Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

when there is a separate computing degree it's basically just treated as cs for people who didn't have the grades for cs

grades for acceptance? the trick is to transfer internally :eng101: you can be very mediocre and have a degree in miserable computers and it makes no difference out of school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Stymie posted:

Doing Labor

lol on topic. we all do labour here, yospos is the digital labourer forum

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

BONGHITZ posted:

I want money, but i dont want to work. any thoughts?

have you considered doing drugs for money, sell yourself to medical trials

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

whatever the job requirements are looking for

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Bloody posted:

i dont remember how bubblesort even works

by bubbling

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

e. vvv sydney australia, actually. poo poo-in kitchen for 350/week

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 3, 2017

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

not sure where to post this but it looks like I'm doing game dev. a reputable dude in industry wants to work with us to help us get our game to market as a producer but I'm not sure what I should know legally before any formalities or paperwork comes into question, no doubt whatever will be hashed out soon enough informally but i can't say I know much. does anyone have good resources for contracts or the like?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

leper khan posted:

there's some game law people in the game jobs thread.

got a link? not sure where it is

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Elysiume posted:

answer every question in an interview with "hashmap," even if it doesn't seem like it's a coding question. it's probably hashmaps anyway

they're good, but be able to regurgitate some implementation details. if the interview is bs cs trivia hour they might whinge about collisions in a theoretical worst case

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

wrt gpa it depends on the sort of workplace you're shooting for, some corps and environments might care, tho tbf i wouldn't want to work somewhere that explicitly asks for it or transcripts as the basis of a decision beyond proving that you did indeed finish school. if it's good and something you're proud of sure whatever but i wouldn't leave it on for all applications

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i'm not 100% sure but for some sectors like government and academia that in itself could be an advantage to you by qualifying as a disability, some applications i've seen have checkboxes if you identify as such so no need to prematurely disclose anything

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

depends on the department. with luck it's stable and can be hard to get fired from. benefits, normal working hours. not having to deal with startup or tech culture

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shaman Linavi posted:

the worst interview i ever had was with Blizzard. they opened with "so if you could be any superhero, who would you be?" and i just froze up and mumbled something about not really keeping up on my superheroes and it was all down hill from there.
luckily, it was also one of my shortest interviews!

hemo goblin

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

The Hemo-Goblin was a vampire created to help a white-supremacy group eliminate non-whites. He is notable mainly for infecting members of the New Guardians with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Stymie posted:

the technical tests are plausible deniability

i have heard from multiple people about their hiring practices is that they, by default, assume their indian and pakistani applicants all cheated to obtain their certifications and memorize common answers to technical questions and that they craft their interviews to catch them giving memorized answers

odd that it only seems endemic with indian and pakistani applicants and not the parade of dumbass white dudes who just happen to be stanford grads

there is a problem with cheating and it's complicated. you have an extremely competitive environment (was reading an article that said 1500 vacancies at a bank received more than 17 million applications) and a burdened educational system that favors rote memorization. this doesn't make it right to discriminate based on race, but these hiring practices exist for a reason as you need some way to filter through people, even if there are glaring systemic issues and cultural bias

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

in all your posting, i've never really managed to nail down what it is you do. did you at any point have a professional certification or degree of some type that would help narrow down the search, or are you pretty much just looking for "anything that will pay me without violation of bodily integrity"?

the last bit doesn't hold lol, medical guinea pig crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

JewKiller 3000 posted:

replace street parking with bike lanes. like, by law. problem solved without killing anyone

haha. I don't know if that would stop cyclist deaths the surrounding municipalities would go insane with anger

• Locked thread