to live with it underwater for six years which isn't fun and loving laffo if you think this inflated rear end market we're in now is going to keep going up like it is now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

current job hunt status: refactoring resume after getting blanked on roles that I'm basically perfect for

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a friend who works at VMware and likes it but I don't know how much Dell culture has seeped in

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"must be willing to work with toxic shitheads"

e: speaking of which I have an interview with a consulting company next week

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 3, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

had an in-person today, the people and company seem nice but the office is in an exurban hellscape of strip malls and chain restaurants that's about an hour away on bart. they say I'd only need to be on site 2 days a week but I'm not sure if they really meant it

have a second round interview with a consulting company tomorrow, in case I've decided I want to hate myself

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol I just got a duplicate contract job post from a different agency than the first one that told me about it and the rate they're offing is thirty five dollars an hour lower than the first company that told me about it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The rate is negotiable and the recruiters are just guessing

from what I've seen for most W2 contract places the rate is set and the only possible negotiation is between the agency and the employee

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

those may be different levels of seniority for similar positions or something

nah it's the exact same job, it's normal to see differences of 15-20 between agencies but I've never seen 35 before, somebody needs to hit their q1 numbers I think

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just got a call from a finance company that somehow included both "customers open new accounts" and "virtual reality" in the job description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have to do a lot of presentations but I'm a designer so I have a portfolio I can show. asking someone to do an original presentation seems lame

• Locked thread