Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk it all just kinda irks me because i assume any decent dev can pick up basically any new thing in a few weeks or months which is pretty much always feasible here at least so id rather just interview people on like "are you good at googling stuff" and "are you good at learning new problem domains or concepts or technologies" than "do you already know specific technology x" even if specific technology x is a relatively common data structure. like i didnt know poo poo about lock-free thread-safe collections before my current project and now they're a central underpinning to it so like i'd rather find people that can figure out that part than people who just already know the thing. i also realize that this approach probably doesnt apply everywhere and i also have no idea how you'd interview for it in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

good news fam I got a job offer in seattle doing :jeb: stuff and I'm prob gonna take it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

triple sulk posted:

what is :jeb: stuff btw

it is building spaceships for jeffy b

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

& thanks fam

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a deece 6.1 figgies

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

FamDav posted:

ur welcome

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

interviewing is so universally poo poo. just keep going and bombing and then you'll randomly be offered a job. gently caress it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

lol if every job youve ever had wasnt obtained via gross nepotism/cronyism

lol indeed

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my new job was attained entirely through submitting an application into the void of a webpage. I wrote a kinda decent cover letter to go with it (because they were required) but

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

still wish I was moving to dc even if only to watch the apocalypse from the inside

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

boston has buttloads of biotech, mostly pharma. there's your usual smattering of startup software crap too. we've got a google office, a facebook, a microsoft, a couple different amazons, a twitter, a fitbit. we got our own not-uber. we got draftkings

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

so I may have accidentally emailed my boss/boss's boss/HR my signed offer letter instead of my signed notice of termination today

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it was a genuine accident but also genuinely owned

notice.pdf != signed.pdf

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Beast of Bourbon posted:

was the new offer a lot better? or was this just embarassing

like 30% better

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

qirex posted:

did you have your new offer letter on your work computer?

ya because i had to print it, sign it, and scan it lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

so how did they react? tell us the story man

the hr person just emailed me and said "you sent me the wrong thing!"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

if the hr person is cool and didn't tell anyone else about your epic fuckup
you should buy them expensive drinks and then gently caress and cum in them

regardless of gender :wink:

I also sent it two layers of management above me so lol. those two didn't even respond

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually you'll find my balls look very normal

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

actually i cant seem to find them at all

:iceburn:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

field applications engineer, aka customer support

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pmp is in many places a red flag that that person should not be allowed to pm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Management posted:

then they should be doing everything they can to keep you happy and not even needing to search for a new job. why aren't they doing that?

haveu heard of dysfunctional management

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

more like cum master

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if you don't maintain a spreadsheet of colleagues that you would go poaching given the opportunity

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the most convincing argument I made to myself in favor of changing jobs was that even though the new salary wasn't as high as I wanted it to be it still represented a larger increase in salary from my current position than all previous raises combined before accounting for new job's bonuses or lower cost of living or anything

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Maximo Roboto posted:

Anyone here tried Hired? It's an okay platform, but especially fun to lol @ the various seed stage places who are hard up looking for people and approach you even if you're under-qualified for the senior elite ninja 10x positions they advertise for. I guess it's like browsing Angelist startups except they come to you.

ya the platform as a whole declined me lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

massachusetts passed a law (taking effect next year, i think?) banning employers from asking candidates their current salary (and banning employers from preventing employees from discussing compensation) and i would love to hear about people slamming that dick down on the table during a conversation with some hr idiots

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ahmeni posted:

*kicks down the door* hello INSERT NAME HERE! didn't read anything but I have a wonderful opportunity for a position half your current salary in a language you used once 7 years ago. Benefits include: a desk, a ping pong table needlessly close to said desk. Remote working is forbidden because the CTO believes in ghosts. Please send me your CV so I may pretend to have read it in our interview. If this position is not for you, feel free to ruin your relationships by forwarding it to your colleagues.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

at my last job it was a few hours of orientation then you were expected to work; at new job it sounds like a few days of orientation at least. i've interviewed places that were more like "were gonna bootcamp you internally for minimum six months before you touch anything of value" which was kinda cool tbh (then they offered me a deece 5 figgies for a fintech job)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a fintech startup in the boston area that pays like crap

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

our last fresh hires were productive inside of a few weeks but, more than six months later, will freely admit that they don't understand the whole system

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

pretty weird for me to see all this talk about being productive in x weeks or months. in academia you can quite easily have an entire successful career without ever really getting up to speed or doing anything useful

as near as i can tell this holds true for industry as well, i think we're talking about mean-time or median-time or maybe best-case time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

grok me daddy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

TerminalRaptor posted:

Just had a candidate in today that we're going to have to pass on.
One of my team members ran into her at a career fair, and was really impressed. Said team member's husband was also there and was equally impressed. She nailed every question on the programming test, had a great resume, had a great phone screen, and when we had her in today, she just bombed on the white-boarding.

I hate doing white-boarding and I gave her what I thought was an easy question, especially since it was remarkably similar to a question she had on the programming test. I figured I was going to be spending my time seeing if they could come up with the optimal solution. She struggled the entire way through, and it was across the board, including not having a return parameter on her method (the question was a 'return x from y' type question). She didn't ask enough questions while working, as I was willing to practically walk her through it if she'd ask the right questions.

I was really hoping I was just being overly-critical as she was a graduating senior, but afterwards me and the other two interviewers (including my team member who first met her) agreed it was bad, and were all disappointed because we wanted her to ace it. I'm wondering now if she had someone review their programming test before turning it in because it was too perfect compared to what she did today. It could have also been nerves, and that makes me feel awful, but she did nothing to save herself out there.

Practice white-boarding. Programming Interviews Exposed is a great book. Unless you're dealing with a real dick of an interviewer, we're more than willing to guide you if you ask the right questions. Colleges should also do a better job prepping CS majors for interviews.

cool, you should hire them anyways

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

there are a wide variety of situations for which whiteboards and doing stuff on whiteboards is useful. coding is not one of them.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like if you're that hard on for some whiteboarding action take the biggest project on their resume and ask them to block diagram it and explain it to you, as this is a thing that whiteboards are suitable for

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I didn't even bother telling or talking to the one guy in former management that would've thrown a fit about me leaving lmao. I wonder if he even knows yet

I don't care gently caress that guy

unrelatedly apparently one of my former project managers just quit today too lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

vodkat posted:

Just got invited to my first mostly programming job interview next week :yay:

I've been asked to prepare answers for about how I would approach a project for writing a new open source library.

This isn't something I really have experience with, so I would appreciate any links or advice people might have as to how you would scope out a project like this, deal with it being open sores and I guess more specifically I should go about actually implementing something so its a usable library, rather than just a bunch of scripts that do poo poo (which is basically all that I do at the moment).

http://www.aosabook.org/en/index.html

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if your interview to offer turnaround time is only four weeks, just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol I started my new job and now I have no time to post

• Locked thread