Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

moron recruiter: hurr, do a fizzbuzz

nerdlord phone screener: please list all of the uses of the keyword 'static' in c in alphabetical order

on-site interviewer: why do you want to work for us, generic b2b analytics company 3001

Rex-Goliath posted:

- who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role
- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions
- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?
- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?
- what sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here
- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently
- What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?
- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met
- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do

Bloody fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol, just lol if people arent throwing job offers at you non-stop with no interview

oh I'm lollin

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I was giving examples of standard interview tropes not seeking specific interview feedback hth

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Valeyard posted:

There is like a trio of banks in my city with a lot of tech jobs, its very common for people to just ping pong between them. It's always the fastest way to promotion

we widely acknowledge internally that our fastest promotion track is to leave and come back in a year

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it suggests that the organization knows it undervalues its employees and doesnt care at all because the organization is rotting

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya. its insanely stupid on the company's part. long-tenured employees are good because they build up loads of institutional knowledge but if you don't promote people and the only way to get raises is to leave welp you're gonna lose that institutional knowledge over and over

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya it's also a problem if you're bored but if you're being paid competitively then well it could be worse

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my dumbest interview was an on-site where i was "interviewed" by a fresh-out kid with a bachelor's in mechanical engineering who had been hired for a programming job and started 3 days prior and did not know anything about programming or interviewing and was supposed to be interviewing me for a programming job

it was a dumb waste of an hour but i did get the offer which i declined because l o l

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

g e t p a i d

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tfw they offer u low six figges

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Leck posted:

saaaame. say, anyone want to crony me up a new job?

sure but its in boston and not good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the only downside is the people spamming u on LinkedIn are absolute imbeciles

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

computer engineering is where you turn physics into bits and logic gates and pile abstractions high enough to run an assembly language (mips. it's always mips)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MrMoo posted:

Technical interview targeting C++ and networking protocols, what are the chances of not being a trivia quiz?

0%

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

did you then also build a prototype

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Christ that sounds wretched

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

templeos

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

idk why people are so hung up on whiteboards, are you short or something

lovely handwriting plus totally different from my normal work environment rendering me much less capable, mostly.

love em for block diagrams tho

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c interview s: got an onsite later today, looking forward to language trivia time and toy problem whiteboard time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well gonna add that one to the growing list of jobs I won't get

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

crushing mediocrity

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Uncle Enzo posted:

i was offered my position on the basis of my resume and a single 45 minute multi party audio-only telephone interview. it occurred to me as i showed up at the front desk my first day that no one had even seen a picture of me. i relocated my family 800 miles to a town i'd never heard of.

was nervous the first day, but they had everything ready for me. spent 2 hours filling out new-hire paperwork, then they showed me to my cube that a few of my co-workers had stocked with office supplies. the logins they gave me worked and i was able to get started training immediately. they handed me a 3-ring full of specifications and told me where to start.

what the hell fantasy world is this from

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also who wants to hire me to do poo poo in boston/new York/dc I'm good at touching computers thanks in advance this job search poo poo's gettin me worn out

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

come to dc so i can enable your alcoholism bloody

oh hellll yeah

mishaq posted:

but actually don't because it's terrible here

actually, its good (my brother lives there and my brother is awesome & fun & whenever I visit dc it is super mega fun)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hire me anyways, boston is bad too

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

bloody come to detroit

absolutely not

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk I do a lotta random poo poo. I do fpga and microcontroller stuff by jobtitle but most of my job enjoyment happens in c# development or tooling work (c#/Haskell lmao) I don't really know what I want to do and that's kind of been loving over my job search for the past year+

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I work for money. how do I make the most money

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually hft is good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

the job im moving to in the new year involves working on hft software

gonna stack that paper and try my best to sleep at night

hire me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

worst parts of hft are probably that you might have to write c or verilog

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how do I get them to give me money to build nyc London ocean floor waveguide links

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this thread took a goony turn

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if you book your own interview travel

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I work on novel problems and still basically my entire job is implementing obvious poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeeeeaah, well, that question really is not a lot to ask of people who are supposed to be programming as a profession. even if you don't implement trees that much an awful lot of code does involve at least *walking* a tree of objects, so this seems solidly on the side of reasonable

i would identify as a programmer and i have literally never ever used a tree in my paid job. even outside of my job they have come up at best very rarely; i can think of only one instance, ever, where i used something resembling a tree in something resembling production code

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i literally don't even know what is special about a binary search tree without looking it up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if that is the same thing as a hash table, yes. are those secretly binary search trees

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya like tree of some sort makes sense for sure. idk what makes a bst a bst though and if someone asked me in an interview id just say uhhhh until they told me to leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what the standard library does doesn't seem that important, but in all jobs i have had there has certainly been elements of e.g. walking a tree of financial contract types, or users in potentially nested groups, or perhaps even the DOM at times. using search in an ordered binary tree as a standin for getting to verify that the applicant can at least in principle do these things seems fine

i am sure there are jobs where different skills are called for, but i can certainly see the use of that question from the perspective of things i have done

ya there definitely useful in a bunch of applications and if your application happens to be one of those then by all means use it in your interviews

• Locked thread