Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I'm still stuck on how a skills test is more racist than literally any other part of the hiring process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

your project is going to add 36 million in revenue and they managed to squirm out of a 40k raise by saying they didn't have the money

just thought id point that out

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

fart simpson posted:

nobody. that one guy thought 6.5 figgies was 150k

legit wondering what 6.5 figgies is supposed to mean

e: im dumb

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

sup my figgies

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I don't really mind being contacted by recruiters and I'm not against using one, but the messages from recruiters about helpdesk work is starting to get really old.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

FMguru posted:

are you SURE youre not interested in a 3 month 1099 temp contract doing it site support for half your current salary in another city two time zones away?

*Said into a McDonald's drive thru*

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

*Company recruiter, dying of thirst in the desert finds an oasis*

"I'm giving this water an opportunity to be drank!"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

qhat posted:

I'm a C++/perl/python/SQL developer and I once had a recruiter call me to offer me a technical support role and then got really offended when I told her I'm strictly and obviously a programmer.

IT in and of itself is an industry buzzword and a lot of people just assume it's a term that encompasses all jobs that involve "computer stuff".

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

qhat posted:

so that I wouldn't have to explain why it wasn't completed yet.

"Well, as of...*looks at watch-less wrist*...right now I don't work here anymore."

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I've been reading the workplace stack exchange site as a "Dear-Abby" type guilty pleasure. Some types of posts I've noticed that keep popping up are:

"Can I get in trouble for [felony/industry blacklist-level offense]?" <--Asked very nonchalantly

"I see you've made yourself more efficient at your job by automating something. Good job obsoleting yourself IDIOT, prepare to be fired!" <--Always has 20+ upvotes

"Is it legal to be chained to my desk and not get paid what I was promised? WebDev in Texas btw."

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the best was when the ceo was getting literally cucked by his 10x dev and he was like "but if i fire him my company is done for :qq:". talk about double cucked

I hate conflict, please give me a magical, confrontation-free solution that will solve this serious business situation that inherently involves conflict.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

i think he is being a dumb person who uses cuck to mean any kind of betrayal and the dev was doing work somewhere else on the side.

god that stupid meme has made the internet harder to read.

No the story was the CEO was literally cucked by one of his employees:

https://workplace.stackexchange.com/questions/7617/how-should-i-deal-with-an-employee-who-has-slept-with-my-wife

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Got a mass email from university career services in my alumni mailbox that was a followup of another email from a year ago. Some guy (who I looked up on LinkedIn, he's a Director of IT e-commerce at a global hospitality company) was thinly veiling his disgust that he go no takers for some pet-project of his:

quote:

Dear Ms. [Career Services Director]:
Back in September I wrote to you about seeking a student of yours who may wish to help me build a web site. I never heard back, and just wanted to ask again. After all, I find it hard to believe that none of them would like to earn extra cash doing something that they may often do for pleasure.
I thank you for your time.
~[Guy]

Original email included no info on expected pay, required time, desired skills, and was a giant wall of text.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I have no idea, the original email includes the text:

quote:

My website vision is this:
Imagine a web site such as those used by retailers, with various filters and internal search engine capabilities. E-Bay is a good example.
The difference is that with my web site, there is nothing to purchase. Instead, it is a depository for student papers that others from around the world can read.

I have no idea if this thing is supposed to make money or what.

Mostly lol tho @ doing webdev for pleasure. I do webdev on hobby projects when I need a browser interface to the actually fun stuff to make dude.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

which guy. there' s a lot of them

RISCy Business posted:

[don't wake daddy commercial voice] don't quote stymie!

Arcsech posted:

"cucking?!" stymie stymies in the door and just keeps stymieing, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. he stymies against your toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's stymieing at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "i'm an secular statist, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ShadowHawk posted:

This is a Linked In request yes?

The reason for this is that they don't have to pay the linked in fee if you respond, positively or negatively, to the message. If you just ignore it then they have to pay.

Could've fooled me. My LinkedIn inbox looks more like a spam email account then a career networking inbox at this point.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

recruiters are The loving Worst

e:

cheque_some posted:

I usually just say "computer stuff" and that satisfies the majority of people

The worst is when people don't know "tech" insist on more information

*long explanation*
So...software or hardware? :smug:
How long has it been since that was a relevant question for most jobs

My dad does consulting work directly with business owners and when I was looking for my first internship in college I made the mistake of agreeing to interview with one of his clients that "did stuff with computers".

Turns out they were a 3rd party helpdesk company and they tried to offer me a 12 week unpaid internship rather than just part ways when we realized that the position had very little to do with my education.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 7, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ADINSX posted:

What do you have in your profile that has recruiters hitting you up?

I've been developing software for about 10 years now. I get a request from a recruiter a couple of times a month, but nothing like the deluge some people complain about. My guess is its because I have no front end experience (that I advertise on linkedin)

It might be the webdev stuff but I'm guessing it's just because I'm really young so recruiters see that as me being more likely to be willing to relocate and also be less attached to a technology or industry.

Also I'm in the Twin Cities, Madison/Milwaukee, Chicago belt which apparently has almost no unemployed devs but tons of dev positions. The only problem for me is that a ton of the positions I'm finding want people with 3+ years of experience which I can sort of say I have if I include internships.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

last week of work at this job bless up

hail satan

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

hobbesmaster posted:

there's good c++ compilers for m series arm processors at least

speaking of which my company has openings for embedded and web developers. hr appears to have merged the requirements into one listing and put everything under "required". :ughh:

Is this why every job description I look at that sounds like a good fit for me has a bunch of seemingly random and irrelevant required skills I don't have?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

It's me, the guy replacing the word "Engineer" or "Developer" with "Magician" in job listings.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

qhat posted:

Looking for a ROCKSTAR developer to work at our AWESOME offices. To apply, email your totally rad resume, cover letter, and a picture of a cat wearing a hat. Applications without these items will not be considered.

I think these jobs are specifically posted like this to prevent people from actually applying because the job doesn't exist. They're actually just a covert way to hide keywords for a sleeper agent to read and be activated.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

qhat posted:

More like try driving in London. It's exactly that except but with added chaos since the roads aren't a grid.

even more hosed up, I hear they drive on the left side of the road

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

qhat posted:

When I moved to Canada from the UK, driving was ultra weird for the first day or so, as in staying on the correct side is actually really easy, but you end up looking in the wrong mirrors to turn and using the wrong hands for gear changes (if you're part of the manual drive master race that is)

I've shifted with my left hand before and as a right handed guy: it blows.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

raminasi posted:

they don't think that geometry applies to them. I've been in a bike lane wide enough for exactly one bike, surrounded by cars on both sides, and had other cyclists try to pass me.

look man the wheels make a plane which is 2D, duh...

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Milwaukee has pretty good drivers for the most part. It's when you have a bunch of SUVs and mini-vans from the suburbs trying to get downtown and clogging up the road and double-parking that you have problems.

Chicago has a lot of aggressive drivers but it's half good and half bad. The good half are aggressive because they need to navigate traffic to get where they're going and they don't gently caress around. The bad half are aggressive because they need to fit in someone's 1-car-length safety gap slightly ahead of where they are and arrive at their destination in the same amount of time anyway.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

Yeah outside of the zoo interchange Milwaukee traffic is pretty good. Milwaukee is good.

when you finally complete your hero's journey and return I'm sure all these construction projects will finally be donAHAHAHA....

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

FamDav posted:

input is restricted to 5 digits

1e420

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Diva Cupcake posted:

i assume this is my infrastructure and security experience leaking but expecting a reply within a 3 hour window for a critical issue seems p reasonable. having the ceo text you just to see if you have the moxie is v dumb though.

If this is something that you want me to be concerned about as a part of my job then I'm fine with that as long as it's clearly laid out as a part of the requirements and I'm getting paid for it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

huhu posted:

How often do third party recruiters actually have a position I couldn't just find on Indeed or the company's website?

Related question: is it bad if I go around a recruiter and apply to a clearly visible job opening even if I first heard about it from said recruiter?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

PokeJoe posted:

No, you don't owe recruiters anything because they sent you a cold email out of the blue. Unless it's an internal recruiter in which case why go around them at all

I've been taking with this guy for about a week and he's sent me a few "opportunities" that turned out to be public postings. Seems like a bit of a dick move but I guess it's fair.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

FMguru posted:

i think most places use dhcp for ip assignment

boo this man

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Janitor Prime posted:

Hey guys I'm trying to create a job posting and can't come up with the right title for this position. Basically, I need someone who can do the following:
  • Willing to travel to other countries for extended trips, up to a month at a time
  • Collect measurements in the field using custom phones and test software
  • Plan the logistics of getting the necessary equipment into the field
  • Analyze the data and actually interpret it to realize if something is wrong in the field and troubleshoot what the problems are
  • Generate reports from the data to read out to the customers

I think a Field Engineer is the right title, but is there something better than that?

Field Support Test Guru Wizard Rockstar Engineer

just picture the business card scene from American Psycho but the business cards get progressively larger to accommodate longer and more obnoxious titles

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

"Let's see Paul Allen's card"

*The sound of a semi backing up gets progressively louder*

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

stealing engineer valor owns

*Looks at employee's lanyard*

"Excuse me sir but a real engineer would be using a hip clip for his badge. Do you even know what it means to be ABET accredited?"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

"How can we retain our devs better?"

*Goes Fatal Attraction on Interviewees*

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I always chuckle a little at stories where companies try to play hardball when acquiring devs because those openings seem to never get filled seeing how the listing stays up for months and months.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Milwaukee is good, people never believe me and then they visit and go "huh, it's actually good". It's not that expensive to live in and it's got a lot of cool poo poo. You just have to deal with the rest of WI that isn't Madison or Green Bay (only for the Packers) existing.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Schadenboner posted:

Green Bay is literally an on/off ramp, a lovely UW campus (somehow even worse than UWM :laffo:) and Lambeau.

That and a CVS full of people with a methamphetamine abuse disorder.

i mean we gotta put the packers somewhere

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

My current job lets me work from home and I've exercised the option on occasion but there's no way I'm taking a fully remote job right now because there's like a 30% chance that I spend half my time jerking off thanks to Ritalin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lol if you don't get paid to jack off

sadly i only get the benefit of being paid to poo poo right now

• Locked thread